Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2008, 17:03   #1
BHPian

Speed rating? What if I cross it?

Hi,
I guess this is a more specific question thats why I started a new thread,
I got me Bridgestone G3 in 205/60R15 and their speed rating is H for 210Kmph.
I take my car to 210-220kmph and have even topped out at 230kmph ie. the starting of the 240kmph on the speedo is where my car tops out at. :-)
This is only on the Mumbai-Pune express way. I dont obviously cross 210 for extended periods but for easily a minute or 2 or so..
My previous tyres have always been rated at 240 Kmph ie V.
Now I want to know how unsafe it is to take that car over 210 when I have tyres rated H?
What is the science behind the speed rating? And what will happen if I cross it every now and then..?
Thank you all.
Cheers,
Old 13th November 2008, 17:17   #2
BHPian

230kmph! Which car do you drive?

Exceeding the speed rating of a tyre would result in a tyre burst. You don't even want to imagine what a tyre burst at that speed can do to you, your car and other road users.

While there is no specific reason to believe that a tyre will burst as soon as you exceed the max rating, it sure is pushing the luck! Frequently exceeding the speed rating will wear out your tyres faster. Please refrain from pushing them to that speed every time, you never know when your luck may run out. Drive safe!

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Old 13th November 2008, 17:18   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanu28 View Post
I take my car to 210-220kmph and have even topped out at 230kmph ie. the starting of the 240kmph on the speedo is where my car tops out at. :-)
This is only on the Mumbai-Pune express way. I dont obviously cross 210 for extended periods but for easily a minute or 2 or so..
Oops 230Kmph on a Indian road. Well i guess we can test the top speed of our car on Mumbai-Pune express way.......

I hope you have nitrogen filled in on your tyres. Have a safe drive...

Last edited by DineshKanna : 13th November 2008 at 17:21. Reason: Missed out some information.
Old 13th November 2008, 19:58   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Your tyres will give way if you exceed the speed limit, please DON'T and drive safe! There is zero chance of survival if your tyres collapse at such a high speed.

P.S. : We must also consider that 220 on the speedo would be a realistic 200 (8 - 10% speedo error).
Old 13th November 2008, 20:07   #5
BHPian

Change your tires to high performance !!
I am thinking if your car is capable of reaching 230kmph then manufacturers I suppose should give you tires that are rated higher than that !!
I have experienced a sudden flat tyre at speed of 30kmph very hard to control, so as GTO had said its too risky (light words I guess )
Old 13th November 2008, 20:08   #6
BHPian

GTO sir well said [ the speedo error thing ]

i also do frequent 200+ kmph on a H-rated tyre

its still not safe! because they do this testing for normal roads!! ( not the concrete ones! they are bad they will blow your tyres off even before speed limits are reached it even changes for a 1degree celcius rise and fall in temperature!) for christ sake
stop pushing your luck dude!! the fact that your tyres arent staying in the 210kmph actual speed range is the fact for your good luck. dont expect them to be this good all the time!! the Mumbai-Pune express way is concrete right!!

be carefull dude
be on the safer side 200kmph
Old 13th November 2008, 20:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Youre on the edge with the tires, although youre partly safe because i assume that you are hitting 200+ only for a few seconds, the speed rating is more like for continuous driving conditions. But yes im with the general opinion, why take a chance? Get a Z rated tire for your car if you frequent 230kph.
Old 13th November 2008, 20:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

He Drives a vRs if i remember correctly.
Why play with your life when you do such high speeds
get a better rated yyre
Old 13th November 2008, 21:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

For Nanu28, I've only one word to say - INSANE. What and to whom you are trying to prove?

Please don't play with your life and that of others...
Old 13th November 2008, 23:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
For Nanu28, I've only one word to say - INSANE. What and to whom you are trying to prove?

Please don't play with your life and that of others...
Sir you point is taken and all other members who warn me. Thank you and I hear your advise.
I am not trying to prove anything to anyone and yes I do care for my life.
Thats is one of the reasons I posted it, I just wanted to know the science behind it and if lets say 10% margin was safe enough, (well I realise at that speed is nothing is really too safe)

Yes I drive a 1.8Tpi+K&N all stock.
I generally cruise at about 150-160Kms on the express way which I am sure most Skodas do (Don't know about Fabia) . If you are well versed with the express way there are 2 very very long straights one either side of Lonavala which are very tempting and thats the only place where I touch those speeds and really open the engine if it is all clear, but it is about 4 times a month. Anyhow please I dont want to prove anything to anyone, I just posted this to know what would happen if I did so for say 2-3 mins max..?

The car is not rated really at 230 it is the speedo error as GTO says it is only at about 200-210Max I doubt this car reaches 230!! So yes I am right on the edge of the tyre..?

What happens to the tyre at the speed, eccessive expansion due to heat?
I also realse the roads and esp. concrete is not good for the tyres..

Anyhow I have heard your words and I will drive with care.
Old 14th November 2008, 00:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well as everyone has mentioned above, dont do this again for your safety.
All I can say is deduct 10-15kmph from the maximum speed rating of the tyre.
If you want to move fast, get higher grade tyres.
Tyres are the only four contact patch the car has with road. Avoid messing up with these.
Old 14th November 2008, 00:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Just to be on the safer side, you should always buy tyres that have a speed rating of atleast 15-20kmph higher than what your car is capable of doing.

This makes sure that even at top speed, the tyres aren't being pushed to their limit.

So make sure you limit yourself to around 190-195 until you get "V" rated tyres.

Shan2nu
Old 14th November 2008, 01:12   #13
BHPian

As everyone mentioned above please do not take any risk, that too on Indian roads.
OT: Isn't there any electronic speed limit in the gearbox for Skoda?.
I have a Passat and it has speed limit in the gearbox. The maximum I reached was 230 or 240kmps(including the speedo error). But the maximum speed written in the car near the steering is 209kmph.
Old 14th November 2008, 06:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
While there is no specific reason to believe that a tyre will burst as soon as you exceed the max rating, it sure is pushing the luck! Frequently exceeding the speed rating will wear out your tyres faster. Please refrain from pushing them to that speed every time, you never know when your luck may run out. Drive safe!
Max speed rating of a tyre is the speed at which the tyre can run for a specific amount of time(I think it was somewhere around 10-15 minutes) without disintegrating structurally.

So it is not as if the tyre disintegrates as soon as it reaches or exceeds the maximum speed, but the longer you keep at it, the shorter your odds of meeting the almighty get.

It should also be kept in mind that the speed rating is for a new undamaged tyre. For a tyre that has seen huge potholes, bumps etc, it is better not to trust it to it's limits. If doing such high speeds, get a tyre which has a higher speed rating.
Old 17th May 2009, 18:35   #15
BHPian

does anyone know if there is a time limit for the speed rating on tires?

say for example you have H rated tires so you can go upto 210 kmph, but for how long can you do this speed safely? 10/30/60mins?

for argument sake lets assume this is on a track where you can stay at 210 kmph for extended periods of time.

ive searched all over google but couldt find the answer, maybe my googling skills are not good enough.

nevermind: i found the answer, its 10mins. so even if you have V rated tires you cannot do 240 for more than 10 mins, thats crazy!

Last edited by cheap_deal : 17th May 2009 at 18:37. Reason: found answer

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks