Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2010, 09:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

I'm no expert with tyres, but that was the same state when I replaced all my 4 tyres. I was experiencing poor braking at extreme left side of any road where there were even little sand. You've tyres that've lasted for about 50K is something you need to pat on your back.

From my understanding on this forum, anything upto 45K is good enough. Pls upgrade or replace with the same size of tyres as soon as you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Would I be ok with buying two new ones and putting the new tyres in front?
The other day someone else was asking for replacement & people were suggesting to replace the rear tires for better traction even for a FWD car. From my learning on that post, I understood that, all 4 tyres has to be in the same condition.

Quote:
To be very honest.. I really dont want spend the extra $$ on replacing all four unless it absolutely necessary to replace all four in one go.
@Revved - Question to you - does money buy safety or can safety buy money?

Last edited by aargee : 20th November 2010 at 09:34.
Old 20th November 2010, 10:02   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
what would be my options if I had to change my tyre? Should I get 2 new tyres and put in the front?
Your tyres have done 50,000 km. They've served you well, not give them a well deserved rest and get a new set!
Old 20th November 2010, 11:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, my stepney tyre has never been used. But my 15' rim does not fit in the stepney space in the boot. It does not go down fully.. I am not sure, even if I bought a 15" Honda rim that I would fit in the boot?
Yeah, it may not fit easily. The boot base tray might pop up a bit.

Quote:
I understand that MXV8 is an old tyre and might not be available, but Michelin might have launched a replacement too.
Just checked the Michelin India website and the only tyre in this profile is Primacy LC, would that work for me? The tread pattern looks similar in the pic.
Primacy LC would be similar, but do get at least 2 tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Is there a possibility that it gets slightly punctured, and one can drive around. And when the car is parked, all the air vents out and it becomes flat?
Depends on what has caused the puncture.
Air leaks out slowly in case of punctured tubeless tire. Tube type mostly becomes flat, the moment tube is punctured.

Quote:
This happened a few times in my tubed tyre. I am sure about this as I could no way drive with a flat tyre, but until I parked I did not find any difficulty in driving, and the next morning it would be flat!

This might be a silly question when it comes to tubeless tyres, I do not know if it can behave this way.

@kpzen - please let me know if you can clear my unawareness in this case.
Happened with me once with tubeless tire, while parking the car at night i hear a whistling sound of air leaking from one of the tires.
Next day it was a flat. Later found that a full M800 key had gone in and caused the puncture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Revved - Question to you - does money buy safety or can safety buy money?
Old 22nd November 2010, 00:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Tubeless tyres can be driven around even i fthey are punctured. I have read posts in this forum where people have mentioned they have driven for 100+ kms on tubeless tires when punctured.

Check it thoroughly, but it should not be a problem (if in doubt, replace)

In many cases, vehicle owners do not realize when the tubeless tires get punctured.
This is a very dangerous assumption. Tubeless tires no doubt have stronger sidewalls than tubed tyres - as a construction tecnology but they should NOT be driven on when they are punctured. Driving 100 kms on a punctured standard tubeless tyre is impossible, it will certainly be ruined.

What you may have seen posted is about run flats. Run flat tyres are made to take the weight of the vehicle in case of a puncture. I have stock run flats on my car. You can drive on these for about 80 kms at moderate speed over decent surface. But you will ruin the tyre for sure. The advantge is that you can safely drive short distances - to your home, to a trye shop etc without damaging the tyre. The con is the price.

Rgds
Old 22nd November 2010, 00:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
Same thing happened to me once, It was 1AM midnight and my tyre got punctured and i drove all the way home (approx 25km) on a punctured tyre, the result was tyres had huge cuts in the side. Initially I thought to scrap them, but a local tyrewala made some jugaad as there was lot more buttons left.

He cut a used tube and made as an extra protection inside the tyre and upon that put a new tube. so far no more punctures and its still running fine.I guess you could also make something like this, b/w check for damage to your Rims.
There is no way that tyre can be running fine. If you have not balanced it before fitting it may be damaging the vehicle. Also the importance of the tyre come in play when someting happens unexpectedly sudden acceleration, braking, water patches etc. Tyres can be life saver/taker. Please change that tyre IMHO.

Rgds
Old 22nd November 2010, 21:39   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
Initially I thought to scrap them, but a local tyrewala made some jugaad as there was lot more buttons left.

He cut a used tube and made as an extra protection inside the tyre and upon that put a new tube. so far no more punctures and its still running fine.I guess you could also make something like this, b/w check for damage to your Rims.
I'd love to hear what you have to say if that repaired tyre of yours bursts at 100 kph. It's one thing to drive around with a damaged tyre, entirely another to advice others into it.

Request : For your own safety, and that of others, get a new tyre!

Quote:
Tubeless tyres can be driven around even i fthey are punctured.
If it's completely flat, then the sidewall rubber is carrying the entire weight of the car...something it wasn't designed for. If you drive on a flat tyre, you need to change it. Whether tubeless or tube-type.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:22   #22
BHPian

Update: After a lot of research I went to the Micheling Dealer in Nariana (Delhi) to buy 2 new Primacy LC tyres. He was quoting 5200 per tyre.

After showing him the damaged tyre he recommeded replacing it.

Now, he gave me a very good deal which I could not resist. He showed me 2 used Michelin MXV8 tyres which he had from a customer who had replaced his tyres because apparently he wanted sporty look. This is the exact same tyre that I have.

I did a thorough check and found nothing wrong in them.

So I ended up getting 2 of them , now I have all 4 tyres which are in the same condition. Plus, I traded in my stock stepney tyre for 1800 with rim and bought a ANHC rim which I will now use as stepney with my lef over tyre.

For all this I paid 2700 bucks + free balancing and alignement + free nitrogen.

I think I got a good deal considering i now have all 5 tyres of the same profile and all are in good condition and the damaged tyre is resting in my store room(dont know what to do with it).

Thanks all for your valuable advice!

Last edited by revved_up : 22nd November 2010 at 22:24.
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:44   #23
BHPian

revvedup: That is a nice end to the story, my only suggestion is to have the new set of tyres place either at the front or back based on the condition of your 5 tires. Now the better thing is that you have the spare tire having the same size - means that you can start rotating the tires and use spare when in need - without any issues

And Replacing tires on its life maturity or damage is critical because - many have already said, we are not only risking our life, but that of others too

cheers
narayanang76
Old 3rd April 2016, 04:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car ran 20+ kms on a flat tyre :(

I had this experience recently - ended up driving 5Km or so on a flat tire.

I was running tubeless, except for my front left which was running an tubless tire from my previous set with a tube (as it got a sidewall puncture almost the week I got it, and I had kept it around for use as a stepney)

either way, i noticed my car pulling to the left, but the possibility of a flat didnt occur. But the pulling started getting stronger until I got very curious, and decided to check out the tyre. And sure it was flat.

But the tyre is still new with almost no wear <1K total running. It's back to stepney duties

Lets see what the tyre guy says
Old 3rd April 2016, 06:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car ran 20+ kms on a flat tyre :(

More than the tyre get your rims chequed. Tyres have to be replaced and rim needs to get completely checked and fixed.

We have seen and heard incidents even in 1 cr rupee land cruisers that ended in fatality.

Never risk life for 5k for 1 tyre.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks