Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2005, 22:39   #1
BHPian

Tyres for a Palio GTX?

So my 24k four year old develops this annoying brake caliper rattle in both front wheels and I get around to the sole Fiat dealer in Hyderabad, Anuroop.

I heard from Buffetfan that there has been a similar problem in his Uno as well - and he is the one who helpfully pointed out that the 'odd' rattle from the wheels was not a suspension problem that I thought it was, but a brake caliper problem.

I find that to fix this, a lathe job is required to get rid of the problem, albeit for another ~20k kilometers. Is this a known Palio/Fiat gremlin? I would've thought a well known marque would get at least their brake systems life/performance right. So much for that extended warranty that ran out 9 months ago.

Anyways, I get around to pick the car up in the evening, and there it is, parked at the kerb. Of course I look at the wheels, and find to my dismay that the front left alloy has been scraped againt the stone kerb, and yes, there's a gash in the tyre wall as well. I raised hell, but was told that the damage existed before I dropped the car off. Yeah right, that would explain the freshly glued-on piece of tyre. To cut a long story short, I give up on their vague promises of making good the damage. The worst thing is, there's no competition for this miserable dealer in Hyderabad. Yeah, this is yet another Fiat/Dealer nightmare so far.

The upshot of all of this is the need for a new set of tyres. Now my stock 175/65 R14s are 4 years old and perhaps have half their useful tread left, but an problem with alignment early in the car's life left me with 2 tyres with the inner side worn out. So, while two of my tyres are in reasonable shape, two others are worn out unevenly and the fifth is now damaged enough to be replaced.

If I were to replace all or four of the tyres, I'd like to get wider tyres, without losing out too much on the handling - and I figure I'll go with either 185/60 or 195/60 R14s (I hope I'm getting the numbers right).

Now, on to my questions:
Should I get Goodyear Eagle F1 or NCT5s or Bridgestone Potenzas?

What sizes should I settle for?

Should I just buy three stock Bridgestone S322s to replace the damaged ones or get a whole new set of wider tyres?

I was told today by a dealer that the Eagle F1, while a nice tyre is extremely noisy and a Mondeo customer returned them in 2000 km because of the noise characterestics. I know I've read contradictory reports right here on TBHP though. What I'm looking for is confirmation about which of my choices above are the best, from all-weather-performance/low-noise/life standpoint (ordered per the importance). I want tubeless tyres.

And yes, the annoying caliper rattle is gone!

Thanks!
Old 5th September 2005, 22:44   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well its needless to say that the most preferred piece of rubber on this forum are the bridgestone potenza GIIIs..search a thread named "the best tyre" for further referrals...
Old 6th September 2005, 01:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

I have Potenza GIII's, and I feel the only dept they fail are the looks. Brilliant performance though!
Old 6th September 2005, 01:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

My bridgestone Potenza GIII doesnt make any noise that bothers me. However they dont quite attract the same attention as the Good year tyres, which being cheaper look much much better than the GIII's. The grip of Potenza is unbelievable, great performance, and just a little harsher ride.
Old 6th September 2005, 01:54   #5
BANNED

hey aseem back here too to eat ur head..how is the performance of the goodyears..agree that they look way better than the GIIIs but how do they compare in road grip and performance..
Old 6th September 2005, 02:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Mc Laren, Goodyears are excellent in the rain, high on noise, and have lesser life than Bridgestone GIII, but have a softer ride.
To suffice no tyre is perfect. Go for Goodyear for looks, Potenza for performance, and Michelin Certis for comfort.
Old 6th September 2005, 02:31   #7
BANNED

im upgrading from my stock rims on my zen to 13" alloys..so which do u suggest i get..GIIIs or eagles..this time il take ur word for it!!!no arguments i promise...
Old 6th September 2005, 02:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would go for Goodyears, as for me criteria would be looks. Plus they are cheaper by 600Rs a tyre. I would use the money left elsewhere.
Old 6th September 2005, 02:58   #9
BANNED

oopss just realised my dealer told me eagles are not available in 165/60/r13..can u confirm using ur googling tactics and tell me..
Old 6th September 2005, 03:26   #10
BANNED

aaasseeemmm its nearly been 17 minutes since u have been googling..what happened got the info or no..u started searching at 3:05 and by normal standards u take half an hour for getting all the info..will visit this thread by say 3:35..hahaha just kidding..saw from the active members list tht the last reported activity from u was at 3:05..
Old 6th September 2005, 03:43   #11
BANNED

its 3:40 and still no sign of aseem..btw we are making this into a kind of chat forum aseem..sorry mods..and the topic of the thread is best tyre option for the palio and what are we discussing..mods sorry again for the deviation..wont happen again..
Old 6th September 2005, 06:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
oopss just realised my dealer told me eagles are not available in 165/60/r13..can u confirm using ur googling tactics and tell me..

Yes your dealer is right. Infact no Eagle NCT 5 is made for R13. You might be able to find goodyear GT3 (made in Taiwan) 165/65 R13 ( 10 Mm higher).
Old 6th September 2005, 17:32   #13
BHPian

I've narrowed my choices down to the Potenza G3s and the Eagle F1s. I'm leaning toward the Potenza, but I'd like to understand what the drawbacks of the Eagle F1s are when compared to the Potenzas.

Are Eagle F1s noisy?
Old 13th September 2005, 15:45   #14

Tyres for GTX

Hello All

I am also planning to get a new new pair of
shoes for my GTX.

I need your suggestions on the ideal upgrade size and the brand.One that provides good ride comfort without compromising on handling.

I have narrowed down to GoodYear Eagle NCT5 or Bridgestone Potenza.One dealer suggested me Silverstone Sport.Supposed to provide the best handling and they look awesome. Heard Silverstone is used to F1 .

Cheers
Naidu
Old 13th September 2005, 17:00   #15
Team-BHP Support

NCTs !! I switched from the sameBridgestone tyres on my car to them. Check out my review somewhere on the forum. Less noise, great steering and grip

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks