Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2009, 15:33   #2506
BHPian

Hi Harit,
The perceived barb is due to a lack of clarity in my sentence. It was only an endorsement of EdselRulez observation that the original post had no place in this thread. What I meant was that the first valid criticism could have been wrong location of post. You will note that I end with "among others", implying that all other criticiques of that post were equally valid.Absolutely no offence intended there and I hope, none taken.
At no point do I question the depth of knowledge of all those who have noted errors in the original post, just felt that the guy who put up what he thought was an insight to a private collection, would feel a little small with everyone taking off on him at once.
As for me, it is twenty years since I went looking for cars and I am sure most of you will be familiar with the few I can remember, but here goes anyway.
Packard at Khushroo Baug Bombay, later seen at Saat rasta.
Rolls and Bentley somewhere near Teen Batti together for sale at 18 lakhs.
Alfa Romeo Sprint Junior with dealer at Walkeshwar.
Alfa Romeo 1900 lhd ex Jamnagar? at Chor Bazar,scrap at 10,000.
XK140 dhc at Matunga also ex Jamnagar?.
Ansaldo at Gowalia Tank garage.
Hotchkiss, now Bhogilal, at Navy Nagar then offered to me at 35000.
Austin Healey and Adler, Pune with Noshir Nagarwalla both offered to me in exchange for a new 118ne.
Mercedes Ponton and Karmann Ghia coupe, Dalal, Nepean Sea Road,65k and 45k respectively.
The Petit Lane Lancia which you have written extensively about.
Bugatti with Stag people, dismantled, actually spoke to them for purchase, but realised it was beyond my means.
2 Xk 120's near French Bridge, one black , one white,shipping co.owned, offered by mechanic at 2.5lakhs each.Also a Mercedes sl230 pagoda? same location.
Huthee Singh Merc before it went to N.D.
Mercedes 170v dhc at Wellington Mews.
Mercedes ditto at Nepean Sea Road, Petit Hall?
Lanchester at Pune, Koregaon Park, also Lancia Zagato coupe with the same person.
Rolls at Opera House undergoing restoration.
MG 30's (Mandody) south of pune,later with Vakil, Pune.
Adler convertible body shell with part engine,Old Bombay Pune Road, just entering Pune.
Jaguar dhc Mark V Ritz Hotel Pune.
Alfa Romeo 8c doctor's coupe,Dady Mumbai lying at Altamount Road missing engine, gearbox present, later Choksi.
Parsi-owned Riley saloon at Band Stand advertised for sale on Willingdon Club notice board.(That gent was kind enough to tell me about the Dalal cars mentioned above)
Most of the cars above had already moved on in the period that I saw them and I doubt if any of them are sitting around still.
That's about all I can recall off-hand,does not include my biggest regret, which is not travelling to Aundh? south of Pune, to locate an Xk120 I was reliably informed to be lying there.Would give anything to be able to turn back the clock and make that trip today.Believe it went to Metro people Pune, since sold on.In an earlier post I had requested help in finding an XK at an affordable price if such a thing exists,repeating here, at the risk of being laughed at.

With kind regards to all, particularly you, Harit.
Old 19th November 2009, 17:19   #2507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
Hi Harit,
The perceived barb is due to a lack of clarity in my sentence.
As for me, it is twenty years since I went looking for carsand I am sure most of you will be familiar with the few I can remember, but here goes anyway..........

Most of the cars above had already moved on (see below) in the period that I saw them and I doubt if any of them are sitting around still.
That's about all I can recall off-hand,does not include my biggest regret, which is not travelling to Aundh? south of Pune, to locate an Xk120 I was reliably informed to be lying there.Would give anything to be able to turn back the clock and make that trip today. Believe it went to Metro people Pune, since sold on. In an earlier post I had requested help in finding an XK at an affordable price if such a thing exists, repeating here, at the risk of being laughed at.

With kind regards to all, particularly you, Harit.
I am glad that we have started a discussion, lets give real info. The status of the cars mentioned by youis below, to the best of my knowledge.
We all wish for "affordable" cars, nothing to laugh about. Maybe one day when imports are allowed, who knows?

Packard at Khushroo Baug Bombay, later seen at Saat rasta. Today with Titus
Rolls and Bentley somewhere near Teen Batti together for sale at 18 lakhs. Rolls unsold, now not for sale, Bentley moved on to ND?
Alfa Romeo Sprint Junior with dealer at Walkeshwar. Now Bangalore
Alfa Romeo 1900 lhd ex Jamnagar? at Chor Bazar,scrap at 10,000. Green colour, BML registered, engine opened up, scrapped. I got some wheel nuts from that.
XK140 dhc at Matunga also ex Jamnagar?. White colour, books missing, later Delhi 'DNB' registered, seen at Choksi's, now believed abroad
Ansaldo at Gowalia Tank garage. Now lying with our Kasli, ownership a BIG question.
Hotchkiss, now Bhogilal, at Navy Nagar then offered to me at 35000.
Austin Healey and Adler, Pune with Noshir Nagarwalla both offered to me in exchange for a new 118ne. This Adler now with Samir Kadam? And Healey still in Pune, not the Hathee Singh car!
Mercedes Ponton and Karmann Ghia coupe, Dalal, Nepean Sea Road,65k and 45k respectively. This I do not remember
The Petit Lane Lancia which you have written extensively about.
Bugatti with Stag people, dismantled, actually spoke to them for purchase, but realised it was beyond my means. Now with Choudhurie, Delhi
2 Xk 120's near French Bridge, one black , one white,shipping co.owned, offered by mechanic at 2.5lakhs each. Also a Mercedes sl230 pagoda? same location. These were Vohra's cars, for some time a PIII was also there. One Jag back with Sanghi, one lying with Kasli for restoration, still owned by a Vohra, Pagoda restored in red and running in Juhu, owned by another Vohra.
Huthee Singh Merc before it went to N.D. I used to see it every day from my bedroom window daily when she was lying in Jupiter, now with Cama
Mercedes 170v dhc at Wellington Mews. Are you sure? It may have been Brooklands Garage on Hughes road. If yes, then she is in Bangalore. Was a 4 door converible, not a roadster.
Mercedes ditto at Nepean Sea Road, Petit Hall? Are you sure? Not the roadster outside the antique shop next to Pastry Palace?
Lanchester at Pune, Koregaon Park, also Lancia Zagato coupe with the same person. Lanchester gone to USA via New Zealand. Lancia in Chennai?
Rolls at Opera House undergoing restoration. Restored, now in Nagpur
Adler convertible body shell with part engine,Old Bombay Pune Road, just entering Pune. I went to buy, had just been scrapped
Jaguar dhc Mark V Ritz Hotel Pune. Now in Jaipur
Alfa Romeo 8c doctor's coupe,Dady Mumbai lying at Altamount Road missing engine, gearbox present, later Choksi. Now Sanghi, Indore, still no engine
Parsi-owned Riley saloon at Band Stand advertised for sale on Willingdon Club notice board.(That gent was kind enough to tell me about the Dalal cars mentioned above) Gone, only know that tin work was done by my garage at Gwalior Tank, where all wood and roof mesh was removed and replaced with tin. That was there for a long time, and very iconic. Do you remember opposite band stand there was a Chrysler tourer with a sardar, now with Pranlal. And at the road opposite leading to Eros cinema, a MG TC and a 1.5 Litre Jag belonging to Sood.

BTW, Aundh car went from Metro to Jaipur.

Let's catch up, there are many we have missed, who knows what we will come up with.

Last edited by harit : 19th November 2009 at 17:26.
Old 19th November 2009, 20:37   #2508
BHPian

Hi again Harit,
Pity about the wheel nuts on the Alfa, I had closed for 10,000 with the scrapper, wheels were already without knock-offs car was on blocks,the engine head , incomplete was in the boot,some of the reasons why I did not pick up the car apart from the fact there were no papers and had no place to store it , especially as
a nonrolling chassis.
The Nagarwalla Healey, is I believe now in Bangalore.
Heard the same about the Choksi XK having been sold on to Delhi and then abroad, but was not sure.
About 170v in Wellington Mews,absolutely sure about location, but unsure of body type now.
170v in basement park of Petit Hall or maybe Marble Arch , dont know about Pastry Palace car.
Merc ponton and Karmann were also at Nepean Sea Road sold, I heard to mill owner S-----t R-----l.Not 100% sure of this.
MG TC Mr.Sood was a TA,A F S Talyarkhan car, now with me. Can ask Mr. Sood where the Jag went sometime.
Remembered
Mark2 Jag on Altamount Road.
Also ad guy bought a Mk2 from AI pilot who also sold a Spitfire.
Was offered a Sunbeam fintail conv. lying with a Mr.Rashid for 30k(Bandra).
Studebaker two door hardtop lying outside Gowalia Tank maidan.
Mark 7 Jag fancy price/not interested in selling Parel workshop.
Allard Black convertible seen only once driven near Kennedy bridge.WOW!
By the way,in your educated opinion do you think I have a hope in hell of ever being able to source an Xk today at anywhere near a reasonable price?
Regards.
911987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2009, 22:55   #2509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi again Harit,
Pity about the wheel nuts on the Alfa, I had closed for 10,000 with the scrapper, wheels were already without knock-offs car was on blocks,the engine head , incomplete was in the boot,some of the reasons why I did not pick up the car apart from the fact there were no papers and had no place to store it , especially as a nonrolling chassis. I wish I had picked it up. It had come from Dadar circle.
The Nagarwalla Healey, is I believe now in Bangalore.
Heard the same about the Choksi XK having been sold on to Delhi and then abroad, but was not sure.
About 170v in Wellington Mews,absolutely sure about location, but unsure of body type now. What was the colour?
170v in basement park of Petit Hall or maybe Marble Arch , dont know about Pastry Palace car. Are you sure Petit Hall and not Pleasant Palace? There was a white one there.
Merc ponton and Karmann were also at Nepean Sea Road sold, I heard to mill owner S-----t R-----l.Not 100% sure of this.
MG TC Mr.Sood was a TA,A F S Talyarkhan car, now with me. Can ask Mr. Sood where the Jag went sometime. Sood had 2 MG's, were being done in Jyoti Studio compound. And yes, one was the AFST's car from CCI. I went to meet AFST and was chased away by him. Second was a TC.
Remembered
Mark2 Jag on Altamount Road. Silver?
Also ad guy bought a Mk2 from AI pilot who also sold a Spitfire. Dark Green!! He is my neighbour. One Spitfire was MRA registered, in same building, but belonged to a lady
Was offered a Sunbeam fintail conv. lying with a Mr.Rashid for 30k(Bandra).
Studebaker two door hardtop lying outside Gowalia Tank maidan. Colour? Madan Mohan's 2 door was also lying around. Which one are you referring to?
Mark 7 Jag fancy price/not interested in selling Parel workshop.
Allard Black convertible seen only once driven near Kennedy bridge.WOW! I have been looking for this car, cannot find, feel it has left the country. She had a mechanical problem. Did you see her being driven, or standing with the bonnet up?
By the way, in your educated opinion do you think I have a hope in hell of ever being able to source an Xk today at anywhere near a reasonable price? There is a very long "q", but you never know how luck will favour you.
Regards.
Hi 911097,
Comments in bold.
Suggest we now catch up and impress each other.. Game?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 19th November 2009 at 22:57.
Old 20th November 2009, 00:42   #2510
Senior - BHPian

. Wow ! Harit and 911987 - your interaction has left me spellbound - Two Pundits at work, with an enthralled audience to boot !!

Keep it up guys - just goes to show that a patch up after a li'l fight, makes friendships stronger.

More on the cars please, we're hungry .
Old 20th November 2009, 06:23   #2511
BHPian

Hi Harit,
Been living in Bangalore for the last ten years, but do visit Bombay quite often. Happy to meet on one of my trips or alternatively you could let me know if you are going to be in Bangalore.
@Superselect, thanks for the encouragement, as for the pundit remark, I dropped out of vintage school while Harit is a triple graduate. My data bank is limited by my memory, while Harit's as we all know, is virtually inexhaustible.
However,will definitely continue to post the few more cars I recall from time to time.
Re the previous post:-
The Alfa and Choksi XK140 Jag as far as I knew were both Ex jamnagar cars held against bills due, by a C.A., no papers,the Alfa was 1959 two tone green/white if I recall correctly.
170v -Could be Pleasant Palace,sorry, vague on colour.
Wellington Mews car may have been unpainted only primer.
MG-Jyoti Studio at Bombay Central?Because that's where I picked up the TA from. Sood had already sold the TC by then.
Mk2 was white I think with wire wheels.
Silver one was mine , Merc 190d diesel courtesy previous owner sadly R.I.P., (the car not the previous owner).
Spitfire at Altamount Road was pale blue parsi lady owned.
No idea about whose car the Studebaker was.
Couple of old memories just surfaced-
Two identical two-tone Thunderbirds seen being washed at Chhagam Mitha Pump Mahalaxmi.
Allard was being driven , I think by mechanic, may have just come out of Swadi Garage or the studio next door where there were also some garages.
Hupmobile seen off Linking Road, had been brought from somewhere near Shirdi?
Spitfire, not for sale then, lying in abungalow compound parallel to Linking Road.
70's? Rolls(in building) and Spitfire(on road) both somewhere behind Strand Cinema.
One possibly interesting flash,IPS officer named Chaturvedi,saw my car outside the house, was at the Polyclinic next door,met me, gave me a list of cars in the north, a list he had compiled sending his officers out all over scouting for finds, before anyone asks, no idea what happened to the list. He was the guy who arrested Phoolan Devi, read that he was awol and suspended from duty later,owned a Bentley himself.
That's it for now.
Bye.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th November 2009 at 20:54. Reason: Chaudhari corrected to Chaturvedi as per your follow up post.
Old 20th November 2009, 09:55   #2512
BHPian

Barn-find in Bangalore!

Good morning fellow BHP-ians! Here's something to brighten up your day! I went out hunting for some classics this morning, got a lead that brought me to this:
Hope you like it!
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20112009001.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20112009004.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20112009005.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20112009003.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20112009.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20112009002.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20112009006.jpg  

Old 20th November 2009, 10:04   #2513
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats quite a list - and again in the wrong thread. But we shall continue till we find a better place

Quote:
Packard at Khushroo Baug Bombay, later seen at Saat rasta.

Ansaldo at Gowalia Tank garage.

Austin Healey and Adler, Pune with Noshir Nagarwalla both offered to me in exchange for a new 118ne.

Jaguar dhc Mark V Ritz Hotel Pune.

That's about all I can recall off-hand,does not include my biggest regret, which is not travelling to Aundh? south of Pune, to locate an Xk120 I was reliably informed to be lying there.Would give anything to be able to turn back the clock and make that trip today.Believe it went to Metro people Pune, since sold on.

Gents, which is this Khushroo Baug Packard now with Titus? Do we have pics?

What exactly is an Ansaldo, forgive my ignorance.

The Austin Healey of Nagarwalla (MHU 5858) was a real beaut, superb car. She went to Bhandari in Pune for a while, and I last saw her in Hyderabad 2 years back. The Adler (BMW 5665) was restored in Pune and now with Sameer Kadam.

Vakil had/has a very pretty MG YT (?), the kind with disc wheels, BYF 7618 regd. The Mark V Jag from Ritz also went to him, he restored it, and it then went on to Jaipur. MYV 5343 regd, it incidentally belonged to my uncle many years ago in Bangalore.
Old 20th November 2009, 10:18   #2514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgchaudhuri View Post
Good morning fellow BHP-ians! Here's something to brighten up your day! I went out hunting for some classics this morning, got a lead that brought me to this:
Looks like an abandoned resto project. Any more info. on this car? The number somehow seems familiar to me...this is incidentally the kind of beetle I'd like to have- pre '66. The 1600 badge must be an add-on though; what say beetle gurus?
Old 20th November 2009, 10:25   #2515
BHPian

The fellow in the work shop said that it belonged to a customer, sadly my deficiency in Kannada limited the conversation to that. Though he said I could meet the owner later at ten showing his ten fingers! Let's hope things work out!
Old 20th November 2009, 10:31   #2516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
. Wow ! Harit and 911987 - just goes to show that a patch up after a li'l fight, makes friendships stronger.
What li'l fight? We had a DISCUSSION!!! with opinions!!!!!

Quote:
Hi Harit,
Been living in Bangalore for the last ten years, but do visit Bombay quite often. Happy to meet on one of my trips or alternatively you could let me know if you are going to be in Bangalore.
However,will definitely continue to post the few more cars I recall from time to time.
Re the previous post:-
The Alfa and Choksi XK140 Jag as far as I knew were both Ex jamnagar cars YES held against bills due, by a C.A.or maybe lawyer?, no papers,the Alfa was 1959 two tone green/white if I recall correctly. My memory says green, and probably metallic
170v -Could be Pleasant Palace,sorry, vague on colour.
Wellington Mews car may have been unpainted only primer.
MG-Jyoti Studio at Bombay Central? No Nana Chowk next to Swadi Because that's where I picked up the TA from. Sood had already sold the TC by then.
Mk2 was white I think with wire wheels. No, silver with wire wheels, in the hands of a gent from your comunity
Silver one was mine , Merc 190d diesel courtesy previous owner sadly R.I.P., (the car not the previous owner). About this I reserve comments!!!
Spitfire at Altamount Road was pale blue parsi lady owned, before that crimson, and lying in the same building where Apro Rehan stays
No idea about whose car the Studebaker was.
Couple of old memories just surfaced-
Two identical two-tone Thunderbirds seen being washed at Chhagam Mitha Pump Mahalaxmi. One gone to Indore, the other in Chennai
Allard was being driven , I think by mechanic, may have just come out of Swadi Garage or the studio next door where there were also some garages. Correct, and it was supposed to belong to the same guy who also had the Caddy convertible now with Kasli. That owner is sadly no more, Mr. Sippy. I even went to his house, but could not trace.
Hupmobile seen off Linking Road, had been brought from somewhere near Shirdi? That is one of the cars now involved under the controversial "tainted collector" issues. You can see pictures in a thread in gearhead.
Spitfire, not for sale then, lying in abungalow compound parallel to Linking Road.
70's? Rolls(in building) and Spitfire(on road) both somewhere behind Strand Cinema.
One possibly interesting flash,IPS officer named Chaturvedi, saw my car outside the house, was at the Polyclinic next door, met me, gave me a list of cars in the north, a list he had compiled sending his officers out all over scouting for finds, before anyone asks, no idea what happened to the list. He was the guy who arrested Phoolan Devi, read that he was awol and suspended from duty later,owned a Bentley himself. Now with another collector in Mumbai
That's it for now.
Bye.
Now I got who you are. Still focused on swimming?
BTW, I shifted to just one lane away from yours, do contact when you are in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thats quite a list - and again in the wrong thread. But we shall continue till we find a better place

Gents, which is this Khushroo Baug Packard now with Titus? Do we have pics? Somewhere surely pics will be available. Sedan, pre 1940, 6 cylinder, once red, another time blue, now cannot make out

What exactly is an Ansaldo, forgive my ignorance. Shall try to forgive. It is an Italian car, pre 1930, parsi owned, tourer, in bad shape, lying with Kasli, via ND.

The Austin Healey of Nagarwalla (MHU 5858) was a real beaut, superb car. She went to Bhandari in Pune for a while, and I last saw her in Hyderabad 2 years back. The Adler (BMW 5665) was restored in Pune and now with Sameer Kadam.

Vakil had/has a very pretty MG YT (?), the kind with disc wheels, BYF 7618 regd. The Mark V Jag from Ritz also went to him, he restored it, and it then went on to Jaipur. MYV 5343 regd, it incidentally belonged to my uncle many years ago in Bangalore.

Last edited by harit : 20th November 2009 at 10:38.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:14   #2517
BHPian

Fiat find in Bangalore (BSK-III)

Here's a fiat that I stumbled upon! I couldn't see much of the car interior as the entire car was stuffed with cushions! The under carriage was however very rusted! The car is lying in a Bus coach repairing workshop here in Banshankhari! I have the fellows number if anyone wants it! Have a look!

P.S: I have been warned that some of our distinguished BHP-ians who love FIATs will "Decend like a Hawk" as soon as I upload these pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20112009008.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20112009007.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20112009009.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20112009011.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20112009010.jpg  

Old 20th November 2009, 11:28   #2518
Distinguished - BHPian

Harit 911987 and others - lets continue this fascinating discussion on the lost and found cars here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-classics.html

Thanks,
Karl
Old 20th November 2009, 11:35   #2519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgchaudhuri View Post
P.S: I have been warned that some of our distinguished BHP-ians who love FIATs will "Decend like a Hawk" as soon as I upload these pictures!
, that's a clean looking car, would die for those lovely complete trims. Please PM me the complete Info. If the car is not goona be moving I make my shopping list complete for the select parts.

@ Arun : can we go to that place tomorrow morning.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:48   #2520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
@ Arun : can we go to that place tomorrow morning.
Lets go today itself !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks