Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 17:26   #1
BHPian

Stock Swift tyres getting bulges.

My Swift (2006) stock JK tyres seem to be nearing their end of life. Yesterday went for a Nitrogen refill afer 6 months. The guys there ran their hands over the sidewalls and identified slight bulges on 3 out of the 4 tyres. Immediately changed the replaced the front 2 with the good ones including the spare tyre. The faulty ones were put in the rear wheels.
The tyres with Mfg Year as 1906 ( 19th week of 2006 ) are otherwise find and I have not had even a single puncture or road gripping issues in the last 3 years.
I was under the impression that it will last me for 4 years. Now options given to me are replace with Bridgestone for Rs. 2500 odd for one OR Yokohama for Rs 3500 for one.

Suggestions are welcomed.
Old 13th April 2009, 20:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

2006 model? i have a 2002 model Palio still running fine on stock Bridgestone tyres. But then again i have a low mileage Palio at 33K over last 7 years! How much have you run?
Old 13th April 2009, 20:37   #3
BHPian

Replacing tyres merely because of these claimed "bulges" seems a bit excessive to me. My Zen stock MRFs are perfectly fine after 8 years and 46k km. This could be a good way to scam an unsuspecting car lover into buying new shoes.

One only needs to look at the state of the average bald, wobbly, overfilled lorry tyre to see that they can take a fair amount of abuse! A little tummy bulge never hurt anyone, as I keep telling my parents

Perhaps pictures would help the tyre gurus aid you in diagnosis!
Old 14th April 2009, 01:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Tyre bulges and tummy bulges both are bad news! Can't live with either.

Jokes aside, a bulging tyre may not be safe to use!

Seems your JK tyres are not of the best quality. The GoodYears on our car lasted some 6 -7 years and about 45,000 km. No bulges or any other problems. Can you see these bulges yourself? One thing you could do is get that wheel on a balancing machine... might give you an idea as to how severe the problem is.
Old 14th April 2009, 01:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Seems like the faulty tyres which some Swifts are coming with. My friend's Swift has the same problem on one of his tyres which has done only 10k. Although his stock tyres are not JK.
Old 14th April 2009, 15:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
Replacing tyres merely because of these claimed "bulges" seems a bit excessive to me. My Zen stock MRFs are perfectly fine after 8 years and 46k km. This could be a good way to scam an unsuspecting car lover into buying new shoes.
The bulges can be felt while caressing the sidewalls. But not convinced that they would be dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
Seems like the faulty tyres which some Swifts are coming with. My friend's Swift has the same problem on one of his tyres which has done only 10k. Although his stock tyres are not JK.
Mine has also covered 12 K.
My stock tyres are JK Tornado.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th April 2009 at 23:40. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 14th April 2009, 15:37   #7
BHPian

Its a too early replacement at 12K kms, if you are going for - for sure!

Yes its risky running on bulges, a simple smack by a stone or something onto that bulge could cause some real damage. And also I assume its tubeless require some real attention now? Tubed tyres the shops normally pad-up to avoid any surprises, not sure if its possible with tubeless ones.

Why not check with some tyre experts and see what could be the reason for this, if 3 out of 4 had issues, possibility of defective pieces or something else (constant rides on bad roads or something?) It would help you in the future at least!
Old 14th April 2009, 19:39   #8

The front left tyre (JK tyres) of my Swift had a bulge, which I pointed out to the Maruti guys. The defective tyre was replaced with a new one since the car was still under warranty.
Old 16th April 2009, 23:37   #9
BHPian

12K is way too early to replace the tires. But mileage or no mileage after 4-5 years the rubber compound would beging to deteriorate and begin to be unsafe. Bulges for normal speed usage shouldnt affect your safety. Also you hould be covered under warranty if you have the extended warranty ? Please do get in touch with your dealer regarding this.
Old 16th April 2009, 23:52   #10
BHPian

The stock JKs that Maruti provides are rubbish. This is common knowledge. However, bulges after 12k km seems to be too much even for these. I ran my stock JKs on my M800 for about 50k km without any serious issue. A friend ran his stock Alto tyres for 65k km . They were completely bald but sidewalls were ok.
Suggest you go and give the dealer a hard time. This usually works. If replacing, Yokos are good. Search the forum for the correct upsize.
Old 26th April 2009, 11:57   #11
BHPian

I had bulges in my stock JK tyres on the day my car was delivered. As a result the Michelin tyre dealer gave me only 900Rs as exchange rate for the JK tyres. I myself touched and felt the bulges in all four tyres
Old 28th April 2009, 12:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
My Swift (2006) stock JK tyres seem to be nearing their end of life. Yesterday went for a Nitrogen refill afer 6 months. The guys there ran their hands over the sidewalls and identified slight bulges on 3 out of the 4 tyres. Immediately changed the replaced the front 2 with the good ones including the spare tyre. The faulty ones were put in the rear wheels.
The tyres with Mfg Year as 1906 ( 19th week of 2006 ) are otherwise find and I have not had even a single puncture or road gripping issues in the last 3 years.
I was under the impression that it will last me for 4 years. Now options given to me are replace with Bridgestone for Rs. 2500 odd for one OR Yokohama for Rs 3500 for one.

Suggestions are welcomed.
@emkay456,

Can you provide the information, on which Pump location are you getting the Nitrogen filled in Mumbai ?
Old 29th April 2009, 11:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
@emkay456,

Can you provide the information, on which Pump location are you getting the Nitrogen filled in Mumbai ?
I stay in Navi Mumbai and get it filled at Wheelworld ( Tyre & Wheel alignment shop) just below the Vashi flyover (over the Railway lines) towards Palm Beach. It is a shop in the Shah group of buildings.
Old 14th May 2009, 16:19   #14
BHPian

I completely forgot to inform you guys about this,

I have a 2007 Swift VDi, at around 10,000 kms I got a tyre changed because there was uneven wear and tear, to check this remove the tyre and run your palm on the tyre contact surface if you feel bumps and depressions there is a problem.

Problem not prominent in 20,000 kms service, but again back

I kept shouting and howling about something wrong with the suspension but the dealer didn't pay heed to it, got the car serviced at 30,000 kms in Hyderabad, again to see the problem back like at 10,000 kms, by this time I was out with patience and mailed Maruti, within 2-3 days I got a call from the dealer and the South Zone Manager, they took the car and told me that most Suzuki Swifts before a certain chassis number (240XX, was not able to capture last two digits) had rear wheel spindle (the part on which the drum sits) manufacturing defect if they repeatedly develop uneven tyre wear.

They took the car and replaced 2 tyres (around Rs.2400) and two rear spindles (around Rs. 1200) all free of cost since my car was under warranty (I am least worried since I have extended warranty and will end in 2011)

Guys with Swift chassis number 240XX need to get this checked, and if they do not respond, just mail Maruti

By the way my tyres too were JK

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 14th May 2009 at 16:21.
Old 14th May 2009, 16:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
I got a call from the dealer and the South Zone Manager, they took the car and told me that most Suzuki Swifts before a certain chassis number (240XX, was not able to capture last two digits) had rear wheel spindle (the part on which the drum sits) manufacturing defect if they repeatedly develop uneven tyre wear.

Guys with Swift chassis number 240XX need to get this checked, and if they do not respond, just mail Maruti

By the way my tyres too were JK
Believe you are talking about the last five digits on the chassis number. Kindly confirm if the issue is for the numbers before or after 240xx.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks