Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 14:36   #46
BHPian

Re: Importing used engines/Spare Parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
Sir,
i have purchased a new engine during a sale at canada and is lying in my relatives house there, is it by any means possible to bring it to India,or its completely illegal.
Inderpallji,

A new item for a car can be legally imported to India. But it must be new since the dock inspectors will open up the crate and do a physical inspection. I know this from first hand experience with the webasto roof that came from the US to Kolkata. You might remember from my Merc thread that it was the full roof, pillars upwards, used.

In my case, I was completely oblivious to the laws regarding import of goods to India, not having brought down anything via ocean freight previously. I did not knowingly try to circumvent the law.

It was only after the crate left for India that I was put through a CNF agent, who first asked the details of the goods. So I described it and also added 'used'. They said they cannot help as used good are not allowed and it will be seized, auctioned and I'll have to pay penalties blah blah blah. Then I was referred to another agency, who was far more competent and though they did not guarantee release of the goods, they did their best, used their rapport and did the needful. I was lucky to get away with it but only because the crate was never opened.

So yes, new parts are allowed but be careful about the invoice value-the customs duty will be charged on what you declare

Cheerz
mbz180
Old 27th March 2012, 21:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Inderpallji,

So yes, new parts are allowed but be careful about the invoice value-the customs duty will be charged on what you declare

Cheerz
mbz180
Well it should be declared in proportion and sometimes on items like Engines they want to see invoices and also a copy of the mode of payment since it was an import. I did import an engine a few months ago. Had to give alot of papers.
Old 27th March 2012, 21:38   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well it should be declared in proportion and sometimes on items like Engines they want to see invoices and also a copy of the mode of payment since it was an import. I did import an engine a few months ago. Had to give alot of papers.
I thought engine change in a car is not allowed now, or am I wrong? Can we change engines if we import a new one? what is the use of importing an engine?
Old 27th March 2012, 21:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
I thought engine change in a car is not allowed now, or am I wrong? Can we change engines if we import a new one? what is the use of importing an engine?
You can but you need to get it endorsed on the RC. You'd need to also show the source of the engine. That's how people used to dieselise old cars because of the rising fuel prices. You also need to give a reason why you want to change the engine.

Well some engines are not available here. For rally cars you can get good powerful engines at a decent price and for old cars you can get an original engine if its worn out or the car has been dieselised. Many such reasons.
IndrojitSircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 22:08   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
You can but you need to get it endorsed on the RC. You'd need to also show the source of the engine. That's how people used to dieselise old cars because of the rising fuel prices. You also need to give a reason why you want to change the engine.

Well some engines are not available here. For rally cars you can get good powerful engines at a decent price and for old cars you can get an original engine if its worn out or the car has been dieselised. Many such reasons.
Yes, we actually had our amby converted to diesel longback that way, but now they are not endorsing, atleast in AP. There are no more conversions here or they are using vehicles without endorsing. May be they will endorse if we are replacing it with the same spec engine or for rally cars or worn out engines as you mentioned, but conversion is officially not possible here.
Old 28th March 2012, 10:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

ASAIK, an engine in a car can only be replaced, not altered. A car in India can be fitted with a new engine by a dealer, there will be invoices to show and RTO can endorse the change of engine no. But documentation has to be correct.
If you have to import an engine, it has to be new, come with an invoice, during customs clearance you have produce the registration books. Preferably the car should be registered in your name.
You cannot change an engine, either petrol to diesel or put in a different engine (like uprated) because that will now not be endorsed anywhere in India. What was permitted earlier is done with. And if you buy an engine say from Chor Bazar, there can be problems to endorse change of engine no in the books, even if it is of the same make/type.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 16:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
ASAIK, an engine in a car can only be replaced, not altered. A car in India can be fitted with a new engine by a dealer, there will be invoices to show and RTO can endorse the change of engine no. But documentation has to be correct.
If you have to import an engine, it has to be new, come with an invoice, during customs clearance you have produce the registration books. Preferably the car should be registered in your name.
You cannot change an engine, either petrol to diesel or put in a different engine (like uprated) because that will now not be endorsed anywhere in India. What was permitted earlier is done with. And if you buy an engine say from Chor Bazar, there can be problems to endorse change of engine no in the books, even if it is of the same make/type.
The main fact is conversion of FUEL TYPE is no longer allowed anywhere in INDIA.In good old days(pre80's) there was no mention of fuel type in RC books now it is mandatory.
Old 28th March 2012, 17:44   #53

Hi, I had a very bad experience when I tried importing a motorcycle engine from my friend in the UK. The engine got stuck with the customs and had to pay a hefty amount to release it. The customs officers are very smart people and unfortunately for me the checking inspector had amazing knowledge of vintage/classic motorcycles.
Finally after 2 months of struggle I released them not before I submitted atleast 8-10 supporting documents. I brought them as used spares.
The flip side is that I gained a lot of knowledge as to what to do/not to do.
My suggestion is if you do not have necessary supporting documents do not risk importing anything.
Old 28th March 2012, 18:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
...In good old days(pre80's) there was no mention of fuel type in RC books now it is mandatory.
In the 1980's cars ran on petrol, commercial vehicles ran on diesel. The engines available for conversion were Perkins, Kirloskar, and a few more, someone offered original BMC engines for Ambys. And then came those scrap 3 cylinder engines which were mostly fitted into taxis and we all had breathing problems. That is when they realised that type of fuel also plays a role

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockheed View Post
............Finally after 2 months of struggle I released them not before I submitted atleast 8-10 supporting documents. I brought them as used spares.
The flip side is that I gained a lot of knowledge as to what to do/not to do.
My suggestion is if you do not have necessary supporting documents .......
Please be careful here, used spares are NOT allowed, whether you have bills, receipts or anything to support. I suggest that you always must talk to your clearing agent before you import anything, and that applies to everything. Even commercial goods can get hassled the first time, then a precedent is set and thing can become easier, but need not be so!!

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 20:13   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Yes, we actually had our amby converted to diesel longback that way, but now they are not endorsing, atleast in AP. There are no more conversions here or they are using vehicles without endorsing. May be they will endorse if we are replacing it with the same spec engine or for rally cars or worn out engines as you mentioned, but conversion is officially not possible here.
You can replace the original spec engine in case of classic cars but you will have to approach the TRANSPORT COMMISSIONER and convince him abt its genuineness
Old 28th January 2013, 01:19   #56
BHPian

A friend wants to import a 'new' Honda NSR 250r engine from Singapore. Is that possible with two strokers being banned??? If yes, what is the procedure ie what papers are needed???
Old 4th December 2013, 05:28   #57

Hi all,

I have a question regarding carrying vehicle parts with me on person while traveling from UK to India.

I live in the UK (Indian citizen) and am carrying a couple of parts for my Uncle's old car (Sunbeam Talbot). The parts are a water pump (small) and another minor part. The total cost of the parts is about £120 (Rs.12,000 at current exchange rate). I'm happy to pay a custom duty, but can't seem to find much information on it. Firstly, do I need to pay any duty and how do I go about it? I am carrying other usual stuff, such as chocolates, etc, but no electronics, etc. So, the car parts are the only major item in terms of cost.

Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 09:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto.enthusiast View Post
Hi all, I have a question regarding carrying vehicle parts with me on person while traveling from UK to India. I live in the UK (Indian citizen) and am carrying a couple of parts for my Uncle's old car (Sunbeam Talbot). The parts are a water pump (small) and another minor part. The total cost of the parts is about £120 (Rs.12,000 at current exchange rate). I'm happy to pay a custom duty, but can't seem to find much information on it. Firstly, do I need to pay any duty and how do I go about it? I am carrying other usual stuff, such as chocolates, etc, but no electronics, etc. So, the car parts are the only major item in terms of cost. Thanks
Pack and carry but you should face no issues if the car is your family's . It's for personal consumption and if asked pay the duty which is on such parts not high.

Cheers
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 13:01   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Pack and carry but you should face no issues if the car is your family's . It's for personal consumption and if asked pay the duty which is on such parts not high.

Cheers
the duty is 34.5 percent of the landed cost.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2013, 13:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

For self consumption upto INR 25,000 customs usually do not bother. I have bought goods amounting to 10 -15 K inr (scale models, tools, parts etc.) but have had no issues at all.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks