Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2011, 09:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Offroad Rims/Tyres Thread

MODS: Reposting my query after Two Days. Really need guidance here from the forum.

Guys - Need some advice on tires for Trax Gurkha.

Quote:
My usage is going to be mostly in City and Highways, with occassional Mild Off-roading.

The vehicle is on 16 Inch rims that I would not like to change, if possible.

I had almost made up my mind on the Yokohama Geolander AT 265/70/R16, but have hit a supply problem on the same. I'm finding it difficult to procure the same in Delhi NCR.
So, what are my options now?

Also, I must mention that my budget is fixed, and I would not want to spend more than 25-35K for the Tire change.
Old 1st September 2011, 09:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

^^: You could Try Michelin LTX-AT range or BFG - ATs too. Most AT tyres are similar in performance. BFGs IMO have a softer sidewall.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 10:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks Sir.

The BFG's are also not available, because of the Import restrictions. The LTX - AT's are available, but I'm being quoted 10.5 K apiece for them ( a tad over-budget).

The other options I am being offered are Silverstone X5 in 245/70/R16 size, or the Coopers in a similar size, both in the 8.5 K range apiece.

Also, I'm not sure, whether I should stick to my intended 265 mm width or look at 245 mm options. I am sure, the 265 mm would ride better, and also not compromise the GC, but am concerned whether they would:
- Touch any suspension component at Full steering Lock
- Make the Steering heavy

Although, I don't care two hoots about the FE.

One thing, I absolutely wish to avoid is - A Bumpy Ride on Paved Roads.
Old 1st September 2011, 11:05   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

The other options I am being offered are Silverstone X5 in 245/70/R16 size, or the Coopers in a similar size, both in the 8.5 K range apiece.
Coopers are good
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 19:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thanks Headers.. I just reconfirmed, the Coopers are in fact 265, which is even better. Let me just reconfirm the price, and then perhaps I can go in for these.
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:04   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....The LTX - AT's are available, but I'm being quoted 10.5 K apiece for them ( a tad over-budget).

The other options I am being offered are Silverstone X5 in 245/70/R16 size, or the Coopers in a similar size, both in the 8.5 K range apiece.....
First of all congrats on the Gurkha. I am sure it has been very well-maintained in Ankit's hands. Regarding the Michelin's, if i am not wrong, GTO has been using the same tyres in his jeep for pretty long time and he is very satisfied. So you might just give it a thought looking at the long run.
And from the few reviews (practical users) i have heard about the Coopers, they are prone to sidewall punctures quite often.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
And from the few reviews (practical users) i have heard about the Coopers, they are prone to sidewall punctures quite often.
Yes thats correct - The coopers have a very soft sidewall making them prone to punctures especially offroad.

But the grip, they provide is amazing, especially on wet tarmac!!
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:17   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys - Need some advice on tires for Trax Gurkha.

My usage is going to be mostly in City and Highways, with occassional Mild Off-roading.

The vehicle is on 16 Inch rims that I would not like to change, if possible.

Also, I must mention that my budget is fixed, and I would not want to spend more than 25-35K for the Tire change.
Wow, hold on there. Choosing tyres for Gurkha is a very a complicated problem. This is mainly because the owners like to stick with 16 inch rim, but there are hardly any 31 inch tyres for 16 inch rim, and in 85% aspect ratio. If you are very particular, you will have to import the tyres.

To truly understand the problem, you should talk to one of the Gurkha owners and get to know your options. Don't tread blindly. The 265mm tyre you are looking at, may not be a good idea. Stick to 235mm width. Long back, member rhandle had posted a detailed message on the downside of using a wide tyre on Gurkha. I can't find it.

There is a dedicated Gurkha tyre thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...-gurkha-2.html (Tyre for Trax Gurkha)
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
And he finally got hold of a set of Coopers in 235/85/16 size for his Gurkha. Apparently some dealer in Bangalore imported couple of sets. But the prices were really high.
Old 2nd September 2011, 19:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

^^^^
Ankit took decent care of the vehicle, but it still needs some work to be done. First port of call - New tyres and hence this series of posts. Next priority would be to fix some unwanted noises and do something about the seats.

By now, I appreciate that choosing tyres for the Gurkha is not an easy task, due to multiple factors. Some factors are within my control and some are not (import restrictions and budget). Budget has basically been sanctioned by the wifey and already am getting beaten up a lot, at home, for spending money on, what they call, an antiquated truck! So, I am stuck to that 35 K limit and maybe extend it (discreetly) by another 5-8K. Anything more and she would detect it. So, what are the factors that I can really control?

1. Rims - I am open to moving to 15 inch rims but they CANNOT be alloys. I do not like Alloys - Period! So, where can I source suitable steel rims from? I neither have the patience, the means nor the ability to put in other contraptions like Spacers etc. Is there something OEM or otherwise, that I can lift and shift?

2. If we move to 15 inch rims, what are my options regarding the tyres? Please remember that I'd give 80% weightage to On-Road Manners and Braking, and 20% to off road ability. Having said that I'd prefer something in the AT grade (not HT), just in case, my tastes gradually start to change. I would not prefer a move to 15 inch, unless I stand to recover at least a part of my investment into the rims, through a reduced price for the tyres. Would this pan out the way I would like it to?

3. Next, I need to decide on Width. Ankit swears by 265 mm, and strongly recommended the same. Rahul, on the other hand, after months of looking, had picked up 235 Coopers. My concern with 265 is that they may interfere (touch) some or the other suspension component at full lock, or be heavy to drive and steer. My concern with 235 is that it might be too thin to give a pliant ride. So, what about 245 / 255?

Now, about the:
- Coopers - I have had mixed reports on the sidewall strength, but I'd tend to be a bit cautious because these come with no warranty whatsoever.
- Michelins - Too expensive for me.

What about the JKs, MRFs, Dunlops, Goodyears of the world? Do they have nothing in this category that would suit my budget and requirements?

Anyways, this is where I am with my dilemma. Still on a learning curve here and would look forward to continued guidance.

Thanks for your pointers so far, and I hope I have explained my position vis-a-vis all your suggestions, to some extent.

Cheerio.
Old 6th September 2011, 11:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

1st of all i don't have a Gurkha; followings inputs are based on various facets about tyres in general.

Quote:
...So, I am stuck to that 35 K limit and maybe extend it (discreetly) by another 5-8K. Anything more and she would detect it. So, what are the factors that I can really control?
So, let's say you have max budget of 40k which will amount to approx. 8k/ tyre. 1stly you need to take into consideration both the rim and the tyre size. If i am not wrong, PCD of Gurkha is 160 with 5 bolt pattern, same as Safari.

Changing to 15" rims will not be a good idea because: 1) you will lose the precious height which matters a lot for the stance of the vehicle apart from the benefits in off-road usage. 2) More investment in terms of new rims

Quote:
..Next, I need to decide on Width. Ankit swears by 265 mm, and strongly recommended the same. Rahul, on the other hand, after months of looking, had picked up 235 Coopers. My concern with 265 is that they may interfere (touch) some or the other suspension component at full lock, or be heavy to drive and steer. My concern with 235 is that it might be too thin to give a pliant ride. So, what about 245 / 255?
My personal opinion, go with the 235's. It shouldn't be too thin. If the wider profile tyres do touch any suspension component then you might land up in more hassles like spacers and stuffs. Also wider profile tyres will require wider rims (i.e. alloys in all probability) to get fitted. Both Yokohama and Apollo have 255 profile in 16 inch but the width of the tyres might be a problem.
There are options for wider steel rims also, but it will be too expensive. In fact 235/85/16 or 7.5x16 in existing 16 inch rims will be the best.

Quote:
..Now, about the:
- Coopers - I have had mixed reports on the sidewall strength, but I'd tend to be a bit cautious because these come with no warranty whatsoever.
- Michelins - Too expensive for me.
Coopers will anyways be more expensive than Michelin in the preferred size range, so both are out of the options.

Quote:
..What about the JKs, MRFs, Dunlops, Goodyears of the world? Do they have nothing in this category that would suit my budget and requirements?..
In fact JK LT 2000 4x4 will be a good choice. If i am not wrong, your Gurkha currently has the same tyres. It will be perfect on the existing steel rims, so no worries. MRF has Sandgrips in the same size but JK probably should be better. If you stick to 16 inch rims (the existing ones) and don't upsize to 270/265 (because of touching issue and requirement of alloys) then you might have to downsize to 235/70/16 for other brands. So, at the end, JK LT 2000 4x4 on existing steel rims will probably be the most cost-effective option for now. MRF Sandgrip on the same will be the 2nd option, as any other brand in 235/85/16 will be impossible to procure at a decent price.
EDIT: There might be GT Savero in 235/85/16 available also, but you need to seriously search whether anyone has them in stock or not. Besides, for 20% off-road use, they might not be the best choice.

Last edited by Kandisa : 6th September 2011 at 11:09. Reason: Addition
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 11:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1st of all i don't have a Gurkha; followings inputs are based on various facets about tyres in general.
Thanks. Very few people (AFAIK) have the Gurkha, and then those that do, have probably chosen to tune the vehicle for more of hard-core off-roading.
My situation is different. I am new to the world of off-roading, and will probably learn it slowly. So, for now, my primary need is good comfort and handling while driving on tarmac, and hence my tyre requirements are probably different than what has been the case for Rahul, Sunil, Dr. Mohan etc.
Hence, I will have to rely on generic experiences of various people, with this size and class of tyres. So, you are good there.

Quote:
So, let's say you have max budget of 40k which will amount to approx. 8k/ tyre. 1stly you need to take into consideration both the rim and the tyre size. If i am not wrong, PCD of Gurkha is 160 with 5 bolt pattern, same as Safari.
Well, I intend to replace only 4 at this time because the Spare is in very good condition, and as long as I stick to the same Diameter, I can use it at low speeds in emergency situations. This means 40K gives me 10K apiece, rather than 8K. Yes, it is 160 PCD / 5 Bolt.

Quote:
Changing to 15" rims will not be a good idea because: 1) you will lose the precious height which matters a lot for the stance of the vehicle apart from the benefits in off-road usage. 2) More investment in terms of new rims
Point Taken. If I can find the required tyres easily, for the 16 inchers, I would not even look at this option.

Quote:
My personal opinion, go with the 235's. It shouldn't be too thin. If the wider profile tyres do touch any suspension component then you might land up in more hassles like spacers and stuffs. Also wider profile tyres will require wider rims (i.e. alloys in all probability) to get fitted. Both Yokohama and Apollo have 255 profile in 16 inch but the width of the tyres might be a problem.
There are options for wider steel rims also, but it will be too expensive. In fact 235/85/16 or 7.5x16 in existing 16 inch rims will be the best.
Currently riding on the 7.5x16 JKs, and the vehicle is a bouncy castle. Multiple culprits though.
1. The rear leaf assembly seems to be slightly misaligned. This is easily corrected. How about putting some layers of Rubber between the leaves, and removing a leaf, while I am getting this done? Would this help absorb some of the bounce?
2. The Spare is actually mounted on the Rear Left, and the other three are absolutely Bald. The spare is in great condition, so I guess, that makes a substantial contribution to destabilizing the vehicle.
3. The Rims seem to need some Tender, Love and Care. Nothing major though.

But, the combination of the above, has led to such a bad ride, that I am afraid to consider the JK LT's. But, willing to be educated, if I am wrong in my inference.

Quote:
Coopers will anyways be more expensive than Michelin in the preferred size range, so both are out of the options.
I am being quoted 8800 apiece for 265/70/R16 Coopers, but am not sure I should be getting those, coz of sidewall issues and zero warranty. Michelins are 10 K+, hence above budget.

Quote:
In fact JK LT 2000 4x4 will be a good choice. If i am not wrong, your Gurkha currently has the same tyres. It will be perfect on the existing steel rims, so no worries.
Reasons above, as to why I am sceptical about these tyres.

Quote:
MRF has Sandgrips in the same size but JK probably should be better. If you stick to 16 inch rims (the existing ones) and don't upsize to 270/265 (because of touching issue and requirement of alloys) then you might have to downsize to 235/70/16 for other brands. So, at the end, JK LT 2000 4x4 on existing steel rims will probably be the most cost-effective option for now. MRF Sandgrip on the same will be the 2nd option, as any other brand in 235/85/16 will be impossible to procure at a decent price.
I am okay with 235 or 245 as well, as well as I know I can get a good ride on Tarmac and do some light off-roading stuff too (for learning and understanding the vehicle). But, the steering feels quite light, so I can do with a slightly wider contact patch if it doesn't touch anything.

I can always buy additional dedicated Off-Roading tyres later (a year down the line, and I plan to) when my pocket (and wife!) permits.

Quote:
EDIT: There might be GT Savero in 235/85/16 available also, but you need to seriously search whether anyone has them in stock or not. Besides, for 20% off-road use, they might not be the best choice.
No dedicated Off-Roading Tyres for now.

Anyways, will give you a call in some time.
Thanks for taking the time.
Old 6th September 2011, 12:05   #43
BHPian

Re: Tyre for Trax Gurkha

I am on cooper STT 235x85x16 since september 2010, I love these tire, whether I am on highway, sand, rocks and above all slush. With yoko I never ventured near slush, but now with cooper my confidence is coming back. It's not they are entirely invincible in slush but still a big improvement.

Considering they are MT, the road noise is not much different, are good on braking, and I constantly do 120 KMPH on these tires.

Would I recommend them - YES!
Old 6th September 2011, 12:25   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
I am on cooper STT 235x85x16 since september 2010
This is the correct size for Gurkha, if one can find the tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
I also believe Yokohama AT tyres are highly overrated. Try the BF Goodrich...I've done about 2k on these on my scorpio and am very happy. Excellent reviews online as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
With yoko I never ventured near slush, but now with cooper my confidence is coming back.
Meanwhile, Yoko Geolandar AT-S has become the undisputed king in the slush OTRs of Karnataka. Now more than half the AT tyres in any major OTR happen to be Yoko Geo AT-S. I have had them over 2 years and attended so many slush fests, it always defies the skeptics we find in every OTR.
Old 6th September 2011, 12:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Coopers 235/85/R16 is absolutely not available. I have checked.
Coopers 265/70/R16 is available @8800, it seems. Maybe some remaining stock.

Yokos not available, wherever I could check.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks