Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2013, 00:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Period Accessories in Vintage and Classic Cars

In the 70s the battery isolator switches, like the one in the pic was a much sought after safety as well as anti theft accessory.
Attached Images

rajeev k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 10:13   #17
BHPian

Does no one remember the cute little three metal curved blade fans?? These were followed by coloured plastic multi blade fans, so common in Fiats and Ambassadors, mounted ahead of the ash trays in the Fiats, on the dash or the inside of the B posts in the Ambassadors ? Especially those used by Babus with white curtains etc etc , before black glasses became the fashion?

what about the horrible reversing horns? And the Godrej door locks, steering/ brake pedal locks, floor gear shift lever locks?

Rajeev,

I still use the battery isolators , safe and prevents the battery from losing charge when not in use for prolonged periods.Now they are expensive and not easily available.

Last edited by Bulldogji : 18th September 2013 at 10:16.
Bulldogji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 10:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Does no one remember the cute little three metal curved blade fans?? These were followed by coloured plastic multi blade fans, so common in Fiats and Ambassadors, mounted ahead of the ash trays in the Fiats, on the dash or the inside of the B posts in the Ambassadors ? Especially those used by Babus with white curtains etc etc , before black glasses became the fashion?

what about the horrible reversing horns? And the Godrej door locks, steering/ brake pedal locks, floor gear shift lever locks?

Rajeev,

I still use the battery isolators , safe and prevents the battery from losing charge when not in use for prolonged periods.Now they are expensive and not easily available.
Bulldogji Sir,
Your above post brings back a lot of memories from that era.
Of course we remember those fans and also the Sanyo fans with the AC duct design (made in Japan) mounted on top of the Fiat ash trays with two brackets on either side. Incidentally, I still have one like that and some three blade ones too, with me for vanity, as a period accessory.

And yes, the battery isolaters are a must for our cars that are not running on a regular basis. Saves the battery from draining. I have them on most of my Fiats and believe me the battery does co-operate even after 4-5 months of non use or hibernation.
Today these switches are extinct but a cheapo Rickshaw battery cut off switch can still be available and adaptable to comply.
President is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 11:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Some nice accessories on FIATs.

4. Period Pioneer system seen in a Premier President!
Attachment 1139841
The pioneer cassette player is a real gem.Never seen this old school one for years now
Old 18th September 2013, 12:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ra-Bambus parcel shelf made in MUNCHEN,germany a much sought after VW accessory.
Attached Thumbnails
Period Accessories in Vintage and Classic Cars-4666703.jpg  

ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 20:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Ra-Bambus parcel shelf made in MUNCHEN,germany a much sought after VW accessory.
You have just given a business proposition to cane furniture manufacturers. Is any such one seeing the above post?
Old 19th September 2013, 17:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
You have just given a business proposition to cane furniture manufacturers. Is any such one seeing the above post?
It could sound like a good proposition,but please note the quality and finesse of the bamboo used in the Original stuff.Also our local bamboo is more rough.the original Ra-Bambus parcel shelf costs USD200 plus.while the repro ones around USD60.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 19:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Tubular fan which could fit into the dash of Beetles
made by VDO/Hella/Braun
Attached Thumbnails
Period Accessories in Vintage and Classic Cars-2286643.jpg  

ajay99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 21:02   #24
P76
BHPian

@Karthik1100, the photos of "extra" Godrej door locks and the audio system very safely enclosed inside a box reminds me of the same in our Mark-4 Amby. The car had extra Godrej locks for the Boot as well. The Audio system was safely 'hidden' inside the Right hand side glove box (the Amby had two Glove boxes) with a lock, and controlled by a master switch.

The floor mats were Coir ones with rubber undersides, and they provided excellent heat and sound insulation. I remember they were marketed by the Kerala Coir Board in Tamilnadu !

Also analog type Kienzle brand Clocks were the sole add on on the dash for Ambys.

The HVAC aspect was taken care of by the small Remi fans and I remember people using the cars on Highways during summer used to tie a mat woven out of a grass called "Vettiver" in Tamil (Wiki's hindi name says "khus"). The mat would be tied to the roof, and dampened frequently with water to cool the roof!
Old 19th September 2013, 21:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P76 View Post
@Karthik1100, the photos of "extra" Godrej door locks and the audio system very safely enclosed inside a box reminds me of the same in our Mark-4 Amby. The car had extra Godrej locks for the Boot as well. The Audio system was safely 'hidden' inside the Right hand side glove box (the Amby had two Glove boxes) with a lock, and controlled by a master switch.

The floor mats were Coir ones with rubber undersides, and they provided excellent heat and sound insulation. I remember they were marketed by the Kerala Coir Board in Tamilnadu !

Also analog type Kienzle brand Clocks were the sole add on on the dash for Ambys.

The HVAC aspect was taken care of by the small Remi fans and I remember people using the cars on Highways during summer used to tie a mat woven out of a grass called "Vettiver" in Tamil (Wiki's hindi name says "khus"). The mat would be tied to the roof, and dampened frequently with water to cool the roof!
Does anyone remember why we put the extra Godrej locks on the ambassador dicky??

It was because after locking the dicky with the factory fitted handle cum lock assembly, a slight twist and pull ensured that the LOCKED dicky would happily, without any fuss, open
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 10:59   #26
P76
BHPian

@Bulldogji, there was one more advantage in using the original door and dicky locks in the Amby - after a fair bit of usage, any key could open any lock in the car, and even some other car !. You could easily walk up to a used Amby with another car's key and open the original door locks without a fuss. No problems with lost keys whatsoever !.

There was always the front door quarter-glass which could be nudged open with a screwdriver. There used to be a lock for that quarter glass also - a small stainless steel fixture like the ones we see in showroom glass shelves.
P76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 20:30   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P76 View Post
@Bulldogji, there was one more advantage in using the original door and dicky locks in the Amby - after a fair bit of usage, any key could open any lock in the car, and even some other car !. You could easily walk up to a used Amby with another car's key and open the original door locks without a fuss. No problems with lost keys whatsoever !.

There was always the front door quarter-glass which could be nudged open with a screwdriver. There used to be a lock for that quarter glass also - a small stainless steel fixture like the ones we see in showroom glass shelves.
Even the ignition switches of older Jeeps from the Jeep and early Mahindra era could be opened using almost any Godrej -like key. I have myself driven many of them using the wrong key.They were of Globe Prestolite make, if I remember correctly.

Sans any doors and only the OE canvas hood canopy (non-Roplas jeeps), wonder how safe these were from thieves?
Old 20th September 2013, 21:26   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Some period accessories:

Period Accessories in Vintage and Classic Cars-dsc06741.jpg

Fog lamps Jaguar 1.5 litre

Period Accessories in Vintage and Classic Cars-dsc06756.jpg

Venetian blind Landmaster

Period Accessories in Vintage and Classic Cars-dsc06754.jpg

Fog lamps Landmaster

Period Accessories in Vintage and Classic Cars-dsc06820.jpg

Fog lamps 1936 Ford V8

Period Accessories in Vintage and Classic Cars-dsc06781.jpg

M.G. fog lamps (whether period?)- the car had come to India in 2011

Period Accessories in Vintage and Classic Cars-dsc08606.jpg

Ford Fairlane - an A.C. but an OE

Period Accessories in Vintage and Classic Cars-dsc08880.jpg

Ambassador Mark II sunshade

Period Accessories in Vintage and Classic Cars-dsc08891.jpg

Ambassador Mark II roof-rack

Period Accessories in Vintage and Classic Cars-dsc09320.jpg

Luggage carrier in a 1920's Plymouth

Period Accessories in Vintage and Classic Cars-dsc09325.jpg

Sunshade in a 1920's Plymouth

(all pictures from my personal albums)

Last edited by GTO : 23rd September 2013 at 17:13. Reason: As requested
Old 20th September 2013, 22:46   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Period accessories on bikes:

Period Accessories in Vintage and Classic Cars-dsc06898.jpg

Side stand on this Norton bike

Period Accessories in Vintage and Classic Cars-dsc06661.jpg

Sidecar with this 1922 Harley Davidson
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2013, 08:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys this is a very intersting thread, it can be of value to everyone only if we post pictures of accessories along with information about manufaturer if known and other historically relevant data. Otherwise there is a danger that it may turn into just another thread about pictures of classic cars in india.

Last edited by the mole : 21st September 2013 at 08:45.
the mole is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks