Team-BHP - The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Vintage Cars & Classics in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/)
-   -   The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/31848-classic-commercial-vehicles-bus-trucks-etc-thread-4.html)

Can anyone identify this truck? It had a script on the side which I think might be in Russian......

Shot at 2008-03-08

Shot at 2008-03-08

Note LHD

Shot at 2008-03-08

Islero, that's a GAZ-51, it was one of the most popular trucks during World War. The first time i'm seeing one of these here!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by islero (Post 751508)
Can anyone identify this truck? It had a script on the side which I think might be in Russian......

Where did you find t his, in Chennai?? Wow, thats really rare! 'wonder who couldve imported it here....

I was really taken aback to see it. This was spotted in the same area as the Ford.The interior was intact, and the bodywork needs only a bit of work....I wish someone would save it....

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM (Post 736671)
Dear fx45 - On BEST buses, I would like to share some information. Some models of BEST buses used to have what is known as a pneumocyclic grearbox. The double deckers were known as "Cheetah" and the single deckers were known as "Tiger Cub".

The tiger cub had a very interseting feature. The engine was a 6 cylinder unit horizontally mounted under the floor in the middle of the bus (as seen lengthwise), hung from the chassis (you sleep below it to set the valve clearences. If it fell by any chance, you would be history. I used to do this work as I wanted to learn, then someone would start the engine with me still below it to check if all was OK). There was a long shaft driving a fan in front and a very small propeller shaft coming out of the engine and going to the gearbox. The gears would be changed by the driver in normal fashion but there was no clutch pedal. The gear lever essentially was a pneumatic valve operating solenoids which in turn would compress or release bands inside the gearbox. The gears would be stars, planets and cylindrical rings. The lever would be slotted (just like in today's Ferraris). Operation of the lever would result in a "swish" noise as the air pressure applied and released the bands.

It was in regular use till the end 70s. Alas, nowhere to be seen now.

I know because I used to be a trainee in the BEST workshop in Dadar in 1975. Now I am a GM somewhere. I used to enjoy life more when I was a trainee.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

thankx for sharin tht bro... !!

there is a towing truck very old one.. maybe some bedford or chevy.. still working hard.. in parel mumba.. its usually parked on the road near premier cinema..

still has its orignal body and 4 spoke stereing wheel. i feel thats probably the last one of those in mumbai..

Some pictures of commercial vehicles from a book on Britain's Motor Industry

This one belongs to Gujarat Irrigation Dept. I caught up with them when they were stranded on Patan Mehsana stateway. I helped them up with some tools.
Prakash Bhai the driver and his family has practically lived along it with since it was imported in 1972. He even named it 'Raj Hans'. On the trailer bed he had made his living quarter with all the household stuff. He also takes his wife along most of the time.

Its a 1969 DM800 having V8 diesel. Its a 4x6 low bed heavy haulage used to transport irrigation dept. equipment. Condition is very bad, but still runs smoothly. One need lot of practice to learn its gear system. (18F+2Rev)

This is also the day, when I swore to carry extra (four) battery for my camera. Hence, after the repair it was almost dark, I could only use N73 to take the pictures.

PS: Please bear with me for the image quality.

fantastico. You are bringing back memories of my amdavad days - very fond memories. love the gujarati words in devanagari.

Please note that! Most of my uploads, I do not black out the Regd. Plates, Its against the rules around here but as I always ask for permission.

Thats quite a find. There must be so many more still in active service with various state governments. Did you see this?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/676291-post28.html

We had 3 Standard Tempos and 1 Dodge truck.Sold off long ago when they started breaking down more often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayD (Post 751517)
Islero, that's a GAZ-51, it was one of the most popular trucks during World War. The first time i'm seeing one of these here!!

Correction Gaz 51 was not used in WW. Its prototyped were build. Yeah! It do holds the title of most mass produced truck in Russia. Russian used mostly american trucks, on something called loan-lease.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amey (Post 803789)
We had 3 Standard Tempos and 1 Dodge truck.Sold off long ago when they started breaking down more often.

Are you sure you dont have the remains of any of them in that big junkyard of yours? I must get a look next time.:)

My dad has an interesting theory on the Fargo trucks. They broke down so often, that it was a dream for them to 'go far'

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 803948)
Are you sure you dont have the remains of any of them in that big junkyard of yours? I must get a look next time.:)

My dad has an interesting theory on the Fargo trucks. They broke down so often, that it was a dream for them to 'go far'

That reminds me of the time when my old school had a Fargo bus among the fleet they owned.
It wasnt bad looking back then, I remember it still had the FARGO name badge on its front with a chrome-slatted radiator grille (in good condition!), used to be fascinated by it as I'd never seen a bus that attractive!

I used to gaze at it for sometime almost everyday just before leaving the school as the buses were parked in the premises filling up with students. A classmate of mine who knew of my fascination for this bus used to poke fun of the name- "It'll go very far....thats why its called Fargo"...

I did see it still in use even 4-5 years ago. Unfortunately they gave it away to another branch of the school after which it wasnt maintained as well and it was painted yellow following a rule for the colour of all school buses here. I wonder if it still exists.