Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2005, 09:55   #1
BHPian

15" Alloys for Suzuki Swift

Hi,

I got my wheels modified by changing from my stock wheels/tires to
15" Alloys and 205/60/R15 Goodyear Eagle F1 tires.

I went out for a long drive full loaded with 5 big sized guys and due to the bad road conditions, I heard a thump in my rear shocks and from then on, I was able to hear a distinct thud everytime I hit a medium sized pothole, I found out that the rear tires were hitting the wheel arches.
On returning from my trip I visited the Maruti service station and found out that the inner part of the shocks were sheared due to constant friction between the shocks piston and the outer cover. The service engineers told me that they had to offset the shocker setting to accomodate these oversize tires and alloys, they returned my car after claiming to have sorted it out. but the problem of the tires touching the arch persists.

Has anyone gone thru the same scenario, if yes can u show me a way out of this?. I am looking forward for some valuable suggestions to sort this problem out. I see the wheel arch getting damaged as well my tires.

Old 21st December 2005, 10:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Your wheels are too wide for the car - the diameter is larger causing fouling

195/60 15 or 205/50 are the best sizes as advised by some aftermarket guys
Old 21st December 2005, 11:21   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Topic moved to Tyres and Alloy Wheels section. Please post your topics in the most relevant sections only.
Old 21st December 2005, 11:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

195/60r15 is the perfect upsize for the 185/70r14 ...actually the size that you have put can also be used for upsize as it has slight OD change...try fitting rims of lesser width ....still if it does touch either you can bend the wheel arch from inside ...or mabbe go for 195 tires....but dont raise the car using rubber pads or whatever ...the handling will simply go for a toss
Old 21st December 2005, 12:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
195/60r15 is the perfect upsize for the 185/70r14 ...actually the size that you have put can also be used for upsize as it has slight OD change...try fitting rims of lesser width ....still if it does touch either you can bend the wheel arch from inside ...or mabbe go for 195 tires....but dont raise the car using rubber pads or whatever ...the handling will simply go for a toss
Thanks for the suggestions...

I have already fitted the described wheels onto my Swift and its been 5 months since I am using it this way, the road grip and handling is exceptional so to say...

Internediate ring road in Bangalore has its set of moderate curves, I could take these curves at 60 - 80 kmph in my santro/esteem while I can take these curves on my new set of wheels at over 120 kmph without the car even flinching .

I went thru all the links on team-bhp and found that I might need to check the offset of the shocks which is at 5.5J initially on the stock wheels to 7J to accomodate the bigger spec wheels. I need suggestions on this as I am due to visit Maruti service station during this week, I wanted to know if I could check on the offset and get it set to 7J is its of any help I will also look into your suggestion to modify the wheel arch to accomodate the tires when I am there...
Old 21st December 2005, 23:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

hey anarchist

If its touching the wheel arches follow as Satya suggested...
Why dont you post some pics of your ride...??
Old 22nd December 2005, 00:03   #7
BHPian

Wrong Question!!!

I know the heated discussion is about something else...

But it would be of great help if someone could tell me whether i can put a 15 inch rim on my santro. Has anyone done that. I have set my eyes on a tuner wheel which is 15 inches and I want to put it on... help me...
Old 22nd December 2005, 00:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_neo

I know the heated discussion is about something else...

But it would be of great help if someone could tell me whether i can put a 15 inch rim on my santro. Has anyone done that. I have set my eyes on a tuner wheel which is 15 inches and I want to put it on... help me...
Hey Neo

Its not possible in a santro.... unless you go in for wide body kit...
If you put 15" on your stock santro it will touch everywhere...wheel arches at the rear and while turning the front will touch the inside half of fender....
I think the maximum upsize for a santro tyre is 175...
I suggest you the best is to stay with 13"....

KP
Old 22nd December 2005, 01:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Anarchist: U should get the 195/60/R15 or 205/55/R15.This is the only solution.

Quote:
I have set my eyes on a tuner wheel which is 15 inches and I want to put it on... help me...
U said in some post that u didnt have money for the fuel to go to a Team-bhp meet on MG road.
Old 22nd December 2005, 01:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Anarchist: U should get the 195/60/R15 or 205/55/R15.This is the only solution.

U said in some post that u didnt have money for the fuel to go to a Team-bhp meet on MG road.
Hey Nitrous,
I have been honest then, quit my job and was staying at home doing nothing...
Well I have set my eyes on something... Which i will buy one way or the other at some point of time... ofcourse i need to know whether it is good to dream about those wheels... I did mention in the same post that I am running orginal rims coz the one i am looking for, will burn a hole in my ... u know where... So r u going to help me on this one....
Anyways... how was the trip... hope u guys had great fun...
Old 22nd December 2005, 09:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
hey anarchist
Quote:

If its touching the wheel arches follow as Satya suggested...
Why dont you post some pics of your ride...??
Yeh I am planning to go to the service station this saturday and see what best can be done.

That's my car..
Old 22nd December 2005, 10:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Woowww..!!!
That swift looks good in black..correct me if i'm wrong...
you have got set of wheels to match the fat look it has....
Old 22nd December 2005, 10:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Woowww..!!!
That swift looks good in black..correct me if i'm wrong...
you have got set of wheels to match the fat look it has....
Yep!! the wheels are to match the look, the stock wheels just dont fill up the space and look to thin for the car, I preferred 205/60/R15 Goodyear F1 Eagle they look amazin for the car
Old 22nd December 2005, 13:31   #14
BHPian

Quote:
15" is just not possible on a normal Santro. It would foul with everything...You could do 14"ers though.
Old 23rd December 2005, 11:27   #15
BHPian

I wanted to know if your FE was down after the 205/60/15, because there is a diff' of 1.2% slower with the stock tyre (165/80/14, VXI)

I guess the best option would be 195/60/15, it will come around 0.7% which is quiet nominal. Even I am planning for the same, As I was not able to find good set of Alloys. PlLanning in a month or so.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks