Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2012, 19:30   #76
BHPian

Re: PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philedonos View Post
reagrding theh filter: the 15Cv used the so called "bazooka" filter in rance, while the English version looks like a big round cheese! Now, you ilter looks like a bazooka with a conical ending to it, am I right?
I attach 2 pictures of the French filter, from the front and side along with the original copy of the relevant spare pieces catalogue by Citroen. You could check if your filter looks like a modification of it:

will try to look into this once I am in Europe this summer; by August I should know, surrounded by Slough built cars in Harrogate...
All the best!
Actually this filter cover is like the French 'bazooka' filter, except it's more like a 'torpedo' In fact, the car has its original manuals, 2 books, leather bound, only for Slough cars. One book has the text, the other the corresponding illustrations. The manual shows the car to have a similar filter as the French unit you have attached. And you are correct, the actual filter arrangement inside the cover of adkol's car is just like what I see in your pic, only, as you said, the cover is coned shaped towards the radiator. Doesn't look modified to me, the clamps don't look like a local job, there are no weld or cut marks and no signs of a panel being beaten. If it is a mod (which I doubt) it's been done very well.

Regards
mbz180
Old 8th April 2012, 19:47   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philedonos

Hello mbz180 and thank you for the welcome.
The '49 15 Six was one of the reasons I became a member of this Forum. I really wanted to comment on the car, it is not only beautiful but also rare. The leather is marvellous and should never be changed, just treated with the right oils/waxes, and patches replaced by a skilled craftsman if really necessary.
The engine's exterior too should stay like this, the originality of it makes it so unique. And the original dashboard instruments, wow.
I wasn't too happpy about the repaint, as I think cars should be preserved if not in dire need of coachwork, but then I read the explanations regarding the hard MOT tests you have to do in certain Indian cities and realised that to keep it on the road the respray was necessary. Great vehicle!
In which city is the car now?
Ps: this August the quadrennial International Citroen car meeting (ICCCR) will take place in August in England. If any of you are still looking for a place to have some nice summer vacations....
Hi

You mention in your post that this car is rare, can you please expand on that. I am aware that in 1949 only 15 big 6 were built. But was not aware this car was rare.

Cheers
AK
Old 11th April 2012, 11:20   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philedonos View Post
Nice pre 1953 car! It is a post war model, recognisable by the bonnet louvres; a 11CV Légère (the short model), probably 1950-1952.
Seems to have all the original pieces in place, including the hubcaps, maybe the whipers aare missing. But would need a little bit of sprucing up for the body work.
Anyone knows the owner? Would love to meet him, maybe I could also help if he (or anyone else) needs Traction parts, as I am in France every summer.
SuperSelect knows the owner. You could ask him
Old 5th July 2012, 19:12   #79
BHPian

I am working on my 1946 Traction which i believe is one of the rarest in India. Once its ready to bring up on the roads i will post here with pics. When i was a kid I dint know the value of this old beauty but over the time i have realized how priceless this car is.
Old 6th July 2012, 07:51   #80
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_to_odd View Post
I am working on my 1946 Traction which i believe is one of the rarest in India.
It would be interesting to know why you call this rarest? Is it because it was pre-war design sold immediately post war? Does the car have any unique mechanical features which you believe is very rare? I am curious as there is always something to learn.

Cheers

KPS
Old 6th July 2012, 11:39   #81
Senior - BHPian

Please can you upload some pics. What is the year of manufacture and also the details in regards to any Mechanical advancements during the time which don't feature in India. Is it a convertible ?

Information provided to authenticate would be great. Thank you

Cheers

Quote:
I am working on my 1946 Traction which i believe is one of the rarest in India. Once its ready to bring up on the roads i will post here with pics. When i was a kid I dint know the value of this old beauty but over the time i have realized how priceless this car is.
Old 6th July 2012, 12:39   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am working on my 1946 Traction which i believe is one of the rarest in India. Once its ready to bring up on the roads i will post here with pics. .......
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
It would be interesting to know why you call this rarest? Is it because it was pre-war design sold immediately post war? Does the car have any unique mechanical features which you believe is very rare? I am curious as there is always something to learn. Cheers
KPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Please can you upload some pics. What is the year of manufacture and also the details in regards to any Mechanical advancements during the time which don't feature in India. Is it a convertible ?......Cheers
The car could be rare if it is a convertible, a Limo 7 seater, or has a 6 cylinder engine. Rare as in India. Lets have some details ans pictures of the car as found, or as she was before the restoration started.
And what is the history? a family car or an aquisition?
Just curious about your 1946 car

Cheers harit
Old 14th July 2012, 16:51   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Please can you upload some pics. What is the year of manufacture and also the details in regards to any Mechanical advancements during the time which don't feature in India. Is it a convertible ?

Information provided to authenticate would be great. Thank you

Cheers
I dont have much info on the cars specs. I will get the details soon and post it here with pics. When the Traction is ready i will take it out for a spin to Marine lines. Any one interested in seeing the car are most welcome. There is a 2CV also which is in superb condition. Our next mission is to revive a Citroen DS silver dome. All classic and rare.
Old 17th July 2012, 06:02   #84
BHPian

Ok I found out a few details. It is a 4 cylinder and not a convertible. When I said rare I said it because not many people own this car. And people who have dont maintain it the way they should. Neither am I saying it can't be found. Mine is a 1946 manufactured vehicle. Anyways, pretty soon I will post pics here. Can't wait to drive it on Mumbai roads.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 17th July 2012 at 09:40. Reason: Please avoid using SMS language. Thanks.
Old 17th July 2012, 11:21   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...... Citroen DS silver dome. All classic and rare.
Quote:
Ok I found out a few details. It is a 4 cylinder and not a convertible. When I said rare I said it because not many people own this car. And people who have dont maintain it the way they should. Neither am I saying it can't be found. Mine is a 1946 manufactured vehicle. Anyways, pretty soon I will post pics here. Can't wait to drive it on Mumbai roads.
These cars must be in Andheri, West, where a person once owned a Plymouth Silver Dome now with another collector. It may be his DS, yes a rare car but only in India.
Traction Avants are not rare in India when a normal post war 4 cylinder car.

Cheers harit
Old 17th July 2012, 12:38   #86
BHPian

The DS/ID19 came in 1955, this one he says is 1946! Anyway, wrt to the DS, Jackie Shroff owned a DS once upon a time, if I remember right. And, there was a Break around too (and a more luxurious Pallas as well) - if I'm not mixing up the sightings. I wonder where the ones in Delhi have gone?
Old 17th July 2012, 12:56   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
These cars must be in Andheri, West, where a person once owned a Plymouth Silver Dome now with another collector.

Cheers harit
Harit
Citroens in Andheri west.. There were a few where Anoop T. has his workshop. Are these the ones you speak about?
Old 17th July 2012, 23:29   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
I wonder where the ones in Delhi have gone?
rg has cut up at least two, including the algerian ambassador's pallas that rg's father later owned. rg has also cut up a minimum of a dozen 2cv's, plus a couple of tractions to complete his, plus a karmann-ghia, possibly a low light. im not even getting to the peugeot 404 and 504s etc.....nobody wanted those white elephants then.

Last edited by awini : 17th July 2012 at 23:31.
Old 18th July 2012, 10:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
rg has cut up at least two, including the algerian ambassador's pallas that rg's father later owned. rg has also cut up a minimum of a dozen 2cv's, plus a couple of tractions to complete his, plus a karmann-ghia, possibly a low light. im not even getting to the peugeot 404 and 504s etc.....nobody wanted those white elephants then.
Who is is mysterous "rg" and why does he cut up French cars ?
Old 19th July 2012, 21:53   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a 2CV also which is in superb condition. Our next mission is to revive a Citroen DS silver dome. All classic and rare.
Hey I'd love to see the 2CV and the DS. Can you guide me to the location please ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
These cars must be in Andheri, West, where a person once owned a Plymouth Silver Dome now with another collector. It may be his DS, yes a rare car but only in India.
Traction Avants are not rare in India when a normal post war 4 cylinder car.

Cheers harit
There was a gentleman in Andheri west - complete Citroen fanatic (like me - he he !!). I'd visited him once, he ran a self-styled outfit called the "Club Citroen de Bombay" His place was a Citroen lover's dream come true. A DS, a 2CV, a 2CV van, a rare 'Ami' among other Citroens in various stages of disrepair. He also had a hoard of parts, including gas bulbs for the famed Hydro-pneumatic suspensions.
Wonder what happened to him.
In fact, his DS participated in the VCCCI abut 15 years back. A grand sight she was..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks