Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 13:10   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is a Traction Avant wheel rim. With and without hubcap. Was this fitted to the French or British cars? If I remember some Citroen rims needed Michelin tyres because the mounting to the rim had a different arrangement, something like beaded edge? And when the leaders of our great nationimposed restrictive import policies, tyres for these cars became an issue and rims were changed. I am looking for such a rim to add to my collection.

Cheers harit
This type of rim was knows as the Artillery type wheel and came normally on the 4 cylinder French cars. Yes you are right about the tyres. Most of the cars had a problem with the tyres because these cars used a metric size tyre - 185/400 X / TT made only by Michelin. The Size was something between 15in and 16in. So 15 would be small and 16 would be big. So the common thin g done by people was to modify the well of the rim and make it 15in. Once the rim was 15in you could get a variety of tyres in that sizes locally.
Old 21st June 2011, 13:19   #32
BHPian

This car was for sale in Goa 2-3 years ago with 4L price tag

Anyone bought this ?
Attached Thumbnails
PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-p1010981.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-p1010983.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-p1010982.jpg  

Old 21st June 2011, 18:54   #33
BHPian

A 1948 Citroen Traction Avant 15-6 (Big Six). The car as you will see is in quite original condition. The paint is original, as are the interiors. It's a right hand drive English Slough built Citroen, and compared to the French cars, is more luxurious, with a wooden dash, lovely wood surround the doors windows etc. The dials are a combination of Jaeger and Smiths .

No parts have been replaced till date except the original owner has added a water temperature meter locally.

It was Originally owned by the IG Police of Pondicherry and has clocked 11700 miles.

Note the engine oil level indicator.

Photographs are courtesy KPS
Attached Thumbnails
PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-cit-11.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-cit-54.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-cit-rear-seat1.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-cit-dash.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-cit-engine-r1.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-cit-full-dash1.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-cit-oil-level-indicator1.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-cit-seat-back1.jpg  

PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-cit-trafficator1.jpg  

Old 21st June 2011, 22:05   #34
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkol View Post
A 1948 Citroen Traction Avant 15-6 (Big Six). The car as you will see is in quite original condition. The paint is original, as are the interiors. It's a right hand drive English Slough built Citroen, and compared to the French cars, is more luxurious, with a wooden dash, lovely wood surround the doors windows etc. The dials are a combination of Jaeger and Smiths .

No parts have been replaced till date except the original owner has added a water temperature meter locally.

It was Originally owned by the IG Police of Pondicherry and has clocked 11700 miles.

Note the engine oil level indicator.

Photographs are courtesy KPS
Final the car reveals itself in full glory. Congrats Adkol for this wonderful acquisition, a rare 6 Cyl. The originality of this car really impressed me, imagine the right trafficator worked after we sprayed WD40 to free it! . This car was lying for so many years, fortunately it was covered and the Bangalore weather was very kind and the car was saved. Though sad that this car will leave Bangalore at least I am happy that she will be in good hands.

The engine is just amazingly big and sounds powerful

The Oil Indicator on the engine was very interesting. We were searching for the dip stick to check the oil level and we just could not find it Finally Dad figured out there is only an engine oil indicator and no dip stick
PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-cit-oil-level-indicator1.jpg

Cheers

KPS
Old 22nd June 2011, 00:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Seems to be good shape. Is the engine going through major over haul? From where do you source your parts? Are you your repairing the car yourself or are you doing it in a workshop, if so which workshop?

Cheers

KPS

I am basically doing a complete rebuild on a spare engine i have and once completed will transplant it. The current motor is running fine, but a little low on compression. Got some new liners and pistons from uk, with unleaded valves and guides.

Most parts i do have stock with me, almost 3 sets. I have made a whole bunch of cv joints and major parts that require constant attention. Other parts as and when required i get them from London. I recently ordered 2 sets of lucas headlights as one of mine broke.

I am doing the build myself, I run a workshop myself so as and when i have time to spare my attention goes to the light 15.

Quote:
Domnic, in one of your posts of 2004, you have mentioned your family had collected a lot of spare parts for various Traction Avant models. Do you still have a lot of spares which you plan to dispose off?

I still have the spares with me, Let me know what you need. If i can part with it I surely will give you a shout.

Cheers
Dom
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:29   #36
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

The 6 cylinder engine really looks majestic and hence I though I should pictures of the engine. I am sure all the 4 Cyl. car owners will appreciate this engine even more.

The right side of the engine. Notice the beautiful torpedo shaped air filter
PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-cit-engine-r.jpg

The Left side looks a plain Jane but gives you a fair idea on the size of the engine
PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-cit-engine-l.jpg

Dual Coils with change over switch below the wiper motor
PICS: Citroen Traction Avant cars in India-cit-dual-coil.jpg

Cheers

KPS
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

WOW this six cylinder car is so original that restoring it would be a grave mistake.....I think it should be cleaned and preserved as it is now and care should be taken so it doesn't deteriorate any further.
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:47   #38
BHPian

Wasif, so have other mentioned it too. But, there seem to be two school of thoughts and that puts me in to a quandary.

KPS thanks for putting up clearer photographs, I must take this opportunity to also say a few words of the wonderful spirit on Team BHP. I landed up in Bangalore and purchased the car, then the problem of finding a broker to help in transfer of the vehicle documents to my name and finding a Flatbed truck came up! I rang up KPS without ever having corresponding or knowing him with a mutual friend passing on his number. KPS, said there were no issues and sent me the Flatbed Truck companies number immediately and then asked me to contact his father with regards to the RTO documentation. On speaking to his father, Mr. Prithvi Ganapathy, not only did he say he would help but said he would come along to the broker as they may take me for a ride. I was floored already, without knowing me these two gentlemen were already going out of the way.

To cut things short, not only did Mr. Ganapathy go with me to the broker but post the meeting with the broker came with me to the see the car and took the car for an Emission test and on finding that the vehicle clutch, brakes etc needing to be attended too called in mechanics and supervised their work. Today too since I came back to Calcutta, Mr. Ganapathy and KPS are getting the car attended too for the RTO inspection, they instead of me our giving me a daily update. I am so humbled that there are no words to describe the gratitude I feel towards these two outstanding individuals. All i can say is thank you!!
adkol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

What are the two schools of thought and what are your actual plans for this car
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Wasif, so have other mentioned it too. But, there seem to be two school of thoughts and that puts me in to a quandary.
I strongly agree with Wasif, a 'Sympathetic Restoration' is all that is required. AdKol, even collectors like Jay Leno, when he discovered a car lying in a barn for nearly 30 years, only had an engine rebuild done, and that too because it was seized. The rest of the car, was left just as it was, apart from some polishing, buffing, etc. The car in question was a Duesenburg Model X, if I'm not mistaken.

I suggest you leave the interiors as it is, and if the springs are weak then use cushions to drive the car!

Regards
Prithvi
Old 22nd June 2011, 12:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

Where is that RYP regestration from ? If the car was originally in Pondy has it moved to Rajisthan at some point and then on to Bangalore ??
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hi adkol,

Congrats on your purchase. lovely car, and the English version has somehow more class than the French one has.
Now what to do with your car is for you to figure out.
Personally, I would not do much except a 100% mechanical overhaul, but 100% I mean to have it up and about with 100% reliability, not dismantle each and every component.
The leather upholstry I would keep as it is, apply "Hide food" on the leather as it is dry and cracked. Maybe a suitably loose cover can be put, or if you find a skilled upholsterer maybe he can replace some segments. While doing that you may also get some backing or new foam put in the seats
Regarding paint, I would try to touch up the bad areas and not do a complete respray. Today with modern technology these guys can even match faded paints.
Finally the decision is your yours, enjoy the car and be a proud owner.
Your name adkol is ad from Kolkatta?

Cheers harit
Old 22nd June 2011, 13:25   #43
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Where is that RYP regestration from ? If the car was originally in Pondy has it moved to Rajisthan at some point and then on to Bangalore ??
This is PYP only and was a Pondy car. The number looks like RYP from some angles. This car was never in Rajasthan. Has been in Bangalore for many years

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
I strongly agree with Wasif, a 'Sympathetic Restoration' is all that is required. I suggest you leave the interiors as it is, and if the springs are weak then use cushions to drive the car!
Regards
Prithvi
Not much needs to be done on the interiors. We have to give a over coat of paint as the RTO in Bangalore are very strict on the Fitness Inspection for old cars. When our Wolseley went for fitness there was a pristine Jawa sent back as the noise was very high.

Guess when the car comes to Cal. you could take the final call.

Cheers

KPS
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

What has paint got to do with fitness. Fitness as per definition should deal with tehmechanical aspect of the car and no cosmetic
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:13   #45
BHPian

Harit. Thank you. Am on a flight, shall reply to your other points later.

Wasif, every state has a different rule in their RTO's. In Bengal for example officially I am not allowed to register a car over 15 years old. So all we have seen cars moving out of Calcutta and not too many coming in and being registered here. Bangalore RTO needs the car to look fresh and clean in all aspects.

MBZ, maybe on my return we can debate it as long as you are buying the rounds!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks