Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2009, 18:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

I got the Rs.50 puncture done - the first time and then again today morning.

I've not yet seen any doing the second type of puncture repair on tubeless tyres here in Gurgaon or Delhi - generally speaking, since I've not explored tyre repair shops in detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
GD - what type of puncture repair did you do ? The Rs50 puncture repair where the repair wala first pierces the punctured area with a crude tool and makes it wider and then forces in a sticky fibrous long rubber piece - this one i have my doubts lasts long because its done from outside

i am told there is a more expensive fix which is done from INSIDE the tire using some costly machines and the net result is a small cylindrical tube of rubber sticking out from inside. this costs Rs250 ( in chennai atleast ) and my guess is this is a better fix to punctures than the one available in many small shops here in Gurgaon
Old 21st April 2009, 18:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

GD- sab- you can check with your friend in sector 14. there is indeed the puncture methot done from inside, as confirmed by a few other members in this thread.

and the kit looks like just a thin cylindrical string of rubber. it will not be that greasy fibrous thing that is used in the Rs50 puncture kit
Old 21st April 2009, 18:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Puncture has been re-repaired as you can see in the OP. I'm loathe to putting a tube. I tried calling him but couldn't get through. Hope he reads it here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
How about re-repairing the puncture ?? As putting on tube will lead to wobbling due to uneven balance in tyres, else put tubes in both tyres !!

Have you tinkled Ishaan ?
Thanks Tanveer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
GD I have had Apollo aceleres with multiple punctures. After repair there was no pressure loss even after 10000kms of touring on the toughest roads.
I think the problem could be a defective puncture repair kit.
You can also go for path repair, where a patch is stuck on the inside.
How do you do the old fashioned way in a tubeless?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I prefer repairs the old fashioned way. Take the tyre off (use proper tools), and put a patch on the puncture. This way any peripheral damage is also covered. In the 70s the push in 9external) repairs were only considered temporary and we good for at most 100 miles. Proper repairs were supposed to be what I have outlined above
If the pressure loss is detected again then I will visit..Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithin.g.balaji View Post
Hi,
Sometimes when the puncture is a little big it happens. The right way to repair this is getting a mushroom patch from the inside. If you drop into any of the Michelin priority partner or a bridgestone select showroom in your city, they'll be able to solve it for you. Its a regular phenomenon.
Yes Narayan, will do so if the problem remains unsolved. Thanks mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
GD- sab- you can check with your friend in sector 14. there is indeed the puncture methot done from inside, as confirmed by a few other members in this thread.

and the kit looks like just a thin cylindrical string of rubber. it will not be that greasy fibrous thing that is used in the Rs50 puncture kit

Last edited by gd1418 : 21st April 2009 at 18:29.
Old 24th April 2009, 00:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Any decent tyre shop can do a good job. Sometimes if the hole is too big, the tyre shop wallahs dont want to send away a customer and they dont tell him the truth.

The ideal thing should be to inform the customer that it will not be possible to do a 100% job.
Old 15th July 2016, 09:44   #20
BHPian

Re: Tubeless Tyre issues

Could not find a relevant thread so bumping this up

I see wires protruding out of my spare tyre (never been used in last 4 years). Is it safe? Time to change?

Query - What reason can be for wires coming out when the tyre was not even used. Is it age?
Old 15th July 2016, 09:52   #21
BANNED

At one time the push in plug was considered temporary repair, but they have improved. Yes, often the plug is made of rubber and fibre.

Michelin recommends taking the tyre off the rim, and then putting in a mushroom patch. i will not try to outguess Michelin.
Old 15th July 2016, 11:45   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - in my opinion, there are two "correct" ways and one "not-preferred" way of repairing punctures in tubeless tires. The two correct ways are as follows:

1. Install a mushroom bung from inside the tire: to do so, it is necessary to remove the tire from the wheel rim, remove the foreign object from the tire, cut a hole of minimum diameter through the tire carcass either by using a very small drill or a thin hand held taper reamer, roughen the inner surface of the tire to increase the friction between the tire and bung to allow the bung to adhere perfectly, choose the correct diameter bung suitable for the application, apply air-drying sealant to the interface of the bung with the tire, insert the bung guide through the carcass till the bung sits concentric with the hole, pull the bung guide through the carcass and hold it for around 1 minute to allow the initial seal to form, let the assembly cure for around 10 minutes (means leave it alone), pull the bung guide again, keep it pulled and at the same time apply a little air drying sealant to the shaft of the bung guide which is protruding from the tire, let it cure for around 10 minutes and then cut the bung guide. Assemble the tire on the wheel rim in such a way so as to ensure that the affected section is the intital portion of the tire going on the wheel rim, so as not to unduly stress this section which happens when the last bit overrides the rim and goes in place. Fill air in the tire upto 80% of the normal tire pressure which should be sufficient to ensure that the bead has located concentric to the wheel rim, remove the air and fill it again exactly upto the recommended tire pressure. Check the pressure with a digital gage and cross-check with another digital gage to eliminate gage error. Balance if required, it is not compulsory to do so if the removed and mounted orientation is the same. Mount the wheel assembly on the car, lower the jack, let the tire take the load of the un-laden car, check for any increase in the projection of the bung outside the tire periphery due to the load on it now and cut-off any small projection, check tire pressure again with the tire on the road, it will be approximately 1psi less than that checked on the assembly machine. Fill the tire to the recommended tire pressure. Check tire pressure and correct in 3 other tires also, without fail. The whole thing takes around 1 hour to do, operator attitude and motivation are very important to do this properly, otherwise it will not get done properly. Cost should be around 300 rupees.

2. Vulcanize the tire in this area: I shall give the details shortly.

Obviously the "non-preferred" way is to have the thread inserted from outside, sticking out of the tire. I am not comfortable with it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 15th July 2016 at 11:46.
Old 6th December 2016, 01:00   #23
BHPian

Any pointers to a reasonable honest shop for tire punctures in Gurgaon.

Even though punctures not being a frequent event, but every time a defective nozzle showing up on a punctured tire is driving me nuts. I am fed up of keeping an eagle eye and haggling with these crooks every single time I have to visit one. For the sake of mental satisfaction, I don't mind driving 10km to a relatively honest man with reasonable work quality rather than messing with these shams on petrol pumps under the tag "puncture man".
Old 6th December 2016, 12:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
Any pointers to a reasonable honest shop for tire punctures in Gurgaon.
Don't know any shops in your city/area, but would be better if you invest in portable tyre inflator & puncture repair kit.
I am using these for many years & don't have to depend on any tyre fellows or fall pray to any of their tricks.
DIY guide for puncture repair

Portable tyre inflator

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks