Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 12:03   #16
BANNED

Re: PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India

Brilliant. Just remember where Citroen innovated, fwd (Traction Avant means just that), Hydro-pneumatic suspension (GS), small car cross linked front and rear suspensions (2CV), etc. They are the kings in innovation, but the French have been very conservative in extolling their virtues.
Old 16th June 2011, 13:41   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Hi Everyone,

There were many Citroen Traction Avant's in India from what i gather from people. My Grand father at one point of time owned a 4 Cylinder English Citroen Traction Avant. The main objective of this thread is to see how many cars still exist in India and also to document the pictures.

So i hope everyone will contribute with there info and Photographs.

Some photo graphs of a 6 Cylinder traction Avant from Kolkata which was restored in our Workshop.This car has a racing History behind it. It used to be Regularly raced in the Barrackpore Races. There is an old Gentleman whom i ment in my last visit to Calcutta who said that a lady named Mini Pan used to race this car. He has seen this car being raced against a 56 Studebaker Commander(v8). When they used to start off the commander used to take off like a rocket and be far ahead but at the corners the commander would slow down to maneuver through the corners and the this Citroen used to take the corners much faster and used to catch up with the commanders. There is a magazine i have which i need to hunt out which has an article of this car being raced.
Some pictures of the car During Restoration and some after Restoration.
Thanks IndrojitSircar, for starting this thread on the Traction Avant and also thanks for posting pictures of my car. Mine is a 1947 11BL, French.
It is a favorite among my cars, and it certainly is a pleasure to drive with its OHV engine. In fact , I have taken the car to Pondicherry from Chennai for two Vintage Rallies and it went like a dream ! It certainly was an attraction with the French tourists in Pondy when it was parked in the beach and the patriotic French never missed an oppurtunity to take a picture next to it ! Shall post some more pictures.
Old 16th June 2011, 15:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Thanks IndrojitSircar, for starting this thread on the Traction Avant and also thanks for posting pictures of my car. Mine is a 1947 11BL, French.
Hey Dussey, long time no see ! Waiting for more and detailed pics of your car. They'll certainly enrich this thread. Besides, you're probably the only one on this forum who owns a Traction.
Old 16th June 2011, 20:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Hey Dussey, long time no see ! Waiting for more and detailed pics of your car. They'll certainly enrich this thread. Besides, you're probably the only one on this forum who owns a Traction.
Thanks, SuperSelect.
I am posting some more pics.
These pictures are of the Traction Avant in the Vintage car rally from Chennai to Pondicherry. It is somewhat of a homecoming for the Traction as Pondy was an erstwhile French principality. You can see the throngs of admirers when it was parked in front of the Tourist office in the Pondy beach. Dont miss some of the French tourists looking keenly at the car.

Quite right ,I was a little dormant on this forum as I was busy constructing a Garage/Display with all my cars, bikes and Scale models. You can see pictures of the display in the link given in my profile homepage in Team BHP.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-dsc_0049-r.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-dsc_0056-r.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-pondy-heritage-rally-08jan11-025-r.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-pict0043-r.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-pict0054-r.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-pondy-heritage-rally-08jan11-036-r.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-pondy-heritage-rally-08jan11-046-r.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-pondy-heritage-rally-08jan11-073-r.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-pondy-heritage-rally-08jan11-076-r.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-pondy-heritage-rally-08jan11-081-r.jpg  

Old 18th June 2011, 09:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thought ill put up my car too here.. Its a 1951, Traction Avant. English.

I am currently working on the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-2296.jpg  

Old 19th June 2011, 22:10   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some more pics for the record - all taken from the forum itself.

The first two cars I think still remain in Pondicherry.

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-01.jpg

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-02.jpg

These two attended events in Bangalore

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-03.jpg

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-04.jpg

This is the Jasdanwalla 6 cyl car

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-05.jpg

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-06.jpg

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-07.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 22:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here are some more pics for the record - all taken from the forum itself.

Attachment 562836

Attachment 562837

Attachment 562838

Hi karl,

Thank you for these pictures. The last car seems to be a bit non authentic with the radial tyres and the wooden finish on the dash board and the door frames to make it more like the English Citroen's which came with the wooden dash board. This car is clearly a French car going by the headlights and the Meter console. Some more pictures of this car?

Regards

Indrojit Sircar
Old 20th June 2011, 07:36   #23
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Attachment 562837
This car seems to be a younger car post 1953 may be, considering that it has a boot. I would hazard a guess that this car is the youngest amongst the 6 Cyl. Citroen's surviving. Karl any pictures of the engine? It is always fascinating to see the huge engine.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 09:52   #24
BHPian

There is a Big Six in the Jaipur Garage, did see a photo on Team BHP, but cant seem to trace it right now.

Cheers
AK
Old 20th June 2011, 13:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Thanks, SuperSelect.
I am posting some more pics.
These pictures are of the Traction Avant in the Vintage car rally from Chennai to Pondicherry. It is somewhat of a homecoming for the Traction as Pondy was an erstwhile French principality. You can see the throngs of admirers when it was parked in front of the Tourist office in the Pondy beach. Dont miss some of the French tourists looking keenly at the car.

Quite right ,I was a little dormant on this forum as I was busy constructing a Garage/Display with all my cars, bikes and Scale models. You can see pictures of the display in the link given in my profile homepage in Team BHP.
Lovely colours on the car. I always thought that the car was made for 2 toning, and your cars shades go with the car so well.

Out of curiosity, what is the big grey sedan (looks American) in one of the pics, at the front right of your car? It looks very well restored/maintained, with period colour combination. In fact, it really looks like a car straight out of a Hollywood movie based in the late 20s early 30s.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 20th June 2011, 19:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Lovely colours on the car. I always thought that the car was made for 2 toning, and your cars shades go with the car so well.

Out of curiosity, what is the big grey sedan (looks American) in one of the pics, at the front right of your car? It looks very well restored/maintained, with period colour combination. In fact, it really looks like a car straight out of a Hollywood movie based in the late 20s early 30s.

Regards
Prithvi
Prithvi, its a Dodge Brothers, its a very well restored car. In fact if I am right it could be a second owner car.
Dussey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 23:11   #27
BHPian

A video clip on a Citreon Traction Avant being restored in Delhi, please follow the link:

Old 21st June 2011, 10:39   #28
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domnic View Post
Thought ill put up my car too here.. Its a 1951, Traction Avant. English.
I am currently working on the engine.
Seems to be good shape. Is the engine going through major over haul? From where do you source your parts? Are you your repairing the car yourself or are you doing it in a workshop, if so which workshop?

Cheers

KPS
Old 21st June 2011, 10:48   #29
BHPian

Domnic, in one of your posts of 2004, you have mentioned your family had collected a lot of spare parts for various Traction Avant models. Do you still have a lot of spares which you plan to dispose off?
Old 21st June 2011, 11:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

This is a Traction Avant wheel rim. With and without hubcap. Was this fitted to the French or British cars? If I remember some Citroen rims needed Michelin tyres because the mounting to the rim had a different arrangement, something like beaded edge? And when the leaders of our great nationimposed restrictive import policies, tyres for these cars became an issue and rims were changed. I am looking for such a rim to add to my collection.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-cit-rim-01a.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-cit-rim-02a.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks