Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2010, 09:39   #121
AWD
BHPian

It would be great if someone could put up the DIY tech. for a mushroom patch/inside out puncture repair. Have heard its better than the regular puncture repair from outside & prolongs tyre life.
Old 20th October 2010, 13:51   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Around 50 kms a day. Got an air inflator in the car so thats not a problem. No permanent damage to the tyre in case i delay it for a week right?
could you please give the details of the tyre infalator you are presently using in you car? also is your car running on alloys???
Old 21st October 2010, 01:33   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
It would be great if someone could put up the DIY tech. for a mushroom patch/inside out puncture repair. Have heard its better than the regular puncture repair from outside & prolongs tyre life.
AWD - The mushroom patch is safer but it is unfortunately not a DIY job since it involves removing the tyre from the rim and then repairing it. Which can only be done if one has access to a tyre changer or a trusty pair of big hammers

Wouldn't recommend DIY'ing that.
Old 21st October 2010, 09:04   #124
AWD
BHPian

Yeah forgot the tyre removal process! Still could you give the steps involved after tyre has been removed, this will help over-seeing the process while its carried out by tyre mech.

Also, what are the charges for mushroom patch?
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:02   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
could you please give the details of the tyre infalator you are presently using in you car? also is your car running on alloys???
I got the infaltor from dubai, not really sure if it is available here.
You connect the inflator to the dc power source in the car (aka Cigarette lighter socket), then inflate the tyre.

Yes i'm using alloys. The inflator will work on tubeless tyres whether they are on alloys or regular wheels.
Old 25th October 2010, 22:00   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I got the infaltor from dubai, not really sure if it is available here.
You connect the inflator to the dc power source in the car (aka Cigarette lighter socket), then inflate the tyre.

Yes i'm using alloys. The inflator will work on tubeless tyres whether they are on alloys or regular wheels.
thanx for the info, could you post a pic of tht inflater?i wanted to know about alloys coz i was told that using a punctured tubeless tyre would damage the tyre within a very short period of time. i travel in rural areas, thats why have not upgraded to tubeless. But i think your combination of an inbuilt inflater and tubeless tyre would be pretty good to use in such conditions.
Old 9th December 2010, 17:07   #127
Senior - BHPian

re: DIY Guide: How to repair a Tubeless tyre puncture!

eBay India: Car & Bike Auto Tubeless Tyre Puncture Kit (item 110619756524 end time 02-Jan-2011 15:56:15 IST)

Can anybody suggest is its a good idea to buy tubeless tyre puncture repair kit off ebay?
Old 12th January 2011, 14:20   #128
BHPian

Recently while I was went for servicing of my vehicle I found that there is a nail sitting inside the tyre. The service man asked me if I wanted to remove. But I said no

I wanted to try my first hand with the Kit which I bought recently. It was just Rs.180 and it contain a cement tube also.

Now please can some one suggest me when to apply the Cement and how ?
Old 5th February 2011, 12:53   #129
BHPian

Thanks. That was a really useful demonstrative guide for tubeless tyre puncture repair. However I have a question I see two puncture strips in the pic is it because there were two punctures? (it is only from a curiosity angle)
Old 7th March 2011, 16:37   #130
BHPian

Finally purchased the repair kit last weekend and put it to immediate use. FR tire had a screw causing a slow leak. With the right tools handy, and tire turned out to provide maximum accessibility, it took me 10 mins to get it fixed and another 5 mins to top the air using the portable compressor.

@iraghava - Thanks for the pictorial guide.

There is a nail in the RL tire, but the head seems to have sheared off. Due to non-turning wheels, it's difficult to position the tire to provide a good access as well as the required leverage to extract the nail/push the filler.

I thought I'd take off the tire, repair and put it back. BUT - the wheel cover is not coming off easily and there is no way get a cloth in and pull it out. Before I take it to a professional I like to try suggestions from this forum. Thanks!
Old 9th May 2011, 16:07   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Finally purchased the repair kit last weekend and put it to immediate use. FR tire had a screw causing a slow leak. With the right tools handy, and tire turned out to provide maximum accessibility, it took me 10 mins to get it fixed and another 5 mins to top the air using the portable compressor.

@iraghava - Thanks for the pictorial guide.

There is a nail in the RL tire, but the head seems to have sheared off. Due to non-turning wheels, it's difficult to position the tire to provide a good access as well as the required leverage to extract the nail/push the filler.

I thought I'd take off the tire, repair and put it back. BUT - the wheel cover is not coming off easily and there is no way get a cloth in and pull it out. Before I take it to a professional I like to try suggestions from this forum. Thanks!
Hey mmxylorider, can you please help me in getting a kit in Pune. Address from where you got yours from? Cost? PM me the details.

The roadside tyrewala's are charging Rs. 80 per punture . Last time I got my bike's puncture's removed, it costed me 400 bucks. I would have rather bought a kit with that amount

Also, how do you figure out if there is a leak somewhere, I mean there is no nail but there is a hole somewhere. Also, did you remove the tyre to fix the puncture?
Old 10th May 2011, 10:10   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurtazaGhiya View Post
Hey mmxylorider, can you please help me in getting a kit in Pune. Address from where you got yours from? Cost? PM me the details.

The roadside tyrewala's are charging Rs. 80 per punture . Last time I got my bike's puncture's removed, it costed me 400 bucks. I would have rather bought a kit with that amount

Also, how do you figure out if there is a leak somewhere, I mean there is no nail but there is a hole somewhere. Also, did you remove the tyre to fix the puncture?
I got mine from Nana peth. There is a tire store that also sells these kits. There are two varieties - one in a pouch, Rs 250 and another comes in the plastic wrapping , Rs 150.
I do not recollect the name of the store but it comes on your right as you enter Nana peth from Mirza Galib Road.

While you are there, I will recommend picking up a few valve stems. Steel wrapped ones are Rs 25 which the puncture guys charge Rs 200+.

If there is a leak, not plugged to some extent by a nail, it will be difficult to identify where it is. Best bet is to take it to a puncture guy and get it repaired. A local guy offered to repair a puncture with my kit with only labor from his side at Rs 40 per puncture.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:06   #133
BHPian

I also have also got same reply from a shop in Bhawanipur (not Bhanu Bhai) and said that it is better to use Foot pump. I have bought it though have not used it yet.
Old 17th June 2011, 13:35   #134

This is a great guide. Thanks iraghava.

For someone who ends spending on atleast one puncture repair per month, i find this very useful and will help in saving some money. I am also interested in buying the 12V compressor for inflating tires. Any suggestions on where I can buy the repair kit and compressor in Hyderabad? I am concerned that there are duplicate products in the market and so would like a referral please.

Cheers!
Old 17th June 2011, 14:56   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
thanx for the info, could you post a pic of tht inflater?i wanted to know about alloys coz i was told that using a punctured tubeless tyre would damage the tyre within a very short period of time. i travel in rural areas, thats why have not upgraded to tubeless. But i think your combination of an inbuilt inflater and tubeless tyre would be pretty good to use in such conditions.

Well Last month I drove from Bangalore -Shirdi (day1) , Shirdi - Bombay (Day 2) then 3 days in Bombay and back to Bangalore.

In Shirdi while leaving i noticed that the rear right tire had a screw , I left it as it is as pulling out will cause a leak and drove to Bombay and speed was above 120 on NH-3 and ghat road on ghoti was bumpy . Could not get time in Bombay for next 2 days and drove in the city and got the puncture repaired 3ed day after driving some 700 KM.

So don't think that it gets damaged so easily , I regretted not carrying a serv puncture repair kit because the repair guy charged me 120Rs.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed