Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2013, 22:58   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Finally the car comes home. And am so happy to own her.
The car looks amazing, cant think of a better owner for it. I love
The way bose has quite skilfully almost diffused the original lines of the car into the paintwork. The mass of the nano is now just reduced to streaks of paint. Beautiful! I would rather have this car than his canvas
Old 14th September 2013, 10:53   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Congratulations!!

Please do not park your investment under a tree, even for a photo shoot. Crows and Pigeons do not appreciate Mr Bose's creation

When do we get to see ? How about a dinner to celebrate, but on condition that we all pay
Thanks Bulldogji.
You may see her anytime at my house at Worli. She is in my stilt parking, so hopefully safe.
I am wondering/studying on how to preserve her body internal and external, with some treatment, Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old 14th September 2013, 11:46   #93
BHPian

Hey Scooby, congrats on your acquisition I hope it brings you happiness to use and look at, please be careful on the roads, because errant drivers might cause scratches and such.
Perhaps you can call up D.A.D designs or any body/paint/wrap shop and ask them if there is a transparent wrap ( if something like this exists) that they can put on the car exterior to preserve the paint?
On a personal note, I don't understand art except in terms of paintings I like and ones I don't, but I can say the car looks very vibrant and lively.
Enjoy
Old 14th September 2013, 12:33   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bulldogji.
You may see her anytime at my house at Worli. She is in my stilt parking, so hopefully safe.
I am wondering/studying on how to preserve her body internal and external, with some treatment, Any suggestions would be welcome.
I'd suggest you get yourself a car capsule bubble to ensure the paint survives the harsh bombay climate!!

Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-cap061.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-CarCaps...item4ac88aea2c
Shivraj88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 13:01   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivraj88 View Post
I'd suggest you get yourself a car capsule bubble to ensure the paint survives the harsh bombay climate!!

Attachment 1138293

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-CarCaps...item4ac88aea2c
I already have the Carcoon from UK lying with me for 3 years now. Maybe will use it. Though its the outdoor version so its not transparent.
I first need to catch someone who can do a very good under body protection, along with the door and fender insides.
Has someone tried the 3M under carriage and door protection systems?
Old 14th September 2013, 15:31   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bulldogji.
Consider a clear coat of either lacquer or polyurethene. This will protect, to a certain extent, the paint from the UV rays and minor abrasions. However bird droppings being highly corrosive , seem to penetrate even such protective coatings and spoil the paint.

You must get expert advice, ( not team BHP, with all due respect) from someone who knows the chemistry of automotive paint processes. Also Mr Bose must tell you what paints were used by him, to ensure perfect balance between his paint and the proposed protective layer.

The undercoats I have found good, are either from Wurth or a M Benz product called stone guard. A tough coating substance, good adhesion, and if needed can be painted over.

A thought arises, when the car goes for its routine service, who will ensure that the paint is not damaged? Workshops are quite careless .

Hope to see you soon in the BOSE, quite a change from your normal , eye popping beauties
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 16:04   #97
Senior - BHPian

This is a lovely Nano. It is as colourful as a circus car, striking and standing out. This is a new vehicle, circus cars were old bangers. And painted by a renown artist.
Here is another vehicle, the concept is not dissimilar.

Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-funny-car.jpg

The next step is to preserve this.
All may be aware of Dinitrol. When this is applied to a new vehicle, it lasts for a long time. We had a Maruti Van which was treated with Dinitrol when new and it lasted for more than 10 years before rust spots appeared at the usual notorious places, like the sliding door chanels. Our earlier van which was 95% Japanese started to rust in the second year and it was not treated. The trick is that there must be no surface rust present at all to be effective, and mostly new cars are only suitable. I did this treatment on my Amby after tin work and it was ineffective. The disadvantage of Dinitrol is that when applied it flows out of holes and slots, one must be careful not to stain the valuable surface. It was effective for sure, whether new and more modern treatnebts are available I don't know.

Another idea was to put fiberglass matting on the floor, we had it on out Contessa. It lasted well, car started rusting after the rest of the car had rusted away.

Whatever is to be done, do it soon so that no surface rust forms.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 14th September 2013 at 16:10.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 15:33   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Consider a clear coat of either lacquer or polyurethene. This will protect, to a certain extent, the paint from the UV rays and minor abrasions. However bird droppings being highly corrosive , seem to penetrate even such protective coatings and spoil the paint.

You must get expert advice, ( not team BHP, with all due respect) from someone who knows the chemistry of automotive paint processes. Also Mr Bose must tell you what paints were used by him, to ensure perfect balance between his paint and the proposed protective layer.

The undercoats I have found good, are either from Wurth or a M Benz product called stone guard. A tough coating substance, good adhesion, and if needed can be painted over.

A thought arises, when the car goes for its routine service, who will ensure that the paint is not damaged? Workshops are quite careless .

Hope to see you soon in the BOSE, quite a change from your normal , eye popping beauties
Nice suggestions. I am already in contact with some people at Tata Motors and Concorde. Off course, the car would not be left unattended at any workshop or garage. They are all careless.
I was told that Automotive paint has been used, and somehow there seems to be good gloss on the paint, need to check if they have done some clear lacquer.
The first things to do is the inside protection of the Doors, Fenders and under carriage.
Shall pm you.
Old 28th October 2013, 11:30   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Scooby had a memorable meeting with the man himself - and shared some pictures

Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-01.jpg

Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-02.jpg

Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-03.jpg

Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-04.jpg

Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-05.jpg

Saffronart, an Indian online auction, sells '61 Pontiac Laurentian for 13.42 lakhs-06.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 11:42   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Scooby had a memorable meeting with the man himself - and shared some pictures

Attachment 1158896

Attachment 1158897

Attachment 1158898

Attachment 1158899

Attachment 1158900

Attachment 1158901
Wow! That is an opportunity the very few and privileged get!

@Scooby05, you must cherish this masterpiece of Bose Krishnamachari.
Also, what was Mr. Tatas opinion about the artistic version of his own creation?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks