Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2009, 17:39   #16
BHPian

My A-drives

I replaced the stock Bridgestones on my Santro in December 2008 with 165/65 Yoko A-drives. I loved the chunky looks and enjoyed the drive with superb grip.

April 2009 - I had a puncture in the rear left tyre, when I went to get it repaired the guy drew my attention to a bulge in the outer tyre wall, took it to Jitesh in BK Tyres and he said the tyre wall had ruptured and nothing could be done. Yoko wont take responsibility and it had happened due to negligence or sheer bad luck. I bought a new tyre cursed my bad luck and forgot about it.

July 2009 - I am returning from work from Gurgaon and I spill the right side of the car in a pothole in front of Bristol, the steering starts pulling viciously towards the right and I can feel my heart sink. I get out of the car and both front and rear tyres have collapsed and predictably the tyre walls had burst.

I was doing 35 km/hr for christsake. As I stood there I saw 5 other cars of various make and model hit the pothole and be on its way.

I have replaced all the tyres and moved to Michelin XM1s.

Yokohama A-drives have weak walls. Period.

3 tyres have collapsed in 6 months and I have driven 2600 kms since the tyre upgrade in December 2008

Please do not buy Yokos. Thought I would let you guys know.

Thank you.
Old 2nd August 2009, 18:58   #17
knp
BHPian

oh, damn. I had bought Yoko Adrive for my i10. I thought of going for XM1, but due to the cost factor, I went for these :(
Old 2nd August 2009, 19:08   #18
BANNED

I was thinking of getting Yokos for my cars. The prices were tempting. I better spend a little more and go for Michelin.
Old 2nd August 2009, 20:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Yokohama maybe inexpensive, but their quality is nowhere less than Michelins or any other biggie. You have exceptions with every brand, wear and tear depends on how well the car is driven, what kind of roads it's driven on etc.

So, on basis of a single case you can't term Yokohama lesser than Michelin. Any brand's tyre can encounter manufacturing defect and that's why warranty is provided. In this case Yokohama's support is better than Michelins; I remember iraghava's case with Michelin.
Old 2nd August 2009, 20:43   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
oh, damn. I had bought Yoko Adrive for my i10. I thought of going for XM1, but due to the cost factor, I went for these :(
That's just stupid! What will you do when you read about the tons of people having cut sidewalls or sidewall bulges on Michelins? What will you buy then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
I was thinking of getting Yokos for my cars. The prices were tempting. I better spend a little more and go for Michelin.
buy whatever you want, but dont think that Michelin is completely cut-proof! Michelins have always been the kings of Sidewall cuts and bulges in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Yokohama maybe inexpensive, but their quality is nowhere less than Michelins or any other biggie. You have exceptions with every brand, wear and tear depends on how well the car is driven, what kind of roads it's driven on etc.

So, on basis of a single case you can't term Yokohama lesser than Michelin. Any brand's tyre can encounter manufacturing defect and that's why warranty is provided. In this case Yokohama's support is better than Michelins; I remember iraghava's case with Michelin.
I agree 100% Happy to see a sane post!
Old 2nd August 2009, 22:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Just buy Goodyear NCT5s. Rock hard sidewalls and an even harder ride.
Old 2nd August 2009, 23:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

@ the ImmortalZ- I see your Goodyear NCT5 and raise you a Bridgestone S322

lets just hope none of them MRF/JK/Apollo Amazer tyre owners show up here
Old 2nd August 2009, 23:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I agree 100% Happy to see a sane post!
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
ImmortalZ, correct me if I'm wrong; NCT5's noisier than others?
Old 2nd August 2009, 23:55   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
@ the ImmortalZ- I see your Goodyear NCT5 and raise you a Bridgestone S322

lets just hope none of them MRF/JK/Apollo Amazer tyre owners show up here
I take offence at Greenie's post!! Some MRFs are decent. The MRF ZVTS for example is quite comfortable. More than the NCT5s IMHO. And waaaaay quieter too!

I agree. The S322 is one 'hell' of a tyre.
Old 3rd August 2009, 02:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

@Switch- Take Nikhilb2008's advice seriously. having a patched side-wall is suicidal. have the tire changed immediately.

I have S.Drives (195/55 R15), and i have managed to burst one of them when I went over a stone during dark hours couple of weeks back, but I would still swear by S.Drives for performance for the buck.

Lets not be biased at a specific brand or model- and lets not compromise safety at any cost
Old 3rd August 2009, 05:36   #26
BHPian

For the Yoko fanboys

Quote:

Quality or no quality. The cases in question are too much of a coincidence. Its not not about Yoko or Michelin. Its about upholding the buyers right to his money's worth.

All good. Yoko rocks but I am down 25 grand for my negligence, driving....how well driven....what roads driven on....All good. I drove 2600 kms dude.

Do not flame me, I just do not want a miliion million other middle class Indians to feel the burn that I feel in my heart. But hey Yoko rocks

Regards.

Thank you
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Yokohama is no doubt a good tye. But somehow the A-Drives dint inspire too much of a confidence for high speed cornering (okay I know they are comfort based tyres). A couple of incidents where the tyres refused to stop as per my needs, I have moved on from 195/60/R15 to 205/55/R15 Michelin PP2s.
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:02   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
buy whatever you want, but dont think that Michelin is completely cut-proof! Michelins have always been the kings of Sidewall cuts and bulges in India
I have used MRF (Zigma CC), Bridgestone & Goodyear NCT5. The best experience was with the Goodyears. I thought of trying out the new brands (In India) Michelin & Yokohama. Both are very reputed brands worldwide. I was surprised to hear the story of the sidewalls. The roads here in Goa are quite OK (except for the monsoons) so I guess I should not worry too much.
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot.

ImmortalZ, correct me if I'm wrong; NCT5's noisier than others?
Yes. I drove an ANHC recently with XM1s and it was noticeably quieter and smoother even with the inferior sound insulation of the ANHC compared to the Civic. NCTs have a very noticeable hum to them while at any speed, especially above 60KMPH. It's even worse if the tarmac is not glasslike smooth. Slightly rough roads make the scream!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks