Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2013, 20:18   #16
BHPian

Re: The Heritage Transport Museum - Gurgaon

Just heard this from a friend. Is it opening tomorrow? Dying to finally go see the cars.
Old 7th December 2013, 14:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Just heard this from a friend. Is it opening tomorrow? Dying to finally go see the cars.
It is unfortunate that despite requests for the museum address , no one has come forward to guide us on how to locate it.

Why?

Unless of course entry is only by invitation!
Old 7th December 2013, 15:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
It is unfortunate that despite requests for the museum address , no one has come forward to guide us on how to locate it. .....................Why?
Maybe because everyone thought that someone else will do it. Here you go...

Delhi is the nearest airport.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
The Heritage Transport Museum - Gurgaon-museum1.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 18:26   #19
BHPian

Yup today was the inauguration. A friend of mine went.It is in Manesar. She shared some pictures on instagram, and sent this to me on bbm. The yellow Plymouth had its roof down today! (is it a plymouth?)

The Heritage Transport Museum - Gurgaon-img_20131207_184305.jpg

Last edited by promit : 7th December 2013 at 18:43. Reason: Adding picture
promit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 11:55   #20
BHPian

I went for the inauguration on Saturday. Absolutely fascinating place!! Hats off to the Tarun Thakral and his team who set it up. And it far transcends other Automobile museums I have seen overseas which are simply large rooms with a lot of nice cars - The Heritage Transport Museum is truly an experience not to be missed by any Vintage/ Classic enthusiast.

The website has gone live today - http://www.heritagetransportmuseum.org/index.php
Old 9th December 2013, 15:56   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Some press coverage of the inauguration

The Heritage Transport Museum - Gurgaon-2.jpg

The Heritage Transport Museum - Gurgaon-01.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 16:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

I received some photos taken on the inauguration of the Heritage Transport Museum.

The Heritage Transport Museum - Gurgaon-heritage-museum-gurgaon-01.jpg

The exterior of the building

The Heritage Transport Museum - Gurgaon-heritage-museum-gurgaon-02.jpg

There are some interesting cars, like these Butterfly Chevy’s, 1959 and 1950. One can rarely see them in pairs, recently we saw them on the Lavasa run

The Heritage Transport Museum - Gurgaon-heritage-museum-gurgaon-03.jpg

There is a large collection of photos, very much of my interest

The Heritage Transport Museum - Gurgaon-heritage-museum-gurgaon-04.jpg

Enamel signboards, most of the automotive related are in plenty

The Heritage Transport Museum - Gurgaon-heritage-museum-gurgaon-05.jpg

A carriage. Different type of modes of transport are covered

The Heritage Transport Museum - Gurgaon-heritage-museum-gurgaon-06.jpg

Bollywood is also covered, including lobby cards

The Heritage Transport Museum - Gurgaon-heritage-museum-gurgaon-07.jpg

The inauguration in progress

The Heritage Transport Museum - Gurgaon-heritage-museum-gurgaon-08.jpg

Attendance at the inauguration was good, and so was the food as I was given to understand.

The Heritage Transport Museum - Gurgaon-heritage-museum-gurgaon-09.jpg

Plenty of memorabilia on display

The Heritage Transport Museum - Gurgaon-heritage-museum-gurgaon-10.jpg

Automotive components on display, the museum displays some innards of automotive sub assembly’s

The Museum will keep rotating its exhibits, there is a huge reserve collection, too many items to be displayed. This would make periodic visits worth ones while.

The Museum covers cars, aviation, rail, two wheels, nostalgic vehicles from the 1960.s, 1970’s, therefore there are two generations which will see streets scenes in terms of vehicles plying on our roads in that era. There is also a large India related motoring stock, a Badal, Fiats, Amby’s, etc.

I wish and hope that this museum will expand into something still bigger

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 16th December 2013 at 16:27.
harit is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 14:25   #23
BHPian

Harit,

Your collection being no less , you should find out how the Delhi guys get government funds and build a museum in or around Bombay.

Your passion for the same being no less than Tarun, I am certain if you set your mind to it , you can make it happen.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 23:08   #24
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit,

Your collection being no less , you should find out how the Delhi guys get government funds and build a museum in or around Bombay.

Your passion for the same being no less than Tarun, I am certain if you set your mind to it , you can make it happen.
If someone can throw more light on the modalities of how it all came about ie government support, if any then perhaps many of our collectors around the country can use this to create more museums to display their fab collections
Old 18th December 2013, 18:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit,....you should find out how the Delhi guys get government funds and build a museum in or around Bombay........
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
...how it all came about ie government support, if any then perhaps many of our collectors around the country can use this to create more museums to display their fab collections
Well, one could start and visit a website of ministries and check. I think that this has something to do with culture.

Thanks Bulldogji, but my collection is miniscule, not enough for a museum. And there is one already in the pipeline near Alibag, I am confused whether the government gave land to WIAA or VCCCI, and whether it is for a truck driving school or a museum, sometime we will come to know. At one time the VCCCI website talked about its museum being planned, now they only talk about Pranlal's Museum. BTW, I did not see a souvenir shop there. In and around Mumbai lands once granted are being taken back, I can't risk that, and also I don't want to compete with the club. They are bound to outshine my collection.

Anyway, it is no joke to replicate what Tarun has done, amass a huge collection, curate it, get things in place, it is frankly a big headache. I can't manage my collection of paper work at home, will be needing staff if it is to be done and sorted properly.

The Museum also has a site, http://heritagetransportmuseum.org/ . Please do visit, there are more photos to be seen, and more will be uploaded.

By chance I visited http://www.vccci.com/heritage-transport-museum and saw that here the inaugration is mentioned as an upcoming event, the heritage transport museum was not aware that they had made it to this great web site. Possibly some of the events being held are mentioned even where VCCCI is not involved. Ingenius, na?

Cheers harit
Old 18th December 2013, 21:56   #26
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Without a doubt what Tarun has achieved is monumental. We are just hoping other collectors get inspired by his achievement and do the same for their collections elsewhere in India.
Old 24th December 2013, 16:42   #27
BHPian

I'm planning to visit the Heritage Transport Museum tomorrow (25/12) afternoon. Anyone interested in joining in?
Old 24th December 2013, 22:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
I'm planning to visit the Heritage Transport Museum tomorrow (25/12) afternoon. Anyone interested in joining in?
https://www.facebook.com/events/2674...y_type=regular
Old 25th December 2013, 11:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
And there is one already in the pipeline near Alibag, I am confused whether the government gave land to WIAA or VCCCI, and whether it is for a truck driving school or a museum, sometime we will come to know.

Cheers harit
VCCCI membership remains a mystery, WIAA, does not. I and members of my family are life members, we hold identity cards to the effect, BUT, for the last several years, no notice for the AGM, elections, etc has ever reached us.

On inquiry, one is told that the AGM is over. This now happens every year so I have just stopped bothering.

SO, we will never know what land is given to whom and for what. Pity, as we could have had a lovely museum around Bombay.
Old 25th December 2013, 16:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VCCCI membership remains a mystery, WIAA, does not. I and members of my family are life members, we hold identity cards to the effect, BUT, for the last several years, no notice for the AGM, elections, etc has ever reached us. On inquiry, one is told that the AGM is over. This now happens every year so I have just stopped bothering. SO, we will never know what land is given to whom and for what. Pity, as we could have had a lovely museum around Bombay.
Why cant like minded people get together and put up something, we have some of the best minds and we surely do not lack in enthusiasm. A topic worth discussing on one of our several road trips.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks