Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 11:10   #31
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tyres for Mercedes Benz E-Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
C is much better than A and also better than S drive in the wet. Check out the yokohama tire positioning at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...0-hyd-expo.jpg

..I am a big C.Drive fan. Great grip with silent and cushy ride!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I have driven the A Drives in the wet extensively at highway speeds and wasn't disappointed. I think that it is a great tyre and severely under-rated. Honestly, don't knock it before you try it!

I got 4 new A Drives, but didn't stick to the stock size. I went in for 205/65/R15, the comfort is much improved and the car looks a little more muscular.
Sorry was late in suggesting something. But did the YOKO dealer not suggest the YOKO ES501db - More comfort and lesser db noise vs A, C & S Drives?

Had used S Drives on the Laura and they were back breaking, as per their India Chart the ES501 is a permium (mid premium) tyre that is specifically for cars like the Merc.

A drives though should be better than S Drives for comfort. I am not sure of which was better between the A & C though.
Old 27th February 2013, 12:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Have been using Yokohama DB Decibel's on the Mercedes Benz E200 Kompressor W211 since 3 years.
Brilliant tyres they are.Totally comfort oriented and they offer good grip too.
Surely,money spent well.

Have used both the A Drive and the C Drive till date.
The Corolla and the Honda City ZX ran on A Drive's whereas the Honda City i-VTEC and the Getz ran on C Drive's.
C Drive's cost a few more hundreds than the A Drive's,personally found the C Drive to be better.Both tyres are equally silent,its just that the C has better grip and looks slightly better than the A.
Old 27th February 2013, 12:57   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Sorry was late in suggesting something. But did the YOKO dealer not suggest the YOKO ES501db - More comfort and lesser db noise vs A, C & S Drives?

Had used S Drives on the Laura and they were back breaking, as per their India Chart the ES501 is a permium (mid premium) tyre that is specifically for cars like the Merc.

A drives though should be better than S Drives for comfort. I am not sure of which was better between the A & C though.
I asked about the decibel series and was told that the price difference wasn't worth it.

The A drives are extremely comfortable, good in the rain, quiet at high speeds, and don't wear out too fast (they will last a little less than 40K kilometers). They aren't meant for track days, but apart from that, I'd recommend them for everyday use, be it in the city or on the highway.

Also, a word of warning. The 205/65/R15 will probably scrape against the car if the suspension was not recently done up. You might need to change the shocker pads to the number 3 or 4 ones to insure that the tyres don't scrape the mud guard/body.
Old 27th February 2013, 13:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I asked about the decibel series and was told that the price difference wasn't worth it.
Having used both tyres for more than 30,000kms on each car,I can definitely vouch with my limited knowledge that the DB Decibel is far more superior to the A Drive.

Yes,the A Drives are good tyres but the DB Decibel is way better than the A.The tyre noise is much lesser and the grip offered is better.One problem with the A drive is that after they run 25-30k,they start getting punctured very often.

So if someone does not want to spend too much and wants comfort tyres,get the A if not then get DB Decibel.
Old 27th February 2013, 13:30   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Having used both tyres for more than 30,000kms on each car,I can definitely vouch with my limited knowledge that the DB Decibel is far more superior to the A Drive.

Yes,the A Drives are good tyres but the DB Decibel is way better than the A.The tyre noise is much lesser and the grip offered is better.One problem with the A drive is that after they run 25-30k,they start getting punctured very often.

So if someone does not want to spend too much and wants comfort tyres,get the A if not then get DB Decibel.
Oh well, too late now. Thanks for the information. The A Drives on my E220 have done about 20K so far, so we'll find out soon enough how they last.
Old 27th February 2013, 13:34   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh well, too late now. Thanks for the information. The A Drives on my E220 have done about 20K so far, so we'll find out soon enough how they last.
The Honda City ZX had done 40,000kms with the A Drive's when we sold it,then it did another 15,000kms with the new owner.
The Corolla has done 45,000kms on its set of A Drive's.

So expect your set to last 45,000-50,000kms easily.
cityvic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed