Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2008, 21:22   #1
BHPian

500Km with a Tubeless Tyre puncture - Had no Clue!

Have a Swift VXi with Energy XM1s (11k old).

Last month, the rear left tyre took longer than required to fill in air. Since I was in a hurry, I shrugged and moved on.

No clue, not the slightest hint that there was a huge 1.5 inch nail in there. Drove at 120-130kmph in the weekends - remember thinking that the response over 130kmph was a bit sluggish.

This weekend, just before embarking on an outstation trip, I decided to get it checked when the tyrewala told me that there was something definitely wrong. Again, it took longer than normal to fill in air.

There it was, this nail. Repair carried out extremely professionally for 100bucks.

This set me thinking - would I have lost control at those speeds? the best way to detect a leak on a tubeless tyre?
Old 3rd November 2008, 00:43   #2
BHPian

Tubeless tires are generally designed to avoid violent blowouts as those in tubed tires. So perhaps you wouldnt have lost control, am no expert - but thats what I think.
100 bucks to remove a nail??? Costs me 60 here in Delhi!
But didnt you hear the nail while driving? Sometimes theres a "kut kut" sound as the tires moves and the nail hits the road.
Old 3rd November 2008, 01:16   #3
BHPian

i have a puncture repair kit at home so its done for free
if you maintain correct air pressure in the tire then it should be fine. no harm done i guess.
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thats quite interesting! I am contemplating switching over to tubeless. The good part is the safety, where in violent tire blowouts are avoided. Plus, you can carry on driving despite a puncture, assuming you are in the middle of nowhere or at a bad hour. However, the flipside (something like what happened to you) is equally thought provoking.
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:17   #5
BHPian

I carried a nail in tubeless tyre for 4 months and 4500km run. It was in city running and I do check air on each month's fuel refill. So never noticed. After my last long trip, I felt that steering was hard on one specific side. Tracked all tyre pressure on 2 weeks interval and found one which was loosing 30% air (from 30 psi to 20-22 psi)
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dont worry about the nail, I have a resident nail who aint paying rent for using my cars right front tyre as a safe abode. Its been 2 months and good 3k kms and I still haven't found the time to get him to vacate the place.

However I have been checking the air pressure regularly and there is a drop of about 3/4 psi every 2 weeks or so.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
i have a puncture repair kit at home so its done for free
Technically, not free. You did pay for the puncture kit, didn't you ?

I am generally averaging a puncture every fortnight, and get it repaired only on weekends so generally do a couple of 100 kms on a puntcured tire.
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:21   #8
BANNED

Btw, how much does a tubeless puncture repair cost. I recently had 2 punctures, which cost me rs.40 each to repair.
Old 4th November 2008, 10:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Btw, how much does a tubeless puncture repair cost. I recently had 2 punctures, which cost me rs.40 each to repair.
That's what the guy near to my office charges, as he has lot of competition.

One guy near to my home charges Rs 70 each and other Rs 80 each because there is no competition for them.
Old 4th November 2008, 11:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Tubeless tyres prevent sudden blow out and hence a lot of high speed accidents on highways. You will never lose balance even if you get a puncture because air comes out slowly. However, it's always good to check the tyre pressure once a fortnight. If you see repeated unusual drop in pressure in one, it means there is an embedded nail.

Here is a link to my funny account of finding a nail in my tyre in a particularly desolate stretch of Darjeeling Himalaya.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...bari-road.html
It has a video towards the end of the drive while going up through dense fog.
Old 4th November 2008, 12:01   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post

Paid about Rs 450 for the kit. 6 strips included i.e 6 punctures can be repaired.
Old 19th November 2008, 15:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Tubeless tires are generally designed to avoid violent blowouts as those in tubed tires. So perhaps you wouldnt have lost control, am no expert - but thats what I think.
100 bucks to remove a nail??? Costs me 60 here in Delhi!
But didnt you hear the nail while driving? Sometimes theres a "kut kut" sound as the tires moves and the nail hits the road.
no "kut kut", nothing at all! Well, the 100 bucks was worth the effort - the maruti servicing guys had rotated my spare 165/80 which was lying in the boot and mixed em up with my 185/70s. So I got a proper tyre rotation + repair done.
Old 19th November 2008, 15:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

tubless or tubeless

Quote:
500Km with a Tubless Tyre puncture
Another first at T-BHP, LoL . No offense meant.

Mods: Please modify thread title and delete my post.
Old 19th November 2008, 21:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

This is very interesting. Where do you drive to get a puncture every fortnight in a place like Delhi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I am generally averaging a puncture every fortnight, and get it repaired only on weekends so generally do a couple of 100 kms on a puntcured tire.
Old 19th November 2008, 21:30   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Technically, not free. You did pay for the puncture kit, didn't you ?

What about the opportunity cost ? :-)

--Wind

Most Viewed