Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2018, 14:54   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Want to upsize your wheels with lower profile tyres? Read this first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcanburn View Post
Guys I have a query and I thank you in advance for going through my post and your advice

I have a 2010 F10 BMW 530d. The car has been running on Yokohama 225/55 R17.
My previous tyres are wearing out and I was looking to replace them with 225/65 R17 since I am using this car for my daily commute (110kms) and some of the roads are very bad where a bigger sidewall I feel will give me a comfortable ride.

Does any one have any experience with this or any advice wether I should go ahead with this or not?
All your comments are greatly appreciated.
Don't go ahead!
While your ground clearance would increase - your speedo error would be off the charts, and you could face clearance issues with the tyre scraping the wheel well too.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 15:00   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Don't go ahead!
While your ground clearance would increase - your speedo error would be off the charts, and you could face clearance issues with the tyre scraping the wheel well too.
Thank you for your prompt response.

Tyre scraping the wheel well was one of primary concerns.
Old 2nd April 2018, 18:03   #63
BHPian

Its time to replace the runflat tyres on my 2010 F10 BMW 525d. They are still running on the stock 225/55/R17 tyres. For the upgrade i am looking at regular tubeless tyres specifically Michelin Pilot sport 3st or Pilot sport 4. Now looking at the website, both of them are only available in 45 profile for the 17 in wheel size. Please correct me if i am wrong but going from 225/55/R17 to 225/45/R17 will make the car look undersized and weird.

So i am thinking i will upgrade to 225/45/R18, but then i will have to get new alloy wheels as well. I settled on Japan racing wheels model JR 18. Now the question i have is what offset and what width should i go for? My aim is to get a concave look on the wheels. My future plans include lowering the car and a remap.
Attached Thumbnails
Want to upsize your wheels with lower profile tyres? Read this first-jr18.jpg  

Last edited by abhiram7912 : 2nd April 2018 at 18:04. Reason: typo and sentence correction
abhiram7912 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 14:20   #64
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Summary: Upsize, but don't overdo it. Large (heavier) wheels, super low profile tyres and an ultra-fat contact patch can actually kill performance. Choose a reasonable upsize instead.
These rims look fabulous, but he has seriously overdone it. Would love to know more about how his ride quality is, how much his back suffers and how many damaged tyres he has already replaced:
Want to upsize your wheels with lower profile tyres? Read this first-20190324-15.08.00.jpg
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 14:34   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
These rims look fabulous, but he has seriously overdone it. Would love to know more about how his ride quality is, how much his back suffers and how many damaged tyres he has already replaced:
Attachment 1863190
Think this car belongs to a friend
Ride quality is not bad but defiantly not as good as regular X5s
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:06   #66
Team-BHP Support

Need some inputs for X5-

Standard size -

Front - 275/45R20
Rear - 305/40R20

Upgraded size

Front - 275/45R21
Rear - 315/40R21

Problems being faced -

Vibrations are observed between 90-140. This is despite getting Balancing checked twice. Upgraded Alloys are BMW OEM and Tyres are Pirelli Zero. Both import from Germany. Rear size should have been 305/40/21 to maintain a higher profile.

But Is it possible that the larger dia is responsible for vibration? Or else what can be wrong?

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd May 2020 at 12:07.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:22   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Problems being faced -

Vibrations are observed between 90-140. This is despite getting Balancing checked twice.

But Is it possible that the larger dia is responsible for vibration? Or else what can be wrong?
Did you get your tyres road force balanced? I had a similar issue although not on 21inch wheels and road force balancing solved it.
dealer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 00:19   #68

I own a S-Cross DDIS 320 Delta that came with stock R15 rims that were promptly upgraded to R16 and fitted with Conti MC5: 225/55/R16. Now it's run 43000 kms and I'm going over to Tyre Store (Deepak) for replacing with new tyres. The Alpha variant comes with stock R16, so I know that I can upsize to R17, though Nexa were not recommending it. I've this in mind: Upsize to Revenge Momo R17 and wrap it up with Michelin or Conti with slghtly lower sidewall profile (~45) or stick with R16 existing alloys and go with Michelin 215/60/R16. I really want to go with R17, any suggestions?
Old 2nd January 2022, 16:32   #69

Took the plunge and replaced the Endo's with Momo Revenge (upsized to 17") and wrapped them with Michelin Pilot Sport 4ST. The tyre noise can be slightly heard inside the cabin, unlike the previous Conti MC5, but the steering response and braking has improved tremendously.

Overall very much satisfied with the upgrade, though it costed a premium. Thanks to Deepak@TyreStore for his recommendations and quick turnaround in end-to-end fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Want to upsize your wheels with lower profile tyres? Read this first-before_after.jpg  

raajj354 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 00:01   #70
BHPian

I own a Renault Kiger RXZ which is running on 195/60-16 tyres, MRF Wanderer's. The car has done 27k kms and tyres are due shortly for replacement.

Now, the car has too much body roll for my usage, especially when banking on roundabouts in city limits, making turns on elevated roads or mountain cut roads.

Coming from hatchbacks and sedan habits, I feel that the CSUV is too talk for its own good and hence the roll.

I was thinking of going with low profile 195/55-16 tyres and I understand the consequence. However, I'm open to use a different tyre size which might help with reducing body roll.
Old 13th November 2022, 15:22   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismaya View Post
I own a Renault Kiger RXZ which is running on 195/60-16 tyres, MRF Wanderer's. The car has done 27k kms and tyres are due shortly for replacement.

Now, the car has too much body roll for my usage, especially when banking on roundabouts in city limits, making turns on elevated roads or mountain cut roads.

Coming from hatchbacks and sedan habits, I feel that the CSUV is too talk for its own good and hence the roll.

I was thinking of going with low profile 195/55-16 tyres and I understand the consequence. However, I'm open to use a different tyre size which might help with reducing body roll.
Go for 205/55R16, which will have the same sidewall height but the wider tread would make the vehicle feel planted and reduce body roll. With this size you won’t lose out on ground clearance as well
RubberGuru1113 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 17:04   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberGuru1113 View Post
Go for 205/55R16, which will have the same sidewall height but the wider tread would make the vehicle feel planted and reduce body roll. With this size you won’t lose out on ground clearance as well
I am planning on upgrading to 215/60 R16 on my Kiger from the company fitted 195/50 R16. Does it make sense? Also, do I need to change the rim as well?
Old 4th May 2024, 13:55   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by evboi View Post
I am planning on upgrading to 215/60 R16 on my Kiger from the company fitted 195/50 R16. Does it make sense? Also, do I need to change the rim as well?
You might have to. Generally any set of rims allow for +-10mm variation in tyre width, without risking tyre bulge. Please check prescribed tyre width for your alloy size. It should be 6J or 6.5J I'm assuming
Old 17th May 2024, 12:29   #74
BHPian

Hello Experts,

I am seeking expert opinion for my MS Ertiga 2020 tyre upgrade.

My pain:
I have driven it around 85000KMs, mainly on KMP expressway and frequent trips to Himachal. I practice wheel balancing, alignment and tyre rotation at every 10K to 20K KM . First set of tyres Bridgestones Ecopia EP150 were replaced at 50K (Front) and 55K (rear) with Yokohama Earth and it was a mistake. I paid Rs. 1500-2000 extra compared to other options and now they are ready to be replaced in next 5000KM (at least 2) when 85% of the run was on highways. I am very disappointed with Yokohamas and I won't recommend.

Current situation:
I am thinking to upgrade my 15 inch steel rims with 16 inch alloys. Used MS XL6's alloys with brand new 195 55 16 tyres seems the right fit as the tyre circumference is exactly same and the latter is only 2mm short in the height.
Another option is to go with 195 60 16, the standard XL6 tyre size that increase the circumference and height by 61mm and 18mm.

Dilemma:
1. Should I go with used allows? Any recommendations for a reseller in Delhi/Gurgaon/Rohtak/Rewari/Sonepat/Panipat/Bhiwani?
2. I recently visited a Ceat shop and they offered me 185 65 15 tyre for Rs 4800 and promised at least 70,000 KM life. Please suggest a value for money tyre.
3. I want to spend around Rs 35,000 for alloys+tyres, is the a good budget?
4. Should I go for 195 60 16 and get a few mm height or stay with 195 55 16?
5. How about Breeza's alloy? The standard tyre width is 215, can it fit 195 tyre?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks