Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

How do you know your tubeless tyre is damaged?

Hi Team, I drove down to bangy on sunday the 21 and on the ankola hubli sector hit a big pothole at high speed. Later i noticed the front rim was bent but the tyre pressure is ok. A tyre wallah (GOOD YEAR Indranagar RTO) hammered out the bend and said all OK. then got alignment and balancing done.
My question is how does one know if the sidewall is damaged? does it develop a bulge or what? Can one do any sort of test. as I see it for a rim to get bent the sidewall must have flattened out when the wheel hit the edge of the pot hole. This could have safety implications.
regards
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sidewall damage generally is visible and the best way to find out is by visual inspection once you have taken a hit . In some cases , you tend loose pressure in the tires.

Sidewall bulges are mostly manufacturing defects.
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Sidewall damage generally is visible and the best way to find out is by visual inspection once you have taken a hit . In some cases , you tend loose pressure in the tires.

Sidewall bulges are mostly manufacturing defects.
I beg to disagree.

90% of the sidewall bulges are caused by hits to a pothole or something. You can see the inside of the tyre and make out.

Maybe most ofthe manufacturing defects show up as sidewall bulges, but the reverse isnt true.
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:10   #4
BHPian

what are the course of action for a tyre which has a sidewall bulge
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing to be honest. Changing the tyre is the best, safest and most expensive option. If it is under warranty and there are no visible signs of damage on the inside or outside of tyre, you can claim a replacement under warranty.

Sometimes, you can run the tyre with a tube in it.
Old 23rd December 2008, 18:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Sometimes, you can run the tyre with a tube in it.
This should be done only in an emergency.
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

My car's front right tyre has a cut (about an inch long) in the sidewall, about half way between the rim and the contact surface. It's at a slight angle to radial. Since I've been in the city and not doing high speeds, I haven't changed it and have been checking the pressure every few days. It's been a couple of weeks now without losing any more pressure than normal. I was thinking of keeping it as the stepney, but is it worth it? The tyre is fairly new (6500 kms).
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
My car's front right tyre has a cut (about an inch long) in the sidewall, about half way between the rim and the contact surface. It's at a slight angle to radial. Since I've been in the city and not doing high speeds, I haven't changed it and have been checking the pressure every few days. It's been a couple of weeks now without losing any more pressure than normal. I was thinking of keeping it as the stepney, but is it worth it? The tyre is fairly new (6500 kms).
If you are going to run your car only in the city then you can risk it. But if you are taking it out for highway drives then I would recommend that you replace it and not even use it as a spare.
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks vikram_d. I thought I might have to do something that would result in a lot of money being spent.

Anyone have any thoughts on Cooper tubeless? They come with a 60000km guarantee against everything, including rips and cuts. Something like what Apollo had a while ago.
Old 24th December 2008, 07:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I beg to disagree.

90% of the sidewall bulges are caused by hits to a pothole or something. You can see the inside of the tyre and make out.

Maybe most ofthe manufacturing defects show up as sidewall bulges, but the reverse isnt true.
So the bottom line is that if i have no sidewall bulge the tyre is OK???
Old 24th December 2008, 08:07   #11
BHPian

I too faced similar situation. my santro hit a big pothole at 70kmph and i stopped the car for inspecting the tyre and the rim was slightly bent and the wheel cover has come out and couldn't fit in because of the inflated rim. so i drove slowly till i reached a road side tyre puncture repair shop. That guy successfully tried to get the rim back to its shape and i still had to do 350 kms to reach my city. i took the risk with that temporary repaired wheel but no problems whatsoever. i am thinking about upgrading to Fusion and so im going to sell the santro and i dont have any plan to change the tyre/wheel now.
Old 24th December 2008, 08:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
So the bottom line is that if i have no sidewall bulge the tyre is OK???
Not necessarily. Get the tyre removed from the wheel and and have it inspected from the inside. If you don't find any nicks or cuts on the inside then everything is ok.
Old 24th December 2008, 08:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hold on to your guns mate, I only said mostly that dint mean 100% . Lets say you take a hit at a speed of 100kmph, it could lead to a sidewall crack than a bulge. I speak from my personal experience now after having taken a hit quite recently and also a fellow bhp'ians experience.
Old 24th December 2008, 09:17   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Riju, mostly means more than 50%. I dont agree with that. I would say more than 50% of sidewall bulges are caused by impacts or damages. This is from my experience.
Old 24th December 2008, 09:42   #15

If you have a sidewall cut or bulge on the tyre it is recommended to take the tyre to a tyre professional demount it and get it checked, only after which decide the fate of the tyre. If there is cut on the inner side of the tyre discard the tyre immediatly cause u never know when it might rupture out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks