Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2005, 14:24   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raps
I wanted to know if your FE was down after the 205/60/15, because there is a diff' of 1.2% slower with the stock tyre (165/80/14, VXI)

I guess the best option would be 195/60/15, it will come around 0.7% which is quiet nominal. Even I am planning for the same, As I was not able to find good set of Alloys. PlLanning in a month or so.
What I feel is that I have a FE drop as well as a power drop, my FE is 11 within City 70% a/c and HW I have done some 1000 km with the a/c on full time to get 13kmpl. Top speed as well I could manage around 145 kmph which I feel shd have been 155 + with normal wheels.
Old 23rd December 2005, 14:32   #17
sAP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist
[left]

That's my car..
Nice "PLATI" wheels
sAP
Old 29th December 2005, 20:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
Woowww..!!!
That swift looks good in black..correct me if i'm wrong...
you have got set of wheels to match the fat look it has....

Old 1st February 2006, 17:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

If I fit 195/60/R14 in Swift VXI

Will this affect the ride quality?
Will this affect the FE?
Will there by error in Speedometer?
Will this affect the top speed ( less importance to this)?
Will this affect the suspension?

Also I had seen guys buying 4 set of wheels while they upsize, I had a question, what will they do if on the tyre got punctured? Will they fit in a different size tyre with normal rims for replacement temporarily?
Old 1st February 2006, 17:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Also I had seen guys buying 4 set of wheels while they upsize, I had a question, what will they do if on the tyre got punctured? Will they fit in a different size tyre with normal rims for replacement temporarily?

thats because the wider spare wheel/tire may not fit in teh space for teh spare tire ..
if you upsize to one having similar OD ...u can drive safely till you get the tire is repaired
Old 1st February 2006, 17:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
thats because the wider spare wheel/tire may not fit in teh space for teh spare tire ..
if you upsize to one having similar OD ...u can drive safely till you get the tire is repaired
I want to retain my stock tyres and rims. Stock tyres are 165/80/R14. I keep one stock tyre and rim as spare tyre & upgrade the remaining with 195/60/R14 with alloys. In case of puncture, you say I can fit in the stock tyre and rim for one of the wheels and drive safely till I get the tire repaired. Did I understand rightly?

The reason I want to do so is that I dont find any resale value for alloys while we sell the car. Hence I want to sell fo the car with stock tires and rims. Another question, is it okay, if I keep the tires and rims without using it for 4-5 years?

Please let me know whether is it okay to fit 195/60/R14
Old 1st February 2006, 17:43   #22
BHPian

Quote:
If I fit 195/60/R14 in Swift VXI

Will this affect the ride quality?
Will this affect the FE?
Will there by error in Speedometer?
Will this affect the top speed ( less importance to this)?
Will this affect the suspension?

Ride Quality there will be a tremendous improvement
FE will be affected slightly (in my case I've seen a 1kmpl drop from normal)
There is a link in this discussion where in you can see whats the error in the speedo going tobe
Top speed will be affected marginally
This choice will not affect the suspension

With Alloys you usually go with Tubeless tires where in the chances of puncture is very less, you get a puncture kit to manage the punctures just in case it happens and even if you get a puncture you can still drive the car around for quite a distance. I have my 5th wheel also of the same size but the tyre I am using Goodyear F1's they are unidirectional so I would require to change the tyre direction on the wheel depending on which one gets punctured. If you have a smaller wheel I dont think it would matter if you dont do more than say 100 km on it before you get your puncture fixed.
Old 1st February 2006, 17:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

anyone aware of a red swift with 16 or 17 inch spinners - total bling machine maan ! saw it at the RK studio signal a couple of days back !
Old 1st February 2006, 18:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to retain my stock tyres and rims. Stock tyres are 165/80/R14. I keep one stock tyre and rim as spare tyre & upgrade the remaining with 195/60/R14 with alloys. In case of puncture, you say I can fit in the stock tyre and rim for one of the wheels and drive safely till I get the tire repaired. Did I understand rightly?

yeah u can drive safely till teh next tire repair shop ...many cars do come with slightly thinner spare tires.i think teh GTX used to come with thinner tires as spare ...though am not sure.
Quote:
The reason I want to do so is that I dont find any resale value for alloys while we sell the car. Hence I want to sell fo the car with stock tires and rims. Another question, is it okay, if I keep the tires and rims without using it for 4-5 years?

just exchange your rims and tires when you change your tires ...4-5 years down teh line there will be more awareness about wider and performance tires ..and it wont affect your resale value ...

what will you do with your these more expensive rims ????forget about what will happen after 4-5 years ...
drive safe

Last edited by speedsatya : 1st February 2006 at 18:20.
Old 1st February 2006, 21:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That isn't a correct upsize.....
Correct upsize:
for 14"
185/70 GIIIs with 5.5j rim(perfect match b/w good ride quality n handling)
195/65
195/70

If u want good looks with big bling rims
195/60 -15
Old 2nd February 2006, 01:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

I would second 185/70 R 14...this is the best option with Grip, ride and FE...why would you want to burden the 1.3 litre engine with anythign more...you will ger more mud on your wheel arches, have a stiffer ride, more suspensio failure...a harsher ride also means youor car developes the all annoying rattles faster... (a wider footprint picks up more road irregularities cause the contact area is wider) and lower FE, lowe pickup and lower top speed...???
think again...185/70 is more than what you actually need unless you had 125 bhp on tap..which you dont...
I agree 165/80 is a bit on the lower side...just upsize to 185/70..dont go overboard with wide tyres.....if availableyou can also try 185/65 R 15 if you like 15" big looking rims
Old 2nd February 2006, 08:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

I think even the Zxi comes with 185/70-14.....So rest assured of any warranty issues n suspected suspension problems from MASS....
Dude just get a good set of tyres to go with n u will enjoy i'm sure.......
Only try 195/60-15 or any 15" only if u drive 90% on highways....as u never will have ride quality as the stock one infact it will be poor....
Old 2nd February 2006, 10:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
I would second 185/70 R 14...this is the best option with Grip, ride and FE...why would you want to burden the 1.3 litre engine with anythign more...you will ger more mud on your wheel arches, have a stiffer ride, more suspensio failure...a harsher ride also means youor car developes the all annoying rattles faster... (a wider footprint picks up more road irregularities cause the contact area is wider) and lower FE, lowe pickup and lower top speed...???
I've got 205/60/R15 my FE is an acceptable 11.5 in the city with/out a/c and highways 14 with a/c all the time. I've achieved a top speed of 170 kmph (meter) and still manage to do 100kmph in the second gear as fast as ever. I agree there should be a strain on the enigne due to the up sizing but I guess It aint bothering me much now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
think again...185/70 is more than what you actually need unless you had 125 bhp on tap..which you dont...
I agree 165/80 is a bit on the lower side...just upsize to 185/70..dont go overboard with wide tyres.....if availableyou can also try 185/65 R 15 if you like 15" big looking rims
Go for the 15" Dude or even 16" the car would definitely be a stunner on the road. There is not much to compromise though..... as yet
Old 2nd February 2006, 10:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist
Go for the 15" Dude or even 16" the car would definitely be a stunner on the road. There is not much to compromise though..... as yet
Agree it will be a stunner....
But the ride quality wont be good at all unless u drive only on highways...
Old 2nd February 2006, 10:44   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
Agree it will be a stunner....
But the ride quality wont be good at all unless u drive only on highways...
Ride quality will definitely be better than the other hatches/small cars in comparison.. bottom line is one wouldnt make out any major difference unless one is a sworn automotive buff
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks