Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 02:42   #1
BHPian

I Finally Used Up My Sunday To Paint My Alloys.

It was a warm morning and as the sunlight made its way through the window my dreams started to fade and I slowly opened my eyes. It was a Sunday morning and my god this was the best day of the entire week, but unlike the millions of Sundays I wasted sleeping or watching TV today was going to be different. I wanted to do something productive and creative. Hmmm as I glanced down at my black mondeo parked below I knew at once how to use my Sunday. I was going to paint my alloys!

9:30 Finished brushing my teeth and just switched on the lappie.

10:00 Have searched all possible combinations to get a step by step guide on how to paint my alloys but to my dismay most of the articles ask me not to paint my alloys myself or they are too complicated. In the process I did go through an article by a fellow team-bhpian where in he described his experience painting his Ford Fusion alloys in detail (gave me the required confidence and a basic idea about the process).

10:30 Asked my girl if she would like to accompany me for a small ride. Soon both of us were off to small paint shops in and around Hebbal asking them for a can of paint.

11:00 After visiting over ten shops and hearing a series of NO`s I realized that the closest and the best place to buy paint cans is commercial street, so off we went to commercial.

11:30 We found the right place and I just got myself two cans of white (I wanted black but later decided to go with my girl`s choice of white) automotive paint for Rs 190 each. I also picked up a sheet of water proof 320 and 1000 emery paper and a masking tape costing Rs 50 and Rs 20 respectively. On the way back picked up a small bottle of Pril dish washing liquid.

12:00 Back home I started the first step i.e, removing the wheels. I had planned on doing one wheel at a time hence I started loosening the bolts of my front tyre but again to my dismay they won`t bulge this time the problem was with my ranch. I guess they were too worn out and hence it wasn’t holding the nuts firmly.

12:10 I decide to go ahead with my plans. So I drove my car to the nearest tyrewala and asked him to replace my front tyre with my stepney.

12:30 Though am back home terribly tired after running around in hot scorching sun but my enthusiasm keeps me going. It took me some time to lift the tyre to my first floor apartment but eventually I managed to get the tyre to my bathroom.

12:45 The tyre is thoroughly cleaned with pril using a toothbrush and scotch bright(a small rug used to clean utensils).

1:00 I am finally done rubbing the scratches and the uneven parts with the emery paper. I had to call my dad to know that the emery paper is used to even out the surface so that the paint sticks to it better. Well finally it was time to get the tyre back to my drawing room and cover its edges with newspaper and masking tape. I took some time out to cover the nozzle too.

1:10 The tyre is properly masked and am really hungry. I wait impatiently for the home delivery guy as my girl takes the liberty of shaking the paint can for me.

1:15 I decide to stop waiting for the food guy and get done with the first tyre. I make sure I switch off the fans and open my main door and then I slowly start to spray the white paint evenly over the alloys. Soon I realize my mistake. I was spraying it very close to the alloy as a result I had already used up 3/4th of the can and the paint layer was thick and uneven paint layers were very much visible. But as it dried up it started to look better. By the time I was done with my lunch, I was actually impressed with my work.

2:30 I decide to put the alloy back and start with the second one. So I run back to the tyre wala and ask him to replace the newly painted alloy and shift the stepney to the other side. On my way back I did see people giving me a weird look I guess it was because I was running a white alloy, a black stepney and two silver alloys.

4:45 I get done with the second wheel. This time I spray the paint from a distance and it works out to be just perfect. Though surprising but true this time I required only 1/4th of a can. It takes just a couple of minutes to dry. I run to the tyrewala to put the newly painted alloy back and get another alloy to work on.

6:30 I finish the third wheel

9:15 I get done with the fourth and the final wheel. I rush to the tyre wala to get it fixed. I reach him just in time. He gladly changed the fourth wheel for me and I finally put the black rim stepney where it belonged, in the boot.
9:30 I look at the car and am impressed. My girl looks at the car and says I couldn’t have done it without her and asks me to thank her for choosing the white paint.

10:00 I am back home and I finally take a bath and magically transform back from a dirty mechanic to a much cleaner boy and as I have my dinner I wonder if I could have utilized my Sunday any better?
Attached Thumbnails
I Finally Used Up My Sunday To Paint My Alloys.-dsc00825.jpg  

I Finally Used Up My Sunday To Paint My Alloys.-dsc00813.jpg  

I Finally Used Up My Sunday To Paint My Alloys.-dsc00795.jpg  

I Finally Used Up My Sunday To Paint My Alloys.-dsc00801.jpg  

I Finally Used Up My Sunday To Paint My Alloys.-dsc00803.jpg  

I Finally Used Up My Sunday To Paint My Alloys.-dsc00811.jpg  

Old 28th February 2010, 03:29   #2
BHPian

Neat work man, the alloy looks cool in white
Old 28th February 2010, 08:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

That's a nice way to spend a sunday. The work looks simple to read but can imagine the amount of hard work that goes into this.

PS: Just noticed that your alloy wheel may have some bends also.
Old 28th February 2010, 09:43   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys . Khan yes I did see the bends I guess i will go and get them repaired sometime during the weekend.
Old 28th February 2010, 13:22   #5
BHPian

Kudos to you and your better half (I could see her cleaning the alloy). I'm sure that both of you took great pain on a holiday but I must say the end result is wonderful. Hats off to you both. Request you to please post photos of the car.
Old 28th February 2010, 13:46   #6
BHPian

great going zazer the wheels looks cool. Is that a bent alloy i see ? how fast do you drive man ?
Old 28th February 2010, 13:49   #7
BHPian

Nice work and a handy DIY Zazer. Was there anu problem when re-fitting the tyres? like paint scraping due to nut/wrench movement?.
Old 28th February 2010, 14:02   #8

Just a Word of caution from a seasoned DIYer. Esp when it comes to painting. Bosny White is VERY soft for a few hours after you apply it. Take extreme care!
Old 28th February 2010, 14:19   #9
BHPian

Great work, a Sunday well spent. Shows your enthusiasm towards your car. Bravo !
Old 28th February 2010, 14:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good DIY.
But, you should have had the bent wheels repaired to perfect balance before the painting.
Old 28th February 2010, 15:01   #11
BHPian

Excellent job man. Do post the pics once you fit them back onto the car.
Old 28th February 2010, 15:19   #12
BHPian

Very impressive DIY work. A back breaking activity, you should be proud of your fitness.

Did you have the compressor or you used vacumn cleaner for the spray paint.

Please post pics of the car with the white alloys
Old 28th February 2010, 15:45   #13
BHPian

Good job dude! Post pics of the car with the alloys.
@ikoneer-he has used Bosny Spray paint can-no need for compressor or vacuum cleaner.Just open cover and paint away.

Last edited by Wolffe : 28th February 2010 at 15:47.
Old 28th February 2010, 16:50   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazer View Post
....will go and get them repaired sometime during the weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
....you should have had the bent wheels repaired to perfect balance before the painting.
I actually have a contradictory view on this.

If an alloy is bent and its not causing any problem (leaking air etc), i'd refrain from bending it back (which might weaken that part further).

As for the balancing, i guess that could always be taken care of by dynamic balancing.

cya
R

PS - Nice job Zazer, though please also put up some pictures taken with them on the car in day light.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th February 2010 at 16:51.
Old 28th February 2010, 18:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice job Zazer.
Would like to see some BEFORE and AFTER pics of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

If an alloy is bent and its not causing any problem (leaking air etc), i'd refrain from bending it back (which might weaken that part further).

As for the balancing, i guess that could always be taken care of by dynamic balancing.

Last edited by kpzen : 28th February 2010 at 18:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks