Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2007, 13:01   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
SUREN, if you still interested? dont lose heart theres one up for grabs on ebay..HILLMAN MINX SALOON 1951 BICOLOUR FULLY RESTORED PETROL, take a look, car is in Goa, with Mumbai plates..
You know Transam, the car is on ebay and the owners started the bid amount with Rs. 500/- and his Buy it now price is Rs. 3,50,000/- which is VERY high IMO. If you see the other three cars that he has put up for sale there you'd know that the car is not worth what he is asking for.

Suren, for a simpler restoration, try going for early Fiats, Amby's, Standard Heralds, etc.
Old 17th July 2007, 13:04   #17
BHPian

@ Transam: I would like to second moralfibre's opinion on this. IMHO I guess the price is very high. If you read the 1st post on this thread you would realise that I had missed a 1954 model MINX Mk VII (only I had wrongly given the model no.) for Rs.30,000/-. Was in a good original condition too.

However Transam I am indebted to you for pointing this ad to me and would request you please to do so whenever a classic catches your eye.

Last edited by suren181 : 17th July 2007 at 13:05.
Old 17th July 2007, 13:07   #18
BHPian

moral fibre & suren, yes i was keen another vehicle on ebay hence was visiting it regiularly, i did notice that he started at 500 and now am shocked to read here that its 3.5lacs, my bad..i did read how suren missed out his first option @ 30k..
Old 17th July 2007, 13:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Suren, for a simpler restoration, try going for early Fiats, Amby's, Standard Heralds, etc.
Will definitely start looking out as per your suggestion and yes simpler is what is pertinent for me for this would be a first project.
Old 17th July 2007, 14:29   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello to you all - there was this Standard 10 lying in a pitiable non-running condition in Nasik last year. I got the owner's mobile number but I did not buy it as I did not have any place to keep it in Nasik once I bought it as I used to stay in Mumbai. Now I have shifted my stay to Nasik and have a place for parking 3 cars (one shuttered garage - my 1964 FIAT stays inside it for the rainy season - and 2 in the compound - I keep my other FIAT there). Immediately I visited the "site" where the car was lying only to be told that it has been broken apart ! Alas - life is like that.

Karlosdeville - if your Standard 10 goes missing, you know where to look for it !

Behram Dhabhar
Old 17th July 2007, 17:09   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Karlosdeville - if your Standard 10 goes missing, you know where to look for it !
You can look but musn't touch!

Did you manage to get any pictures of the car? We would love to see them.
Old 17th July 2007, 17:29   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello to you all - there was this Standard 10 lying in a pitiable non-running condition in Nasik last year. I got the owner's mobile number but I did not buy it as I did not have any place to keep it in Nasik once I bought it as I used to stay in Mumbai.
Out of optimism do you still have the owners contact number? May be he still has a few spares or other bits of the car lying around? Any pictures you have of the car? I would love to see it please.
Old 18th July 2007, 00:11   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello to you all - there was this Standard 10 lying in a pitiable non-running condition in Nasik last year. I got the owner's mobile number but I did not buy it as I did not have any place to keep it in Nasik once I bought it as I used to stay in Mumbai............Immediately I visited the "site" where the car was lying only to be told that it has been broken apart ! Alas - life is like that.
It sure is a pity sir! And that reminds me of a similar experience I had 1 & 1/2 years ago- was also a Standard "10" although the correct name was Pennant (like Karl's car, although in exactly the opposite colours!).....was the one you refer to a similar one?
'so happened this car was owned by an elderly gent in Bombay & was originally from Pune (hence introduced to me by our friend Karl! )....was very original/complete but a non-runner as the engine head gasket had gone & the car had also been submerged in the Bbay floods a few years before.....although no visible damage....he'd asked for 12, came down to 11......but the paperwork plus towing the car to pune (from where I'd been planning to pick it up) would cost a further 7k.....plus getting the car running again thereafter....was just trying to figure out a way of negotiate the cost of the paperwork/towing....when Karl had called up the owner within the next 24 hrs only to know that the car had just been sold that evening- for scrap @ 9k! The owner still had the original tools & manual of the car, which Karl was trying to get later....
And yes, recently missed out on a powder blue italian (imported) Fiat 1100 special in Bombay which went for 27k (I was stuck @ 22 but was just ready to come upto 25!)......it was very original although off the road again, needing restoration...

Last edited by Stanher : 18th July 2007 at 00:23.
Old 18th July 2007, 13:06   #24
BHPian

I see a Standard in hyderabad

Hi Stanher,

I see a Standard(not sure of the exact model etc) at Masab tank daily. Its in the parking lot of an apartment and from outside looks like its pretty well kept and must belong to a lover. not sure if its up for sale but U can always chk out.

Yaser
Old 18th July 2007, 20:35   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Yaser,
Uh, is this car by any chance in Vijaynagar colony at Masab tank?? Powder (light) blue in colour?? If so, then its a 70s Standard Gazel (we have one too, in Dark Blue.....although sitting idle since months!)....yes, I've known that car since the last 5-6 years; see it everytime I pass by that area....it seems to be in use, very original & tidy car although the hubcaps look rusty.....it seems to be the last ('77) model as it has no side-trims.....check the 2nd pic. in this page for clarification:

Standard Gazel

I did feel like going & meeting the owner & taking some pics. at the most........not really keen to buy one of these though....but do let me know if there is a 2-door Herald available here in not too good condition (to serve as a parts donor)
Old 18th July 2007, 20:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Are any of these still available shyam??
Prasad, hang in there, ill get you one if you dont find one before me

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
1 owner family Rolls silver ......very recently, 64 Buick Riviera, asking 2 lakhs.missed 1970 Mercedes 600 SWB at STC auction by 3k!! :-)
Oh yeah, i know where that went and how it must've hurt!!
Old 18th July 2007, 22:29   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Are any of these still available shyam??
Hmm....I'm afraid not Prasad......infact this just reminds me- I- or rather you- just missed out again on a Herald......I'd only heard about this car (around the same time I was buying my Herald) that it was at a local repair garage, covered up in red oxide & the engine had later been taken out, which made me think it was 'condemned' & thought of taking it as a parts car.....but my mech. who found out about the car told me then that it was actually being restored thoroughly....
And now, a few months later, just a week ago he told me that said car ultimately got sold for scrap by the owner who got frustrated with it just because of a failed clutch & pressure plates!!

It sounds like it would've been an ideal 'Phoenix' for you! Anyways, dont lose heart....!
Old 19th July 2007, 00:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
.....not really keen to buy one of these though....but do let me know if there is a 2-door Herald available here in not too good condition (to serve as a parts donor)
hmm!!,
is it that difficult to get hold of these parts.

just for your information I know a person who worked as Technical Director for the Standard Motors and retired in that position. May be he will be having some information on where to source the parts from, do you want me to try with him??
Old 19th July 2007, 01:15   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
hmm!!,
is it that difficult to get hold of these parts.

just for your information I know a person who worked as Technical Director for the Standard Motors and retired in that position. May be he will be having some information on where to source the parts from, do you want me to try with him??
Sure, thanks! Although I somehow doubt if he has any current leads on parts (presumably his connection with them would've stopped with those last made at the factory before closure) he could have any period literature related to the various models &/or could be an excellent source of info. on the history & various detials of the vehicles & the factory too...I was told a couple of years ago that it still exists but is locked up & out of bounds for anyone other than those conencted with it! So do meet up with this gent...would love to know what he knows!
As for getting hold of parts, I still dont really have a problem with mechanical parts (although still searching for Standard size pistons!), its mainly the bodywork related viz. glass, trim, rubber etc. & cosmetics....

Last edited by Stanher : 19th July 2007 at 01:16.
Old 19th July 2007, 02:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
...the vehicles & the factory too...I was told a couple of years ago that it still exists but is locked up & out of bounds for anyone...
Factory was being razed to make way for a mall, last I heard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks