Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2010, 22:28   #1
BHPian

Car ran 20+ kms on a flat tyre :(

Hi All,

My car went through a rather bad experience this sunday :( thanks to my Brother.
He took my car since he had to go somewhere, he returned late night. The next morning I saw the rear right tyre was flat, while changing the tyre, I could see a thick circular mark going through the whole sidewall. I have not got the tyre opened yet, so dont know what will be the damage.

I am running Michelin MXV8 195/60/R15 tyres which have already done little over 50k km, but still have alot of tread to last atleast 20k more.
I am suspecting the car might have been driven maximum 20 kms (worst case scenario) while the tyre was flat.

Wanted to take an opinon:
- Do you guys think there would be considerable damage for me to scrap this tyre and get a new one?

If I have to get a new tyre, what would be my options since I already have 3 other tyres which have ran over 50k already and the stepney is a 14" stock tyre.
Old 19th November 2010, 22:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

If the tire is burnt,meaning if you cant see some of the text written on the sidewall then the tire is a goner. If you can see the steel wires of the radial protruding out then the tire is gone too.Either way its better replace it.
Old 19th November 2010, 22:34   #3
BHPian

Same thing happened to me once, It was 1AM midnight and my tyre got punctured and i drove all the way home (approx 25km) on a punctured tyre, the result was tyres had huge cuts in the side. Initially I thought to scrap them, but a local tyrewala made some jugaad as there was lot more buttons left.

He cut a used tube and made as an extra protection inside the tyre and upon that put a new tube. so far no more punctures and its still running fine.I guess you could also make something like this, b/w check for damage to your Rims.
Old 19th November 2010, 22:42   #4
BHPian

The tyre is not cut, but i cant see some text written on the sidewall. :(
I will be going to the local tyreshop tomorrow mornig to see what bad news he has for me.

Guys what ais your opinion on the below part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
If I have to get a new tyre, what would be my options since I already have 3 other tyres which have ran over 50k already and the stepney is a 14" stock tyre.

Last edited by revved_up : 19th November 2010 at 22:46.
Old 19th November 2010, 22:48   #5
BHPian

Tubeless tyres can be driven around even i fthey are punctured. I have read posts in this forum where people have mentioned they have driven for 100+ kms on tubeless tires when punctured.

Check it thoroughly, but it should not be a problem (if in doubt, replace)

In many cases, vehicle owners do not realize when the tubeless tires get punctured.
Old 19th November 2010, 23:21   #6
BHPian

what would be my options if I had to change my tyre? Should I get 2 new tyres and put in the front?
Old 19th November 2010, 23:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Can you post some pics of the damage.

Quote:
(Assuming that your stepney tire has never been used and you would get a good buy back value)
- Get 15" honda steel rims, put the damaged tire on them and keep it as stepney and then buy a new tire.
Sounds simple but there's a twist, MXV8 might not available in the market. Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Tubeless tyres can be driven around even i fthey are punctured. I have read posts in this forum where people have mentioned they have driven for 100+ kms on tubeless tires when punctured.

Check it thoroughly, but it should not be a problem (if in doubt, replace)

In many cases, vehicle owners do not realize when the tubeless tires get punctured.
There's difference between a punctured tire which is leaking air and a completely flat tire.
In this case, its a flat tire.

Last edited by kpzen : 19th November 2010 at 23:45.
Old 20th November 2010, 00:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Can you post some pics of the damage.
I shall post the pics tomorrow morning.

Quote:
(Assuming that your stepney tire has never been used and you would get a good buy back value)
- Get 15" honda steel rims, put the damaged tire on them and keep it as stepney and then buy a new tire.
Yes, my stepney tyre has never been used. But my 15' rim does not fit in the stepney space in the boot. It does not go down fully.. I am not sure, even if I bought a 15" Honda rim that I would fit in the boot?

Quote:
Sounds simple but there's a twist, MXV8 might not available in the market. Good luck
I understand that MXV8 is an old tyre and might not be available, but Michelin might have launched a replacement too.
Just checked the Michelin India website and the only tyre in this profile is Primacy LC, would that work for me? The tread pattern looks similar in the pic.
Old 20th November 2010, 00:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:

There's difference between a punctured tire which is leaking air and a completely flat tire.
In this case, its a flat tire.
Is there a possibility that it gets slightly punctured, and one can drive around. And when the car is parked, all the air vents out and it becomes flat?

This happened a few times in my tubed tyre. I am sure about this as I could no way drive with a flat tyre, but until I parked I did not find any difficulty in driving, and the next morning it would be flat!

This might be a silly question when it comes to tubeless tyres, I do not know if it can behave this way.

@kpzen - please let me know if you can clear my unawareness in this case.
Old 20th November 2010, 00:15   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
Same thing happened to me once, It was 1AM midnight and my tyre got punctured and i drove all the way home (approx 25km) on a punctured tyre, the result was tyres had huge cuts in the side. Initially I thought to scrap them, but a local tyrewala made some jugaad as there was lot more buttons left.

He cut a used tube and made as an extra protection inside the tyre and upon that put a new tube. so far no more punctures and its still running fine.I guess you could also make something like this, b/w check for damage to your Rims.
Please replace the tire. THIS IS HIGHLY UNSAFE.

You are not only putting your life at risk, but the lives of other people on the road as well.
Old 20th November 2010, 08:38   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruben View Post
Initially I thought to scrap them, but a local tyrewala made some jugaad as there was lot more buttons left.

Don't even think of doing this.

Quote:
what would be my options if I had to change my tyre? Should I get 2 new tyres and put in the front?
Don't think of this either. Your tyres have already given you good sevice. Just replace the whole set.
Old 20th November 2010, 09:04   #12
BHPian

Attaching a few pics of the tyre.

I am also attaching a few pics of the treads to give you an idea about the life that this tyre has left in it.

Car ran 20+ kms on a flat tyre :(-20112010352.jpg

Car ran 20+ kms on a flat tyre :(-20112010353.jpg

Car ran 20+ kms on a flat tyre :(-20112010354.jpg

Car ran 20+ kms on a flat tyre :(-20112010355.jpg

Car ran 20+ kms on a flat tyre :(-20112010356.jpg

Car ran 20+ kms on a flat tyre :(-20112010357.jpg

Car ran 20+ kms on a flat tyre :(-20112010358.jpg

Car ran 20+ kms on a flat tyre :(-20112010359.jpg
Old 20th November 2010, 09:09   #13
Team-BHP Support

Replace the tires.
That is a weakened sidewall.

IMHO: Not worth the risk.
Old 20th November 2010, 09:16   #14
BANNED

I am not sure, why do we have to check possibility of getting it repaired. Its a crucial component and there should not be any compromise IMO.

I would have replaced it for sure. However, you can check possibility of getting some discount in exchange though.
Old 20th November 2010, 09:28   #15
BHPian

Would I be ok with buying two new ones and putting the new tyres in front?

To be very honest.. I really dont want spend the extra $$ on replacing all four unless it absolutely necessary to replace all four in one go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks