Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2013, 19:42   #61
BHPian

Re: Wheel locking nuts

I'm looking to buy the a set of M14x1.5 lock nuts (McGard) for my XUV. I'm thinking these are the same as those used for the Scorpio. My concern is that if the weight of the lock nut is not the same as the remaining OE nuts, then it might cause balancing issues. Like the Scorpio, there are 5 nuts. If there were 6, I could buy a pair and balance out the weight. I would appreciate help in identifying the closest make that I need to select on Amazon so that this aspect is taken care off. Here's a link to the product - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028090JM/...I33IK1BW9TBEHC.

I could weigh an OE nut and then ask the seller to tell me which one is the closest fit. But thought I should check here before I do that.

TIA
Old 30th November 2013, 11:25   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I'm looking to buy the a set of M14x1.5 lock nuts (McGard) for my XUV. I'm thinking these are the same as those used for the Scorpio. My concern is that if the weight of the lock nut is not the same as the remaining OE nuts, then it might cause balancing issues. Like the Scorpio, there are 5 nuts. If there were 6, I could buy a pair and balance out the weight. I would appreciate help in identifying the closest make that I need to select on Amazon so that this aspect is taken care off. Here's a link to the product - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028090JM/...I33IK1BW9TBEHC.

I could weigh an OE nut and then ask the seller to tell me which one is the closest fit. But thought I should check here before I do that.

TIA

Could you please explain the significance of the hex size that I see associated to the wheel locks. In some cases i see 19mm and sometimes 22 mm. Are these significant? I own a Thar CRDE and am still on the look out for wheel lock nuts.

Thank you.
Old 30th November 2013, 21:56   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootraj View Post
Could you please explain the significance of the hex size that I see associated to the wheel locks. In some cases i see 19mm and sometimes 22 mm. Are these significant? I own a Thar CRDE and am still on the look out for wheel lock nuts.

Thank you.
The only significance I see is that you might need to use two different sizes of spanners if you use the wrong size. I think the Thar also uses the same nuts as the Scorpio and XUV. So if you select a 22 size nut, you could use the spanner that came with the car.

But that's the least of your problems. The first thing is the thread size. The second is whether it's going to be an open end nut or a closed end. Their closed end nut of the same size is significantly longer than the existing nuts. Their open nuts might lead to an exposed end of bolt that could get damage or could rust. So make the right call.
triedeverything is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 12:12   #64

hi,
What size can we order for swift vdi ? is it possible to fit these into stock rims ?
Old 11th May 2016, 20:16   #65
BHPian

Folks, have posted this already on another thread.

Need some help here. I am based out of Pune and am looking for lock nuts for my S-Cross alloys. Anyone has idea where I can source this from? Can't trust the local accessories shop.
Or would anyone know good brands that I can get from a friend in Germany?
Old 11th May 2016, 20:32   #66
BHPian

Try hot tracks in Bangalore. They are official importers of WePro and might have imported locking nuts as well since they are official importers for OZ Wheels too.

Last edited by WasavaTyres : 11th May 2016 at 20:33. Reason: grammar.
WasavaTyres is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2016, 22:58   #67
BHPian

Thank you. I tried them. They didn't seem interested, gave me a couple of numbers to call and someone told me they will get back as they were busy.
Few others I tried didn't really give me the confidence that these nuts are tough to open.
I ended up ordering McGard from Amazon. Cost me like 4K. Had purchased a Xiomi for my mom at that price during some sale. Damn!
Old 10th August 2019, 12:04   #68
BHPian

Bought & fitted the Wheel Lock Bolts (M14x1.5) from AliExpress for my Skoda Rapid. The Bolt fitted perfectly without any issues.

The finish of the item was good. The seller charged me $2 for an additional spare key, which I asked for. The Bolts reached me in 18 days from the date of ordering.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32276452772.html
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel locking nuts-img_20190810_090924.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-img_20190810_092248.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-img_20190810_0931291.png  

Old 28th November 2019, 00:29   #69
BHPian

Ive been thinking of getting wheel locking nuts my Vento tsi for a while now. On my visit to Goa last week some character relieved the rear tyres of the centre wheel caps (ones with the VW logo on it). Anyways that got me
thinking and i decided it was better to be safe than sorry as far as the tyres were concerned. After some online research, i decided to call up my regular SA at VW and enquired about the availability of wheel locks.
Fortunately they were available and he asked me to pop over.
I did think about the gorilla wheel locks as well but then decided to go with the original VW part.
One goes on each wheel, pictures attached of the nuts and the key to open it.
Only one key socket is supplied and the SA said it would not be possible to get another one and to keep this one VERY carefully. Since its an original VW accessory I'm guessing the quality and strength of the material
used should be upto scratch. Apparently this is part of the kit that goes with the Jetta and Passat but fits the Vento as well.
I returned the black caps for the bolts because they're made of plastic and seemed like they'd fall off soon as the tyre hit a pothole or bump.
The cost was Rs.3196 and the bolts were fitted onto the tyres by the technician at the service centre.
Have kept the socket key 'carefully' along with the stepney in the boot.
The SA mentioned that the part was an M18 size but Im not sure about that.

[Here's some interesting OT info on the origin of the word stepney http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryofthewo...6SeIqZLvZVfXQ]

Well, hopefully some peace of mind when leaving the car parked in unfamiliar areas, be it day or night.
cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel locking nuts-img_2518.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-img_2519.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-img_2520.jpg  

famousshoes is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 10:36   #70
BANNED

I bought a set from the UK never used them. Why, the fear of losing the key nut cover. There was only one.
Old 13th March 2021, 09:28   #71
BHPian

Nudging this thread. I'm looking to secure my 5th Gen Honda city's alloy wheels. Please let me know the sizes and how many lug nuts I should buy. I'm not sure of which brand to buy also.

I'm based in Chennai. Suggestions of vendors here would be really appreciated. Since this can be a DIY, suggestions from Amazon will be great.

Regards,
lsjey
Old 13th March 2021, 12:13   #72
MSC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
Nudging this thread. I'm looking to secure my 5th Gen Honda city's alloy wheels. Please let me know the sizes and how many lug nuts I should buy. I'm not sure of which brand to buy also.

I'm based in Chennai. Suggestions of vendors here would be really appreciated. Since this can be a DIY, suggestions from Amazon will be great.

Regards,
lsjey
I hope this helps you out. I am using the same for my Hyundai Venue which was a perfect fit for the wheel studs. Quality wise they have got a nice feeling and sufficient weight. They are not like usual feather light nuts available. However I am not sure of the thread size is same. But the seller has told someone in its question-answer that this fits Honda Civic. You can take the plunge and if not fit for your car, you can return it. Just make sure of one thing that when you screw it onto your car, don't use the key to tighten the nuts immediately. First screw in the nuts very gently with a light hand. If you feel any resistance, it should indicate the threads do not match and you need to stop immediately. If you can screw it on easily without any resistance, you can use the key to screw it tightly later when you can't twist it more with your hands.
Also, you get two keys instead of the usual one key which is the norm. The key has also been a perfect fit on the original nut spanner given by Hyundai. So no extra buying of a matching spanner.
Also, they cost around 1500 for a set of four nuts and two keys. You can use one nut on each tire and that should be sufficient. However, if you are a bit paranoid about only one secure nut, you can go in for as many as nuts you like. But in my opinion, one secure nut on each tire should be sufficient.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07GJJXYFQ/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Have a look on the nuts shod on my Venue.
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel locking nuts-screenshot_20210313120742__01.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-screenshot_20210313120806__01.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-screenshot_20210313120816__01.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-screenshot_20210313120822__01.jpg  

MSC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 10:38   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post

TIA

Hi, sorry to bump an old thread but did you find an answer to your question? I'm looking to buy a set of anti theft bolts for my Polo and I have the same question as you did.
Old 20th December 2023, 20:38   #74
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread with insights on wheel nuts for my Creta scheduled for delivery tomorrow

I shared a YouTube short screen shot with the Hyundai accessories guy which showed genuine Hyundai wheel locks with pricing (attached)

He confirmed that it can be ordered and delivered in 2 weeks

I was also researching how a determined thief can defeat most of the wheel locks given time (excellent YouTube comparision of wheel locks attached)

Looks like the best thing we can do is delay the thief with time impediments, which makes it not worth their while for a quick getaway

I plan to go ahead and order the Hyundai wheel lock genuine accessory (2 weeks delivery timeline)

My research is ongoing on McGard Wheel locks (US made import) though am not sure what size to order for a Creta R17 2023 alloy wheel

Any pointers from anyone who has used McGard Wheel locks would be very appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel locking nuts-img20231216wa0012.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-screenshot_20231220202903581-1.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-screenshot_20231220202921232-1.jpg  

Old 10th January 2024, 14:27   #75
BHPian

To update, i received and got the Hyundai security wheel nut installed at the Hyundai ASC on my Creta SXO (Yokohoma tyres 225/60 R17)

Received four security nuts and one key in the package

The installation went smooth with the security nut having no outward protrusions and flush with wheel alloy surface

Attaching snaps of the wheel nut from different angles
Attached Thumbnails
Wheel locking nuts-p_20240110_140350.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-p_20240110_140156.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-p_20240110_140215.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-p_20240110_140237.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-p_20240110_140515.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-p_20240110_140527.jpg  

Wheel locking nuts-p_20240110_140610_1.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks