Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2010, 10:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
SS-T, but even if the blame lies with the manufacturer - is he supposed to rectify it if it failed after nearly five years. i.e. even in a clearly worded warranty, I don't think the warranty is valid after one year - or is it in case of manufacturing issues?
Did I mention anywhere that I am looking for redressal from the manufacturer? However, even out of warranty, if a product behaves unlike how it is meant to, one needs to sit up and take notice. For example, one doesn't expect an engine to explode under normal use, and impale the driver of the car with flying connecting rods, in or out of warranty - if that happens, one must take notice.
Quote:
Does this mean, you were able to drive your car for a couple of weeks after this happened?
Please read again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This is just plain scary! But knowing indian mfrs, you will not gain anything from bringing it to anyone's notice - its just a big waste of your time!
How true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Age has nothing to do with this failure...
It is a bond failure...

Not acceptable for a 5 year old tyre ... not even a 7 year old tyre.
Exactly my point.
Quote:
What exactly is a flat spot?
Quote:
A flat spot can be caused by heavy braking which makes the wheels lock and scrubs the tyre along the road surface.
JK Vectra tyres: Weird Failure-tyre7.jpg
From Top Gear - Tyre Maintenance.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 15th November 2010 at 10:47.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2010, 11:12   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Did I mention anywhere that I am looking for redressal from the manufacturer? However, even out of warranty, if a product behaves unlike how it is meant to, one needs to sit up and take notice. For example, one doesn't expect an engine to explode under normal use, and impale the driver of the car with flying connecting rods, in or out of warranty - if that happens, one must take notice.
100% agree. I wasn't disputing that at all. I was just referring to your & other people's post in this thread implying that not providing a redressal would be wrong on part of JK. Maybe yours is a one off case, which does happen with ever company. There are various reports of bad tyres from
other companies also which cost more than JK.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...elin-tyre.html
Sam also had a problem with his Skoda tire (don't remember the brand but wasn't a JK).
There was also a chap here who had to replace his Yokohoma at 10000 or 15000 kms.

However, if this is a systemic problem with a particular model, then the tyres should surely be recalled.

In general, I feel JK is put down a lot in this forum (not saying anything against you at all - if this happened to me, I am 100% sure I would be very put off by JK). My Swift has done 46000 kms & the treads would be good enough for atleast 6 months if not more. I would be changing anyway at around 50000 km, though.
This seems to be total VFM. I discoverd that my spare tyre had a manufacturing fault the first time I tried to use & Sai Service Pune called up JK & got me a new tyre on the same day itself after testing it.

OT, but I feel the same about Exide battery perception in this forum. I am still on my OEM exide batteries after 3.5 years. My inverter is also doing fine on Exide Batteries after 3 years.

My next tire may probably going to be Goodyear & my next battery is probably going to be Amaron, but this is probably because of team-bhp perception rather than personal experience. In my mind, I feel this is unfair & hence trying to figure out if these companies are as bad as team-bhp perception.

Quote:
Please read again...
Reading it again, maybe you meant, "before this happened the tyres looked good for a couple of weeks more".

Quote:
Thank you.

Last edited by carboy : 15th November 2010 at 11:16.
Old 15th November 2010, 11:39   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In general, I feel JK is put down a lot in this forum...
Personally speaking, long before I even knew about Team-BHP, I've never liked JK product quality. That applied to Dunlop too. As to batteries, I'd preferred Standard (Furukawa)for years over Exide. Amaron etc. are newer products that perform quite well too.

That opinion is built on experience, spending time in garages, and analysing problems and failures of a few hundred cars and users. My opinions have nothing to do with forum bias through inputs from (dare I say it?) folks who can't change a headlight bulb.
Old 15th November 2010, 12:55   #19
Team-BHP Support

Its the JK tyres itself, nothing wrong with your car. Question is if they would own up since its been 5 years and 50k kms?

The thread seems to have pealed off completely, was there any cracks or cut on the side that you had noticed earlier?
Old 15th November 2010, 13:17   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Its the JK tyres itself, nothing wrong with your car. Question is if they would own up since its been 5 years and 50k kms?

The thread seems to have pealed off completely, was there any cracks or cut on the side that you had noticed earlier?
Jaggu, I doubt if they'd own up, and I don't have the time and energy to pursue the matter anyway. You know me well enough to understand there's nothing wrong with the car, but the bozos at JK certainly don't. And I'm not looking for any financial benefits by claiming, in any case.

As to cracks/cuts, no, I didn't notice anything as such. The car started bobbing up and down suddenly, and I stopped to check - but it was dark, and I couldn't make out anything amiss. I was a bit worried, but continued driving, deferring a thorough check to the next morning. And 3 km down the road, this happened.

The other tyres are all doing fine - checked closely.

If someone knows someone at JK tyres, please forward this thread to them; maybe it'll help them improve quality. Otherwise, this places the incident on record, with a firm NO from my side to using JK tyres ever again.
Old 15th November 2010, 14:03   #21
Team-BHP Support

I suggest you take the car to the nearest tyrewala and get a new set of rubber. If one has failed, i will not be surprised if another one decides to follow the same path
Old 15th November 2010, 14:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
........this places the incident on record, with a firm NO from my side to using JK tyres ever again.
I'd go with a hearty yes on that even if you've never had any problems with JKs. There are better tyres available for marginally higher prices. You cannot put a price on peace of mind.
Old 15th November 2010, 15:56   #23
BHPian

SS-Traveller: Sorry to hear your story and the damages to your vehicle and tires, but glad that you are safe and nothing worse happened.

As mentioned by someone already, this could have happened to anyone, any tire, any brand. Our roads are of that condition and we can find any objects and things on the road that could do things to the best quality, best reliable tires that are available to us.

But still you managing to complete 51K with those JK OEM tires was something to be looked into.

In my view anything OEM on the cars (whethere its tires, music system, speakers, batteries etc) can come with these issues. I have personally seen those and they are not band specifics. I have seen the issues with Goodyear tires which come OEM on Honda and many other cars. Apollo comes OEM on some cars and have issues as well. Recently heard issues with RFT (Run Flat) on BMWs. Probably for OEM the manufacturer has a different quality check or the lack of it because it is mass productions than usual and sale type being different, these products pass through easily.

Which leaves people like us to get rid of the OEM things on these vehicles, but there I have a friend who clocked 88K kms on Bridgestone on his Scorpio, then decided to change it even after the tire wallah sold him that it can run for more 10K kms.

So some are lucky and some arent.

Still I dont think there is a point in getting back to the manufacturer, there is enough said on this forum and others about these issues - And its just my opinion

All the best
Old 15th November 2010, 20:04   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I suggest you take the car to the nearest tyrewala and get a new set of rubber. If one has failed, i will not be surprised if another one decides to follow the same path
Will happen the coming weekend, Jaggu. Snowed under with work. Quotes are:
Bridgestones - 3400 each;
Apollo - 3200 each;
MRF ZV2K - 3500 each.

Toss-up between Bridgestones and MRFs.

Till then, it's on unavoidable running only.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:14   #25
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest Apollp acceleres. I have heard they are good, and thats what will go into my car once the current set of Yokos are done with.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last evening, the rear right tyre on my Swift ZXi came apart in a weird fashion.
I've seen similar peeling off in retreaded tyres, but this is the first time I've noticed the same in an OE tyre.
Isn't the problem of throwing a tread as old as tyres themselves?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 15th November 2010, 20:26   #27
Team-BHP Support

Yeah even i suggest you check the Acceler's they are pretty good and great value for money.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

@SS could you please tell me the age of this tyre (Date of manufacture)?

Spike
Old 15th November 2010, 20:54   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Isn't the problem of throwing a tread as old as tyres themselves?

Regards
Sutripta
Haven't seen this happen to a radial, or at least to any halfway-decent tyre, in the last 20 years. Happens to retreaded tyres all the time is what I've seen. What's your experience of something like this? (keeping in mind that these tyres have not been abused/raced/driven at high speeds etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@SS could you please tell me the age of this tyre (Date of manufacture)?
Week 40, 2005 (translating to September - that's for a lot of other members, not for you, Spike! ).
Old 15th November 2010, 21:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

That scared me because I still run JK vectras on my Swift (2005 Dec).
Is it safe to run at highway speeds? Mates advice needed.

But I still remember vividly that the JK vectras were hailed by all reviewers when swift was launched shod on Vectras.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks