Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 21:56   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Yes true Stanher. The owner is quite possessive about his car but it satnds neglected and comes out during every rally to get into the fitness (only mechanical) mode and complete the run.
Hmm.....some people are rather uh, different!

BTW, interesting to note that there are quite some variations in the same model Minx. The beige/"biscuit coloured" one in Karl's photos above looks quite clean, like a European car of it's time- no side trims or the trim plates on the rear door corners, no HILLMAN badge on bonnet lip, 'Minx' badges on front doors, plus no bumper overriders (guards). And I would believe all these features are original, this being a very original car.
The choclate brown one again in Karl's photos has bumperguards plus (appears to have) bonnet lip badge but no side-trim or rear door trims and has 'Minx' door badges.

The black car has all the above features of the chocolate one, but no 'Minx' badges but instead side-trims.
Old 27th February 2009, 22:35   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes true Stanher. The owner is quite possessive about his car but it satnds neglected and comes out during every rally to get into the fitness (only mechanical) mode and complete the run.
Also do note the steering-both are original and different.
Old 28th February 2009, 12:47   #63
BHPian

I suggest if all agree rename this thread to "Hillman Cars in India" and post all Hillman cars models seen or under restoration etc. Since this car is one of the popular car, it will be interesting to see the oldest surviving Hillman cars presently in India.
Old 28th February 2009, 20:52   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

I can find some links between the Rootes Group of UK, that made Hillmans and the digit "Three".See the steering horn button of the Minx (pictures posted by me) -there are three dots on the top and bottom and there are three tear drop like images at the centre.The steering has three spokes. The older Minx's of the 1940's (Minx Phase 3) which preceded this model had three nuts and bolts on their wheels. Rare, because perhaps no other car of yore had only three nuts and bots on the wheel drum to fasten each wheel!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th February 2009 at 20:55.
Old 1st March 2009, 10:14   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rare, because perhaps no other car of yore had only three nuts and bots on the wheel drum to fasten each wheel!
I thought some French cars, Peugeots especially, did as well?
Old 1st March 2009, 22:57   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I thought some French cars, Peugeots especially, did as well?
Yes Stanher I was also thinking on those lines after your post.The Citreon 2CV may be one of the French cars with such an odd three nut and bolt wheels.
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:02   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
wow she is a beauty....do you know how many of them are here in india???

Hi
I own one of these. The one shown in black is the exact model which I have got . Has some one restored this car in particular ?
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:27   #68
BHPian

Hi Sudeepdua,
Can you post pictures of your car, model details etc. I am interested to see oldest Hillman models still can be seen in India.
Old 6th March 2009, 00:21   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Lovely Hilly there Anjan, brought back very fond memories. Chokh bhijey gaelo dekhey - Purano shei dineyr katha...
Attached Thumbnails
Hillman Minx-tihilly2.jpg  

Old 6th March 2009, 19:34   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Lovely Hilly there Anjan, brought back very fond memories. Chokh bhijey gaelo dekhey - Purano shei dineyr katha...
Thanks Prabal.Lots of these were used as Bombay taxis and also as private cars.In the film "Chalti Ka Naam Gaadi" the workshop of the Kumar's has one parked throughout the film alongwith a Hudson and a Hindustan 14.
Old 18th March 2009, 17:10   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Hi Sudeepdua,
Can you post pictures of your car, model details etc. I am interested to see oldest Hillman models still can be seen in India.

I have a Hillman Minx 1939 which is in good condition and has participated in Statesman Rally in Delhi in near past.Pic attached
Attached Thumbnails
Hillman Minx-hillmans.jpg  

Old 19th March 2009, 11:50   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
I suggest if all agree rename this thread to "Hillman Cars in India" and post all Hillman cars models seen or under restoration etc. Since this car is one of the popular car, it will be interesting to see the oldest surviving Hillman cars presently in India.
In 1988 or so I saw 2 vintage Hillman cars in Madurai, of the early 1930's, both identical. One yellow, complete original, one green changed mechanicals, seats etc. Both open tourers.
There was also a 8 cylinder Hillman somewhere in Lucknow, bad condition, but rare.

Any more vintage Hillman cars (HillmEn) out there pre 1935? Quite a few late 1930's cars are around.

Last edited by harit : 19th March 2009 at 11:52. Reason: added a question
Old 19th March 2009, 12:34   #73
BHPian

Harit SIR,

Is this one you are talking about ?

Previously he was asking 3.0 Lakhs, around 18 months ago, one of my friend offered him around 2 Lakh, he refused that offer and now wants 23 Lakhs.....

Vintage car for sale 1930 model - Chennai - Cars
Attached Thumbnails
Hillman Minx-1933_hillman1.jpg  

Hillman Minx-1933_hillman.jpg  

Old 19th March 2009, 13:06   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Harit SIR,

Is this one you are talking about ?

Previously he was asking 3.0 Lakhs, around 18 months ago, one of my friend offered him around 2 Lakh, he refused that offer and now wants 23 Lakhs.....

Vintage car for sale 1930 model - Chennai - Cars
I think this the one which was green before. Look the changed wheels, front seat a bench.
On the price, a game with numbers. He wanted 3L, your friend offered 2L, now he wants 23L. If your friend had offered 1L, he would now be asking 13L. See, you must think of so many things when negotiating.

But on a more serious note, there is so much not original that even 2L is too much. And even bodywork is shoddy. I do not remember what this car was used for, but compare it to a Mumbai Premier cab which has had all its juices sucked out and is so battered that she can never be put right. Now if this were a rare car, then equation would be different.
Old 19th March 2009, 13:35   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
If your friend had offered 1L, he would now be asking 13L.
I agree with you Sir,

My friend started around 1.4 L and did the last offer 1.8 L, that too was bit high.

At that time we were not very active here (TBhp) and we knew only few friends around to discuss about cars, where we thought that would be the fair price.

regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks