Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2009, 15:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hi all,
I've a rather urgent query reg. importing spares.

I'm in the process of importing some assorted spares from the Standard Motor Club, UK.
As I understand that there is a duty charged for imported items more than Rs.5000 in value, and getting all the items I've ordered together in one package would come upto ₤295 (= Rs.21,000+) including shipping charges (presumably by Courier as it'd come too heavy for airmail)
So, I've reuqested for the smaller parts to be sent in batches, where total value of items in each parcel doesn't exceed Rs.5000 (₤70)

But I've been asked if the Customs in India charge items based on the total value including shipping/insurance(if any) charges or otherwise?

I'm dubious about arranging for an insurance as I suspect it would anyways not be easy making a claim with local Customs/post in case of any loss.
So that leaves me only with shipping charges. Would this be included by Customs while calculating Duty, or do they conentrate only on value of the item?
Hi, normally customs add freight and about 1% and come to the assessable value. This applies for courier and cargo shipments. Not for post parcel.
Caution: do not ever mention the words 'used' or 'old' in the description, that is not allowed!

Last edited by harit : 25th February 2009 at 15:39.
Old 25th February 2009, 17:22   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi, normally customs add freight and about 1% and come to the assessable value. This applies for courier and cargo shipments. Not for post parcel.
Caution: do not ever mention the words 'used' or 'old' in the description, that is not allowed!
Thanks harit.
A couple of questions though-
Reg. "adding frieght", surely it is the same freight charges that are already mentioned in the invoice?
Sorry, 1 % of what exactly?

Yes, I do know that used parts are not allowed in India. I make it a point to request any sellers on ebay or anywhere online from whom I've started buying stuff not to mention anything as "used" or "second-hand" even if they are.
Old 25th February 2009, 17:34   #33
BHPian

I got couple of parts from e-bay.uk, some are new and some are used.
They mentioned in the custom declaration sticker which was sticked in the back of each packet, as New and used, I did not had any problems, only few times they ask for some Duty to be paid.
May be I am lucky ?
Old 25th February 2009, 18:06   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
I got couple of parts from e-bay.uk, some are new and some are used.
They mentioned in the custom declaration sticker which was sticked in the back of each packet, as New and used, I did not had any problems, only few times they ask for some Duty to be paid.
May be I am lucky ?
Uh, girish- did you import these to INDIA?? Or to Saudi/where you're living now??

Because its a known fact that used parts are not allowed here.
Old 25th February 2009, 18:17   #35
BHPian

Stanher,

I bought about 55 different items in E-bay, that includes parts and kites, about 30 of them are delivered to India.

Some times the duty collected are crazy, bought 2 tail lamp, handle lever, petrol caps, headlight rims etc for my bikes total around 50GBP, no duty collected. Then bought 2 chain case cover for 22GBP, they collected RS400 as duty.....I really don't understand how they calculate the duty.
May be by seeing the size of the packet ?

I am at work and will be coming mid April.

regards
Old 26th February 2009, 15:36   #36
BHPian

As far as importing used cars say about 15 years old on TR, what kind of duty is attracted?
Old 27th February 2009, 16:01   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
As far as importing used cars say about 15 years old on TR, what kind of duty is attracted?
I don't suppose one is allowed to import cars that old anymore.
Old 6th August 2009, 19:13   #38
BHPian

want to import a 2nd hand old 1989 engine is it possible?
Old 6th August 2009, 20:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
You caunder the actual user clause, you need to speak to a agent regarding that. It will be difficult for you to clear this sort of shipment as an individual.
Old 6th August 2009, 22:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

A lot of junk comes to India for rerolling in rolling mill's. Could that be a possible way by teaming up with them.
Old 7th August 2009, 01:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Legally not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
A lot of junk comes to India for rerolling in rolling mill's. Could that be a possible way by teaming up with them.
Do not even think of that.

Why get into trouble for such a silly thing? We are all hobbywallas here, no one in his right mind should take risks. In case of a problem one will have a lot of time to regret.
And, did you seriously expect a positive answer on an open forum? Remember those monograms?
SSSShhhhhhh
Old 7th August 2009, 09:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
you seem to be highly inclined to go thro the ''alegal'' way
Old 7th August 2009, 10:46   #43
BHPian

what if it can be imported by a company which is an importer?
Old 24th October 2009, 13:49   #44

Can you give me an idea of how much would a used dauntless V6 (petrol/Diesal) cost me to buy barring the customs duty??

Ajayveer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
Hi All,
I live in america currently and was thinking of getting a jeep engine from here. It will be a petrol or diesel V6 ? I don't know exactly a the issues in importing an engine(dauntless v6/GM 4.3 V-6 ) . But I would welcome any comments ? What do you guys think ? Is it crazy/impossibe to do it without massive freight cost/bureaucratic hassle ?
I would probably put it into a CJ3B or MM540 (which i can buy locally in INdia).
Here's my guide for doing it.
Jeep V6 Engine Conversion on The CJ3B Page
Please let me know !

Prasant
Old 26th March 2012, 16:53   #45
BHPian

Re: Importing used engines/Spare Parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Legally not.

Do not even think of that.

Why get into trouble for such a silly thing? We are all hobbywallas here, no one in his right mind should take risks. In case of a problem one will have a lot of time to regret.
And, did you seriously expect a positive answer on an open forum? Remember those monograms?
SSSShhhhhhh
Sir,
i have purchased a new engine during a sale at canada and is lying in my relatives house there, is it by any means possible to bring it to India,or its completely illegal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks