Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2011, 23:26   #1
BHPian

Goodyear Gt3 Review

The GOODYEAR GT3's are the tyres i got as an OEM from TATA for the Indica Vista Quadrajet.

Right from the first day of ownership, I found that the car moves to the left always. After 5-6 alignments and balancing done in various tyre dealers including TASS, it was found that the irregular movement was due to a defect in the tyres which is inherent to the GT3's.

Dislikes:
1. Absolutely horrible quality with alignment defects from day 1.

1. Extremely tough. I think this has MRF beaten in hardness of rubber.
2. 0 punctures after 22k's through the worst of roads.
Old 22nd January 2011, 19:07   #2
BHPian

Re: Goodyear Gt3 Review

Comfort + Mileage = Michelin XM1+, Bridgestone ER60, Goodyear Assurance
Value for Money = Apollo accelere,MRF
If you wish to upsize, try Yokohama C drive.
Old 17th May 2011, 13:25   #3
BHPian

The GT3's are the worst tyres made.

At just 25k kms, the wobbling of the steering and the car has increased. The tyre shop recommends changing the tyres as it would wear out the suspension.

OT: The treads are almost new like looking.
Old 16th December 2011, 22:39   #4
BHPian

For me the only issue with the GT3's has been the crazy noise they make on concrete roads. It gets really intrusive and god forbid, if I am driving with the windows down it is difficult to have a conversation.

Otherwise, they are really good tyres in terms of grip, stability and life. *33K kms and the treads look good for 10K more at least. The side wall is still very supple (no hardness, cracks etc). Wet and dry performance is very good.

I have no wobbling issues. (Rotation done every 5K kms, wheel balancing every 7.5-8K, alignment every service).

Overall I rate these tyres 6.5/10 where they lose out mainly on Tyre noise.
Old 24th April 2012, 22:56   #5
BHPian

GT3's are very noisy indeed. But apart from that they are very tough tyres. No punctures in 35000 odd kms including horrendous roads.
Old 10th May 2012, 14:08   #6
BHPian

Goodyear Gt3 nightmare

My 20k run Vista has had 2 tyre's replaced by Good year(GT3's) during 3rd free service @ 10k kms after escalation through TASC about wheel & steering wobble at speeds around 40kmph & above 100kmph on highways. The replacement was done after a Good year associate inspected and observed that two tyre's insides were wearing out and that's the reason for the issue. I had to pay a prorated wear & tear fee of about Rs.1600 (800+800) for new tyres and were used at the front.
Now, after the 4th free service tyre rotation, the issue has resurfaced, ditto as mentioned above. The original pair from the rear has been shifted to the front. After the same escalation process the same Good year associate started blaming the rims for the issue without even taking a test ride. He even went to the extent of blaming Indian road surfaces saying that all cars with any brand of tyre will have similar issues in India and its only abroad where these issues don’t surface bcos of their quality roads and cars. After his standup comedy, the tyres were used in another vista and taken out for a spin. The steering wobble was evident and he has agreed to replace the old pair but again upon payment of wear & tear fee of about Rs.1800 per tyre for the new pair. I have made it clear that I wouldn’t be paying bcos the associate had not diagnosed properly during the first escalation and maybe he actually replaced the wrong pair by mistake.

Do I actually have a stand against GOOD YEAR to replace the faulty tyres free of cost because of their carelessness? I do have their previous acknowledgement letters and also a query number for the current escalation.
Old 13th May 2012, 14:45   #7
BHPian

Re: Goodyear Gt3 nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Now, after the 4th free service tyre rotation, the issue has resurfaced, ditto as mentioned above. The original pair from the rear has been shifted to the front...The steering wobble was evident and he has agreed to replace the old pair but again upon payment of wear & tear fee of about Rs.1800 per tyre for the new pair. I have made it clear that I wouldn’t be paying bcos the associate had not diagnosed properly during the first escalation and maybe he actually replaced the wrong pair by mistake.

Do I actually have a stand against GOOD YEAR to replace the faulty tyres free of cost because of their carelessness? I do have their previous acknowledgement letters and also a query number for the current escalation.
Sam, If I was, I would've gone with the original tyre position before 4th service's rotation and wait for ~35K KMs and get rid of all Goodyear GT3s. I feel it's not worth paying Rs. 1800/ tyre for a GT3. Its worth, if you get them as a free replacement. Majority of problems related to tyres in Vista, will be with GT3s only. Having said that, I got 3 GT3s as warranty replacements for our Vistas and all the 3 came free. I guess even the new Vista doesn't come with a GT3 but with some other model of Goodyear. Does the new tyre you got as replacement carries any warranty? Did Goodyear associate give any assurance that the problem wouldn't resurface?

Quote:
After the same escalation process the same Good year associate started blaming the rims for the issue without even taking a test ride. He even went to the extent of blaming Indian road surfaces saying that all cars with any brand of tyre will have similar issues in India and its only abroad where these issues don’t surface bcos of their quality roads and cars.
The Goodyear associate was in a way better, he blamed Indian roads and other brands only. When I reported wobbling issue, one of the TASC guy who took a test ride, went far beyond and blamed all TATA cars, said it's common in almost all TATA cars.
Arun.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 15:43   #8
BHPian

I had a puncture in the GT3. The roadside tyre shop mechanics had stuck a rubber patch in the tubeless gt3's. Is it safe to use???
Old 15th May 2012, 16:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun.K View Post
Sam, If I was, I would've gone with the original tyre position before 4th service's rotation and wait for ~35K KMs and get rid of all Goodyear GT3s. I feel it's not worth paying Rs. 1800/ tyre for a GT3. Its worth, if you get them as a free replacement. Majority of problems related to tyres in Vista, will be with GT3s only. Having said that, I got 3 GT3s as warranty replacements for our Vistas and all the 3 came free. I guess even the new Vista doesn't come with a GT3 but with some other model of Goodyear. Does the new tyre you got as replacement carries any warranty? Did Goodyear associate give any assurance that the problem wouldn't resurface?

The Goodyear associate was in a way better, he blamed Indian roads and other brands only. When I reported wobbling issue, one of the TASC guy who took a test ride, went far beyond and blamed all TATA cars, said it's common in almost all TATA cars.
Arun-How did u get the tyres for free?Could you throw some light on it!
I feel if i wait for 35k kms ,i will endup causing significant damage to the steering column & suspensions, that's how bad the wobble is.I guess a video of the same would do the explanation.

TASC guys are more than enough to bury TATA motors in the grave.
Old 17th May 2012, 16:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Arun-How did u get the tyres for free?Could you throw some light on it!
Sam, all the replacements were done through TASC. In case of the first two tyres a bulge developed on the sidewall within 2000 KMs and around 6000 KMs respectively. Third tyre developed a crack on the shoulder around 10000 KMs. All these damages happened within a year of purchase of our Vistas. So it was bit easy for the free claim. For all the claims TASC people registered the complaint and kept the tyres with them for inspection by Goodyear representative. The Goodyear representative called us and enquired about the damage. I think our contact numbers would've been registered by TASC people. The whole claim process took around 15 to 20 days.

Actually another claim was turned down for a fourth tyre which again developed bulge on the sidewall around 30000 KMs citing the mileage.
Arun.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 21:35   #11
J.Ravi

My Linea Gets 4 New GT3 At Chandigarh

My Linea's stock tyres Good Year GT3 covered 51,900 km with 3 mm deep tread left. Since I had planned to go via Chandigarh for my Himachal Pradesh trip, I decided to get them replaced there as the cost was less there compared to Bangalore thanks to lower taxes.

I decided to replace her tyres with the same Good Year GT3 as I was fully satisfied with the performance of GT3. No experimentation when fully satisfied with a product, that is my principle so far. I had very less number of punctures in these OE stock tyres. Of course, there was a tyre burst just before I reached Chandigarh. The details are here.

So, I took two quotations from Good Year dealers in Chandigarh earlier. Tyre Zone [Dot Arjun] quoted Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Views: 9035
Size:  578 Bytes 4,400 plus free fitment/wheel balancing with wheel alignment chargeable. Bansal Auto Zone quoted Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Size:  578 Bytes 4,500+free fitment only all others chargeable. So, I decided in favour of Tyre Zone, Manimajra, Chandigarh.

When the work was over, Dot Arjun charged me Name:  rupeesymbol.gif
Size:  578 Bytes 17,600 only for 4 tyres all inclusive including nitrogen-filling, wheel-balancing, fitment and wheel alignment. He also gave me a JK tyre-branded traveller's bag. That was a good deal, in fact, cheaper than that of changemytyre.com. The cost was very less compared to our local Good Year brand store at Basaveswara Nagar, Bangalore.

Old 23rd January 2013, 21:41   #12
Team-BHP Support

My Fusion was on GT3 (stock). The first run was for 50K when I changed.
Second set I changed at about 90K. I was satisfied with the ride quality (May be I did not know how much improvement I could have got with Michelin. Hence the ignorance).
Also I drive very sedate. Hence would not have noticed the discomfort. But over I was very satisfied.

When I was changing my first set, Primacy LC was just released. At those times, a pack of 4 Michelins would have costed about 22K, while I paid 12K for a pack of 4 GT3.
This was back in 2007-08.
Old 15th May 2013, 12:39   #13
BHPian

Hopeless quality. The treads are shredding off. One tyre (OE on my Linea) developed a flat spot, and is unusable.

Very noisy.

Excellent grip, but once the tyre crosses 25k, the tyres call for regular inspection. Safe bet to change under 30000 km.
Old 21st May 2013, 15:14   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
One tyre (OE on my Linea) developed a flat spot, and is unusable.
At what no of kms was this ? A flat spot is usually caused by improper or no balancing being done on the tyres. Ideally you should get Wheel alignment and wheel balancing done every 4,000-5,000 kms.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2020 at 11:13. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
Old 6th June 2013, 12:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post

At what no of kms was this ? A flat spot is usually caused by improper or no balancing being done on the tyres. Ideally you should get Wheel alignment and wheel balancing done every 4,000-5,000 kms.
Hi, was at around 25000 km. I regularly carry out alignment and balancing, sometimes earlier than schedule if I get a pull or steering wobble :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks