Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2012, 17:11   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Decided to go for the lowest cost option for now. I had a tyre dealer inspect all tyres.The conclusion was that the other three tyres + spare (which had one puncture in the past per his inspection) are good enough to last for another 10,000 clicks. Before I could suggest buying a new tyre to keep as the spare, he suggested fitting a tube in my old rear left and keeping it as the spare. Since I have no intention of travelling out of town (other than perhaps another Pune or Nashik run) in the foreseeable future, I decided to take up that option. Since the old spare is less used than the other three, the dealer suggested I keep it on the left rear. Hence, I got the spare mounted on the left rear alloy rim, and am currently using my old and worn tyre (with a tube in it) as a spare.

I suspect I am going to be called penny wise here, but decided to go with this for now since buying a single tyre off cycle will create loads of problems and I did not want to blow Rs. 35 k unless necessary. Glad to hear thoughts on this strategy.

Will also appreciate suggestions on which tyre I should use when I ultimately replace the lot - the dealer suggested the Primacy LC.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 19:39   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek
Decided to go for the lowest cost option for now. I had a tyre dealer inspect all tyres.The conclusion was that the other three tyres + spare (which had one puncture in the past per his inspection) are good enough to last for another 10,000 clicks. Before I could suggest buying a new tyre to keep as the spare, he suggested fitting a tube in my old rear left and keeping it as the spare. Since I have no intention of travelling out of town (other than perhaps another Pune or Nashik run) in the foreseeable future, I decided to take up that option. Since the old spare is less used than the other three, the dealer suggested I keep it on the left rear. Hence, I got the spare mounted on the left rear alloy rim, and am currently using my old and worn tyre (with a tube in it) as a spare.

I suspect I am going to be called penny wise here, but decided to go with this for now since buying a single tyre off cycle will create loads of problems and I did not want to blow Rs. 35 k unless necessary. Glad to hear thoughts on this strategy.

Will also appreciate suggestions on which tyre I should use when I ultimately replace the lot - the dealer suggested the Primacy LC.
Quite a good choice. How much life does the tire that you have kept as spare with tube has in it ? Just ensure you use a high quality tube and you are done .

After 10k kms you can replace all 5 tyres if the tread is worn out
Old 20th July 2014, 12:16   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick update for those who want to refer to this thread. I finally replaced the tyres of my Superb, 21 months after my initial query. Ran with the 4 good NCT5s and fortunately did not have any occasion when I had to fit the stepney. Covered only 14000 kms in this period. Bought 4 new Michelin Primacy 3 STs in 205-55 16 size (same as stock) yesterday. Seems like a good option but will update both this thread and my ownership thread once I run with them for a few thousand kms (might be several months though).
Old 7th November 2014, 15:32   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - Tyre dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Quick update for those who want to refer to this thread. I finally replaced the tyres of my Superb, 21 months after my initial query. Ran with the 4 good NCT5s and fortunately did not have any occasion when I had to fit the stepney. Covered only 14000 kms in this period. Bought 4 new Michelin Primacy 3 STs in 205-55 16 size (same as stock) yesterday. Seems like a good option but will update both this thread and my ownership thread once I run with them for a few thousand kms (might be several months though).
Please update on how the 3ST's are running. It's time for me to change my tyres too, haven't been very happy with how the LC's have run over the past few years hence want to be sure whether to go in for Michelin this time or not.
Old 7th November 2014, 21:58   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Done about 2500 kms on the 3STs so far. Have found them fine, but not spectacular. My running is mostly in Bombay - and I never found the NCT5s noisy, and can't really tell if the 3STs are materially different. They are quiet on asphalt roads like the Eastern Freeway, and noticeably noisy on long stretches of paver blocks. My experience with the NCT5s was quite good overall - I had lots of punctures early on, but they reduced after I started inflating the NCT5s to 33 psi. Have stuck to that with the 3STs. Some times feel I would have been better off having saved money by sticking to the Goodyears.
Old 11th April 2019, 19:02   #96
Senior - BHPian

So our 2016 Skoda Superb L&K has done a good 40k kms and is now due for a tyre change. The OEMs are the Hankook Ventus Prime 2 in size 215/5/R17.

I am personally not happy with them and find them a bit hard on the ride. I believe this is the case with all OEM tyres. Which tyres should I looks at - Michelin, Continental?
Old 12th April 2019, 10:04   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So our 2016 Skoda Superb L&K has done a good 40k kms and is now due for a tyre change. The OEMs are the Hankook Ventus Prime 2 in size 215/5/R17.

I am personally not happy with them and find them a bit hard on the ride. I believe this is the case with all OEM tyres. Which tyres should I looks at - Michelin, Continental?
I chose the Pirelli P7's and am quite happy with their comfort. Photos here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4327593

Cheers...
Old 17th April 2019, 17:06   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post

We're using the Michelin P4ST on our A6 for the last couple of months. I would recommend checking these out for the Superb as well - comfortable, decently grippy, and quiet.
Due to the odd size, options were limited but I have no complaints.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks