Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2008, 10:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Riju, mostly means more than 50%. I dont agree with that. I would say more than 50% of sidewall bulges are caused by impacts or damages. This is from my experience.
Nikhil I agree with your POV. The thing is that many of the cases of sidewall bulges what has been discussed here is manufacturing defects. I have seen threads pointing to the same. We could speculate on this for the rest of the day, a simple research using google also speaks of getting a warranty replacements in case of a sidewall bulge.

I seldom read about taking a hit and then a sidewall bulge, hence my statement.
Old 24th December 2008, 11:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I seldom read about taking a hit and then a sidewall bulge, hence my statement.
If a person is claiming warranty on the tyre for a side wall bulge issue after a hit, then trust me you will not read about it anywhere. Until and unless the person is Sathya Harish Chandra himself.
Old 24th December 2008, 14:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
If a person is claiming warranty on the tyre for a side wall bulge issue after a hit, then trust me you will not read about it anywhere. Until and unless the person is Sathya Harish Chandra himself.
Very true.

Most people (read as non-TBHPians ) think because there is no damage on the outside of the tyre, they can get away.

Anyway, peace mate.

Conclusion: If you have a sidewall bulge, try your luck with the company! :
Old 24th December 2008, 15:00   #19

I thought this is the most appropriate thread to post in and hence posting here.

I have a Palio Stile which has done 5000+ kms. It runs on stock tubeless tyres (not sure which brand). A few days back, I took a turn towards my office and drove over a rectangular block of stone (the kind used to pave footpaths) and there was a pop sound. I drove the remaining 100 mts to my house and parked the car. Its only then I noticed that the rear tyre was completely flat.

That tyre has a 1.5 inch tear on the sidewall. No damage to the rim though. I approached Bridgestone on Outer Ring Rd and they told me that sidewall damage cant be repaired and I might as well dump that tyre in the trash bin. Is this true or are you guys aware of repairing sidewall tears? If it can be repaired, is it safe to use & who does it in Blore?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Old 24th December 2008, 15:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

@stopOKgo - As far as I know sidewall cannot be repaired. There is a procedure for plugging very small holes on the sidewalls, but even with that most people recommend to use that tyre as a spare. Using it as a spare is fine for city driving scenarios but a complete no-no for highway driving.

In my recommendation, don't try any repairs and just get a new tyre and discard this one.
Old 24th December 2008, 15:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

I too second Vikram about abstaining from repairs (tyres and sometimes people talk about getting their alloy wheels repaired ) as it is not safe to ride on such tyres, after all its valuable human lives, just my thought.
Old 24th December 2008, 19:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

WHile googling for possible damage due to taking a hit. i found this interesting ppt presentation http://www.flashfituk.co.uk/PROBABLE...TO%20TYRES.ppt Thus a bulge on the sidewall is an indicator of carcass damage.
(Loved the first slide)
Old 24th September 2013, 22:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: How do you know your tubeless tyre is damaged?

Need your help.

I got a puncture in my Ritz' rear right tire. On close inspection I found strange cracks on the tire grooves. the cracks are there all round the tire and is highest near the bald area. Any idea how these cracks are developed?

How do you know your tubeless tyre is damaged?-ritz-back-rear-tire.jpg
This is a 4 year old 38000 km run tire. For the last 4 weeks, road works are happening in my area; so I had driven over some metal road surfaces like the picture below (roughly 2-3 km a week @ 10-20kmph)
How do you know your tubeless tyre is damaged?-metal-road.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks