Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 09:27   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
netchef first reminder!!! Thanks in advance
The Earles front fork is great for sidecar use and for all day riding. It has an adjustment whereby you can increase the wheel base of the bike for sidecar use and lessen it for solo use. It's liek 4 shock absorbers. On the Rajdoot it's square box section. looks flimsy on that.
Well it corodes a bit with the air here, but then it's not to bad if you use the silver aluminum paint on it.
deutscheafrikar: Earles it is...haven't heard that word in ages.
Quite a feat to be able to adjust the wheelbase.
Old 8th March 2009, 13:58   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

This BMW is featured in BSMotoring this month.

This handsome Matchless belongs to a friend of mine. Is that suspension set up original?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Motorcycles in India-01.jpg  

Classic Motorcycles in India-02.jpg  

Old 8th March 2009, 21:09   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This BMW is featured in BSMotoring this month.This handsome Matchless belongs to a friend of mine. Is that suspension set up original?
Thanks for the info. I went and bought the magazine. Pics are nice but the article is not good at all. Nothing about the previous owner who must have looked after the bike so well for all these years. Nothing much about the bike itself, and of what little they have researched probably from the Internet there are many errors. Ofcouse the current owner is swearing that every thing on the bike is original including the odometer reading of some 28k km or miles. But for that little milage he suprisingly has an old set of shock absorber springs.
I've never seen a rear suspension like the one your friend has on his matchless. Maybe someone has converted a rigid rear into this. What year is this bike?? 1947 - 51?
Old 8th March 2009, 22:07   #124
BHPian

Karl,

I never seen such rear suspension on any Matchless too.

It may be some modifications done to 1940's 3GL or G80L
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Motorcycles in India-matchlessg3l46.jpg  

Classic Motorcycles in India-bike-matchless-g80l-1946-right.jpg  

Old 8th March 2009, 23:14   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What year is this bike?? 1947 - 51?
The regn. no. appears to be a 50s Hyderabad one.
Karl, is this bike still in Hyd. or Pune?
Old 9th March 2009, 10:08   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've never seen a rear suspension like the one your friend has on his matchless. Maybe someone has converted a rigid rear into this. What year is this bike?? 1947 - 51?
Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Karl,

I never seen such rear suspension on any Matchless too.

It may be some modifications done to 1940's 3GL or G80L
Some people swear its original, some swear its cut and made later. An authority on these bikes says that is a bolt on after market kit that people would fit back in the day.

The bike is in Pune. I rode it yesterday it is tremendous fun to ride, and very usable. The suspension set up makes the bike more comfortable than my swing arm Triumph!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 9th March 2009 at 10:10.
Old 9th March 2009, 10:11   #127
Senior - BHPian

It is a alteration done in Hyderabad in the early 90's to make the bike more comfortable.

I know the bike well and have see it plenty of times to know that this is no professional after market accessory.
Old 9th March 2009, 10:29   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
It is a alteration done in Hyderabad in the early 90's to make the bike more comfortable.

I know the bike well and have see it plenty of times to know that this is no professional after market accessory.
Thanks wasif, so now atleast we have confirmation.
Old 9th March 2009, 11:13   #129
Senior - BHPian

Okay Karl I did some research. Matchless had similar concept with the Silver Arrow and Silver Hawk sprung frames back in the early 30s.They featured a unique cantilever rear suspension in which the rear sub-frame pivoted in Silentbloc rubber-bonded bushes behind the gearbox. Two compression springs were mounted under the saddle, and damping was by friction discs, controlled by a knob. Very similar to the Vincents. All had a Girder front end though.
If you look closely at the pics you have posted, all of the frame bits look to be lugged- even the forward shock attachment points below the seat look like forged bits.
I'm attaching photos of the Silver Hawk and silver arrow which have the rear frame in question.
Maybe some one had a frame of one of these bikes, or the rear suspension or who know what.

Nigel
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Motorcycles in India-matchless_silver_hawk.jpg  

Classic Motorcycles in India-matchless_silver_hawk_motorcycle_1931_close_up.jpg  

Classic Motorcycles in India-silverarrow.jpg  

Classic Motorcycles in India-matchless_silver_arrow_2.jpg  

Classic Motorcycles in India-34hawk.jpg  

Old 9th March 2009, 11:36   #130
BHPian

Karl,

My cousin used to own similar motorcycle in early 80's, I don't remember much, but it has back seat with springs at that time. The colour was black then not good, the motorcycle was heavy, but very powerful. He used to live on Rd#7, Banjara Hills, Hyd.
Old 9th March 2009, 17:39   #131
Senior - BHPian

Karl
Here is a scan of a 1930 Matchless Silver Arrow V-Twin photographs, from someones original literature. Maybe somebody used the Sprung Rear from a Silver Arrow and joined it to a later model Matchless frame front.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Motorcycles in India-1930matchlesssilverarrow.jpg  

Old 10th March 2009, 01:13   #132
BHPian

KAR L: Wow that is an amazing bike. The rear end is nothing close to the G3L rigid. Mr. Wasif who ever done that mod job is fantastic (looking at the welds) but I really doubt it, looking at the attachments that hold the springs under the seat and also the point where the whole thing pivots on the frame. Like pointed out above, probably this person was lucky enough to get a Silver Hawk's frame. There is a lot to modify from the original rigid frame and moreover frames from the G3LS were available in plenty and would have probably been a cheaper option than this.

Also, Mr. Wasif any leads on anyone who do these kind of mods?

Here is another copy of the Silver Hawk.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Motorcycles in India-matchless_1935_brochure_page_13.jpg  

Old 10th March 2009, 10:19   #133
Senior - BHPian

The frame of the Silver Arrow / Hawk was unique to that specific bike. It was not offered with a ny other engine combinations as far as i am aware of.

I checked with the guy who had done this bike and he was able to carify that the frame and engine on the bike are not original. He found a frame with the pivot rear suspension in the old city of Hyderabad.

Had the frame with him for a long time trying to find a Matchless V4 engine to fit to it but in vain.

He finally used the frame with certian mods to the top with a single cylinder Matchless engine and sold the bike as a racing specail.

There used to be a guy in Marredpally, Secunderabad by the name of Zozimo who also had a similar frame with him.

A lot of old bikes in Hyd were created with frames and engines and even regestration documents sourced from the grey market.

I once owned a 72 Kawasaki H3 three cylinder two stroker. It was regestered as a 750 CC but once it was opened up it turned out to be a much smaller engine.

Last edited by wasif : 10th March 2009 at 10:22.
Old 10th March 2009, 21:31   #134
BHPian

Mr. Wasif: Thats exactly what I was getting at. So this person is indeed lucky to get this bike, a very unique and nice frame. The usual modification done on the G3L was put it on a G3LS frame because of comfort. Ive seen many bikes around like this and in fact I have owned one of these too. As usual the papers were tampered with.
Old 9th May 2009, 19:55   #135

this thread has really been interesting reading and gives a rare insight into classic bikes both british and american along with various italian/european, guys have a little favor to ask of you.

am looking for a decent bike from the girdir forks era to somewhere in the 60's would prefer not having the plunger shocker models.

i know its a tall order since the make/year is unspecified but but still would like to request members to let me know the price i would be expected to fork out for this size between 350cc to 650cc

thanks
chopsi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks