Team-BHP - The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Vintage Cars & Classics in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/)
-   -   The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/31848-classic-commercial-vehicles-bus-trucks-etc-thread-10.html)

there is a similar fire engine lying rotting ( or maybe this is the one! ) in the fire training institue in Kalina Mumbai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by egangsta (Post 959385)
Abhi, whats the current status of the truck in the second pic (1946 Ford GWD Wagon).

This truck has dissapeared. so i am guessing it either was sold for scrap or went into the ground. the car used to stand at churchgate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fx45 (Post 959498)
there is a similar fire engine lying rotting ( or maybe this is the one! ) in the fire training institue in Kalina Mumbai.

this is the same one fx45.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prabal (Post 959316)
Nice pix speedy. I think the following descriptions may be suitable:
1. 1946/49 Dodge
2. 1942-45 CMP (Canadian Military Pattern) Chevrolet/Dodge, most likely this one's a Chevy.
3. 1943-45 Diamond T.
Cheers,
P

Nice pics. Prabhal is right about the first three. The CMP-Chevy seems
pretty interesting. The CMPs like the Willys MB & Ford GPW were made especially for the allied forces for the War, during '42-45. There were plenty of them running as lorries at one time, but now they have become extinct. Folks any CMPs available,please let me know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dussey (Post 959907)
Nice pics. Prabhal is right about the first three. The CMP-Chevy seems
pretty interesting. The CMPs like the Willys MB & Ford GPW were made especially for the allied forces for the War, during '42-45. There were plenty of them running as lorries at one time, but now they have become extinct. Folks any CMPs available,please let me know.

Those CMPs were recently broken in Kurla area less than a year ago, they were used by the Milk Supplier Company owned by the State GOvernemnt. THe usual Cream and Blue trucks. ( MUmbaikars might be knowing them)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fx45 (Post 968067)
Those CMPs were recently broken in Kurla area less than a year ago, they were used by the Milk Supplier Company owned by the State GOvernemnt. THe usual Cream and Blue trucks. ( MUmbaikars might be knowing them)

What a pity ! They certainly are collectables.

This 47 Oldsmobile had made an appearance in the 99 VCCCI rally in Poona, I think entered by Dossa, not sure. She sported strange red plates, which I thought were reserved for royalty.

If I'm not mistaken an Austin A40 with an A40 pedalcar mounted on the roof also made an appearance, and one or both of them were black and yellow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 969643)
This 47 Oldsmobile had made an appearance in the 99 VCCCI rally in Poona, I think entered by Dossa, not sure. She sported strange red plates, which I thought were reserved for royalty.

This car belongs to Mr.Dossa. If i remember right it is the Cream and Red one you see today or a different one not sure. this one stood with us for a while and if memory serves right this was the sort of number plate that was proposed for all recognised (by the club) Vintage and classic cars to sport.

Recently I was in Jaipur and had gone to see some Classic Car. In the same premises, I saw a Classic Truck, which requires restoration. Since I am not interested in Vintage/ Classic commercial vehicles, I did not make further enquiry. I was told the vehicle is for sale. Just for the sake of record, I had taken some photographs, which I am uploading. Hope they are of some interest.

S.B.Jatti.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 969643)

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy (Post 969658)
This car belongs to Mr.Dossa. If i remember right it is the Cream and Red one you see today or a different one not sure. this one stood with us for a while and if memory serves right this was the sort of number plate that was proposed for all recognised (by the club) Vintage and classic cars to sport.

Comments from Harit.

Quote:

About the Oldsmobile taxi of Nitin. It was painted in these colours for a shoot. You will see that there is no taxi meter. I have a numbe of photos of taxis, even vintage tourers. But I have never seen this model Olds as a cab. Very popular were Chrysler products, Fords and Chevys. Later Morris Minors, Austin, Vauxhall etc. In Goa there were Mercedes, Opel, Peugeot, Holden Taxis upto the mid seventies.
Harit

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 972103)
Comments from Harit.

can you post those pics of the vintage taxi's so that i can see them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti (Post 971309)
Recently I was in Jaipur and had gone to see some Classic Car. In the same premises, I saw a Classic Truck, which requires restoration. Since I am not interested in Vintage/ Classic commercial vehicles, I did not make further enquiry. I was told the vehicle is for sale. Just for the sake of record, I had taken some photographs, which I am uploading. Hope they are of some interest.

This would be a 1945 Chevrolet 1-1/2 Ton:

Old Chevy Truck 1945 Chevy Dump Truck

Or could it be a 1/2 ton pick-up?!:

James Droge's 1945 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton -- Restoring an old Chevy truck

It seems to still have the original "stovebolt" 6 engine? The chrome is surprinsgly still in good nick after all these years!

I would love to pick it up if only I had the resources to park it, leave alone restore it!

Do I see a likely candidate for Chip Foose in this? :)

Guys those CMP trucks, iremember seeing one in Mayapuri about 6-8months back, though it was'nt there when i when back again after a couple of months, so i wish its in good hands and not scrapped. It was from a fresh army auction and that got me thinking. I mean, i've heard there are still unauctioned Army Ford/Willys in Assam, and then this one creeps up from the middle of nowhere. Theres a truck here in chandigarh(in sec 9) standing in a municpality godown(probably a bedford or a chevy, but a 1-2 ton trouck) and then there are 2 standing in the same type of godown in sec 27(dodge and chevy, both 0.5-1 ton trucks), all of these unloved and uncared for.

A Vanguard Phase 2 taxi here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/999696-post537.html

thanks carlos for that link.

Recently I saw a 1931 Chevy Van for sale. Originally this had a wooden body. But the owner had replaced it with an Aluminum body like a bus. Rest of the vehicle was OK but it required full restoration.Asking price was very high. I now understand that this was sold for 5.5 lacs. Who says that prices are heading south?