Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2009, 12:42   #46
Senior - BHPian

67bug this guy is a Citibank guy right and the mini is yellow he played golf with my dad once but his car was newer like 2000 something model if I recall! He got it on TR.
Old 13th August 2009, 12:44   #47
BHPian

I think its better to get hold of any Importing agent and get clear Information....

Any Mumbaikars take initiative on this please........Because I think used cars can only be imported via Mumbai Port.

cheers
Old 13th August 2009, 13:38   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
67bug this guy is a Citibank guy right and the mini is yellow he played golf with my dad once but his car was newer like 2000 something model if I recall! He got it on TR.
Irrespective, but it was most certainly way beyond 3 years model is the point I was trying to make.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:50   #49
Senior - BHPian

Spoke to an expert and he clears cars regularly and he gave me the follwoing info:

1) Car must be RHD
2) Car must be owned with title in the name of person coming on TR for 13 months minimum
3) Car can be anything from early 80's to current model but can't be a vinatge so he said 1981 to now any year.

Duty:

1) Must get a letter from manufacturer stating ex factory price in the year of sale.
2) Maximum 70% depreciation on the above ex factory price (not current market rate) by which customs will arrive at current value.
3) 20% (freight & insurance) flat of the above current value + current value (total converted to Rs) X 168% (rate of duty) = amont of duty payable.
4) Local clearing & fwd charge min Rs. 1 lacs

So if a car costed £35,000 in 1989 and you are bringing it in on TR the computation is as follows:

£35000 X 70% = £24500 - £35000 = £10,500 ( current value) + 20% = £12,600
Now £12600 X Rs. 78 = Rs. 9,82,800 X 168% duty = Rs. 16,5110.4/-

The guy said no one brings in cars anymore as the above example shows that it is completely crazy.

Last edited by canonball : 13th August 2009 at 15:56.
Old 13th August 2009, 16:55   #50
BHPian

@ Canonball.....

That's clear enough

Thanks for taking the initiative.

cheers
Old 13th August 2009, 18:04   #51
BHPian

Quote:

The guy said no one brings in cars anymore as the above example shows that it is completely crazy.
Well it depends how you look at it. BecauseI have a 2001 Jaguar S-Type and I'll most probably be moving to India in a year or so. It will be pointless to sell it off here because I will get a ridiculous value, where as it makes more sense to import to India where I can continue to use it.

P.S. - Canonball, I sent you a PM, did you receive it?
Old 13th August 2009, 21:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

no PM in my teambhp inbox unless you sent me an email which i will check tommorrow.
Incidently I lived in HK on Seymore road - midlevels, you will still need to get the jag ex factory list price of 01 or worse still the HK exshowroom price if the customs does not accept UK. We both know HK prices in 01 were loaded with 65% duty!

Even for the UK eg I quoted above some of those 35k cars are not worth anything today but shelling out 16+ lacs simply does not make sense. By the way there are a few S types available here. A friend just bought one for less than 16L!

Last edited by canonball : 13th August 2009 at 21:55.
Old 14th August 2009, 16:07   #53
Senior - BHPian

I am pretty sure that even under TR the car should not be older than 3 years. Because someone did get an older car and is facing problems. There is a matter of levying penalty the quantum of which is apparently not defined.
Instead of us guessing, why not try to ask someone who has bought in a car recently?
Old 14th August 2009, 16:14   #54
BHPian

Quote:
no PM in my teambhp inbox unless you sent me an email which i will check tommorrow.
Incidently I lived in HK on Seymore road - midlevels, you will still need to get the jag ex factory list price of 01 or worse still the HK exshowroom price if the customs does not accept UK. We both know HK prices in 01 were loaded with 65% duty!

Even for the UK eg I quoted above some of those 35k cars are not worth anything today but shelling out 16+ lacs simply does not make sense. By the way there are a few S types available here. A friend just bought one for less than 16L!
Are you serious? Is it a 2001 or newer Jaguar S-Type?

If so then thats a real deal. How do you get hold of such cars? I remember you telling me you are a car dealer, so I'm guessing you're able to do this?
Old 14th August 2009, 16:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Krazyking you are confusing me with someone else, when did i tell you that I am car dealer! Come to think of it I have never spoken/interacted with you ever before. I wish I was a dealer now as I am looking for a car urgently! Anyway saw an ad for a black S type and a friend just got a silver car which I think is a 2001/02 anyway I suggest you start some intence surfing and get the word out to local dealer you will find one.

Harit the guy did mention that there were some small small regulations to be satisfied but when I asked him car is older than 3 year he said it can be brought in legally next he asked me which year was the car I said 1989 he said that is fine as long as it is not vintage. The guy is Thakkar his first name & number is on my desk I can give it you later. He is known to be a kida in customs clearance for cars. What year mfg is the stuck car you are talking about harit?

Last edited by canonball : 14th August 2009 at 16:51.
Old 14th August 2009, 17:01   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Krazyking you are confusing me with someone else, when did i tell you that I am car dealer! Come to think of it I have never spoken/interacted with you ever before. I wish I was a dealer now as I am looking for a car urgently! Anyway saw an ad for a black S type and a friend just got a silver car which I think is a 2001/02 anyway I suggest you start some intence surfing and get the word out to local dealer you will find one.
Oh I'm really sorry, I did confuse you with someone else.

If you don't mind, where did you see the ad for a Black S-Type? How should I get the word out to local dealers? I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but I've never bought an imported car in India, so I don't know how it works.
Old 14th August 2009, 17:17   #57
Senior - BHPian

Sure thing there is a Kersi Shroff who had advertised it some weeks ago with pics just google S type jag in Mumbai for sale or something The guy is a bit old school if you ask me he tries to play hard to get and tends to overprice based on my brush with him. Some relaible sources state that he is a bit of a gasspot and cannot be entirely trusted but he does have leads on old cars. Just send him an email and see the response. If you PM me your email I will put you onto a reliable guy who may find the same car as it will be floated with more than one dealer. Don't bother importing unless she is unique and rare you will CRY I did not as well when I came on TR from HK. There are some 12 odd S Types in India and many with dealers in Delhi as well. Who knows by the time you return on TR my friend may look to sell his, she looks really clean I will charge you commission though since you called me a dealer

Last edited by canonball : 14th August 2009 at 17:19.
Old 14th August 2009, 17:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

Here you go my frnd best of luck:

Buy Used Jaguar S -Type S TYPE 8 CYL in Mumbai | CarTradeIndia.com

Since it is 8 cyl and not 6 she may be a bit more expensive but she is older a 99 model so price may be less than 16 L

Last edited by canonball : 14th August 2009 at 17:35.
Old 14th August 2009, 23:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Sure thing there is a Kersi Shroff who had advertised it some weeks ago with pics just google S type jag in Mumbai for sale or something The guy is a bit old school if you ask me he tries to play hard to get and tends to overprice based on my brush with him. Some relaible sources state that he is a bit of a gasspot and cannot be entirely trusted but he does have leads on old cars. Just send him an email and see the response. If you PM me your email I will put you onto a reliable guy who may find the same car as it will be floated with more than one dealer. Don't bother importing unless she is unique and rare you will CRY I did not as well when I came on TR from HK. There are some 12 odd S Types in India and many with dealers in Delhi as well. Who knows by the time you return on TR my friend may look to sell his, she looks really clean I will charge you commission though since you called me a dealer
Wow 12+ Jaguar S-Type's in India? I didn't know there were that many. If these beauties are so cheap then why doesn't anyone buy them? In my opinion they look amazing according to their Date of Manufacture. According to me it looks better than some of the 7-Series and S-Classes, and definetely kicks the Japanese cars butt. Is it because of the servicing and spare parts?
Old 15th August 2009, 00:31   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
Wow 12+ Jaguar S-Type's in India? I didn't know there were that many. If these beauties are so cheap then why doesn't anyone buy them? In my opinion they look amazing according to their Date of Manufacture. According to me it looks better than some of the 7-Series and S-Classes, and definetely kicks the Japanese cars butt. Is it because of the servicing and spare parts?
Indeed, when you have a Jag there must be a service station not very far away. Regular maintainance is a requisite to owning a Jag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks