Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 09:14   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mixing tube and tubeless tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I have the following questions:
- Does it have any effect if i have 3 tubeless tyres and one tyre with tube while driving?
- I know the dealer would not entertain my claim for warranty as it was a puncture because of a nail. But is there anything i can expect from the dealer to rectify the situation. At the least maybe have a look at the fix done by the puncture guy to check if it is fine.
- Any one has had any similar experience?

It is not recommended to use one Tube type & 3 tubless tyres (at least for highway / high speed driving) as the mass difference affects the bracking performance & vehicle handling (negligible, but safety matters a lot)

Two possible ways to use your side wall punctured tubeless tyre

1) Fit the other tubless tyre on the same axle with tube (sounds idiotic, but finally the mass and entire axle balancing is neutral)
2) If your existing spare wheel (i.e., the old tube type) is same size of the tubless tyres (read exactly same) and if the condition is as new, you can use it as the forth wheel, keeping one tubeless tyre as spare wheel (the one fitted on the axle with repaired tubless tyre) again this may sound idiotic, but these are the best ways to utilize all your 5 tyres without scraping the punctured one / getting a brand new tyre.

I don't think the dealer could do anything on this issue.

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 19th April 2011 at 09:15.
Old 19th April 2011, 09:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
1. Is it OK to combine tubeless and tube tyres?
Is this safe? The side wall flexibility and the total tyre weight is different for Tubeless and TubeType tyres, even if the size, brand and pattern is the same. That means (at least a slight) difference in handling and braking, right?
Old 19th April 2011, 09:56   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Is this safe? The side wall flexibility and the total tyre weight is different for Tubeless and TubeType tyres, even if the size, brand and pattern is the same. That means (at least a slight) difference in handling and braking, right?
It is not safe & not recommended too.
Refer my earlier post (#16) for a similar discussion
Old 19th April 2011, 23:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Mr.Boss for the reply. I was also thinking that it would be unsafe to drive with 3 tubeless and 1 tube tyre on highways. So i think what i am going to do now is to use the tube tyre as the spare tyre for emergencies and continue with the old tubeless tyre as the fourth tyre. That tyre is still in good working condition.
Old 1st October 2011, 00:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Caution;
Tube tyre with other tubeless tyre is no good.
Don't think the buttons are there and we can run for another 3k or 5k. That is dangerous.
After 35k to 40k please change. After a year it may loose its strength.
I did so and got a burst in 60k odo. Thank Gods I am lucky to be unhurt. let not my misfortune come to any one.
Old 8th October 2011, 09:36   #21
BHPian

Maybe I can mention here that my Ikon has 3 Tubeless Goodyear GPS-2's, and one tubed GPS-2. I have never felt any problem at all. Handling is the same. Braking, if anything, has improved, but that's in comparison to the older worn out tyres. But I should also mention that the front two tyres are the new tubeless ones, and Ikon being front wheel drive, may be the reason that I dont see any difference in handling & braking.
Old 8th September 2012, 14:10   #22
BHPian

Front wheels with tubed tyres but Tubeless on rear wheels

What would be the consequences of putting tubeless 2 x 185/70 R13 at the rear but retain the stock tubed 2 x 175/80 R13 at the front? I am still running on all 4 tubed tyres of 175/80 R13 on original 13" alloys and this is the original setup of the car.

I know that the tubeless 185/70 R13 would result in 11 mm reduction of GC so I have already compensated this by raising the rear GC by 10 mm.

Another question is about the tyre noise. Is it more from the front tyres or the rear tyres? I have the 2001 Lancer SLX which has 185 mm GC in stock form but even this high GC is sometimes inadequate because of the wider wheelbase.

Last edited by Chewbacca : 8th September 2012 at 14:20.
Old 4th August 2014, 19:25   #23

Reviving the thread...
I had to fit tubes in two of my tyres (215/65/16). As suggested by the mechanic, I fit both of them in the front. But eversince, I am noticing a drop in the mileage. On the highways, my Duster usually returns 20 kmpl (at a constant 2200 rpm) and within the city it gives me 16-17 kmpl. But after fitting tubes, the highway mileage has dropped to 18 and the city mileage to a paltry 14 kmpl!
I got the wheels aligned and balanced too. Wondering what the problem could be!
Should i change the air pressure? Please help!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks