Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2008, 13:03   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Pictures of BYH 7000, Goldstar
karlosdeville: Good Lord- that is Navroze's Goldie! It blows me away to see it ...the nostalgia, the memories, the sheer amazement that after 26 years I should find pixels of this beauty on Team_BHP. When I knew it -from Viviani Rd, I lived just 2 houses away from Monsieur Contractor, and looked upon him AND his bike with undiluted awe. I was 18-19 when he first moved next door and rode a 1941 ex-WD OHV Triumph. It was a rad machine, all wild and wide-boy in matte black, but I remember being extremely kicked when someone said she sounded just like NC's Goldie.

The Goldie then had the aluminium bubble (thumb-squasher) tank painted red, and NC ran her with an Alphabet silencer, clip-ons and the alloy rims (Dunlop, I think), and I'd go there mornings and just sit and look at the machine in his porch. We'd both patronize Mr Mehra off BRV Theatre for our spares.

Karl Munshi -owned the only other Goldie I knew of- and could not believe it when I told him about NC's bike- I ended-up introducing them.

Is the Sam mentioned on this thread, Sam Solomon? If it is, I had the pleasure of being taken for a spin by him on his Velocette Viper (or Venom? can't remember) but know that his wife used to be pretty peeved at all the attention and time he'd bestow on the bike- his own words.

Good days, now gone.
Old 6th November 2008, 20:47   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
karlosdeville: Good Lord- that is Navroze's Goldie! It blows me away to see it ...the nostalgia, the memories, the sheer amazement that after 26 years I should find pixels of this beauty on Team_BHP. When I knew it -from Viviani Rd, I lived just 2 houses away from Monsieur Contractor, and looked upon him AND his bike with undiluted awe. I was 18-19 when he first moved next door and rode a 1941 ex-WD OHV Triumph. It was a rad machine, all wild and wide-boy in matte black, but I remember being extremely kicked when someone said she sounded just like NC's Goldie.

The Goldie then had the aluminium bubble (thumb-squasher) tank painted red, and NC ran her with an Alphabet silencer, clip-ons and the alloy rims (Dunlop, I think), and I'd go there mornings and just sit and look at the machine in his porch. We'd both patronize Mr Mehra off BRV Theatre for our spares.

Karl Munshi -owned the only other Goldie I knew of- and could not believe it when I told him about NC's bike- I ended-up introducing them.

Is the Sam mentioned on this thread, Sam Solomon? If it is, I had the pleasure of being taken for a spin by him on his Velocette Viper (or Venom? can't remember) but know that his wife used to be pretty peeved at all the attention and time he'd bestow on the bike- his own words.

Good days, now gone.
Netchef : Yes that was Navroze's Goldie - BYH 7000. Karl Munshi sold his Goldie ( MYV 7155 ) in 1989 to Reubin Solomon, who has restored it immaculately and still owns it. Navroze's bike was always a DBD 500, Karl Munshi's was a DB 350 when sold,but is now enhanced to a DBD 500. The other 2 Goldie's still present in Bangalore are Rishad Minocher's DB 350 & Nauzar Garda's CB 350 tourer.

It is not the same Sam. Sam Solomon is Reubins brother in Pune who owns the Velocette Venom. For your memory, the pictures of Karl's Goldie and Sams Velocette.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Motorcycles in India-scan0010.jpg  

Classic Motorcycles in India-scan0017.jpg  

Old 6th November 2008, 20:54   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBreeze View Post
Hi Dom.,

These are beautiful . Are they all yours ? The RE is very very special . I have been looking for a RE twin for years.

Just thought I would ask : Does ANYONE of you know of an R series BMW Airhead Boxer Twin for sale ? My preferences are immaterial - any R series.

Cheers

OceanBreeze
Just ask around, there is a R series twin for sale in Mumbai. Asking a crazy price.
Old 7th November 2008, 09:31   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
Karl, remember this T'bird in Pune ? It was Silver, Parsi owned at one time ? Christy helped me to source the bike.
You bet, it belonged to my neighbour. I have pictures somewhere too. We were looking for a Triumph around that time but couldn't afford it then so we bought a Tiger. Big mistake leaving this one. It was owned earlier by one Mr Bandrawalla in Bombay, who is trying to trace it down since some time. Is it with you?
Old 7th November 2008, 10:42   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Netchef : Yes that was Navroze's Goldie - BYH 7000. Karl Munshi sold his Goldie ( MYV 7155 ) in 1989 to Reubin Solomon, who has restored it immaculately and still owns it. Navroze's bike was always a DBD 500, Karl Munshi's was a DB 350 when sold,but is now enhanced to a DBD 500. The other 2 Goldie's still present in Bangalore are Rishad Minocher's DB 350 & Nauzar Garda's CB 350 tourer.

It is not the same Sam. Sam Solomon is Reubins brother in Pune who owns the Velocette Venom. For your memory, the pictures of Karl's Goldie and Sams Velocette.
dominator: Thank-you, Sir, for clarifying and for the gorgeous pics. Those are wonderful people, machines and memories (for me). The fibre lower cowling is familiar. In those days when a faired-bike was unheard of and unseen, the Velo with the cowl stood out (I think it was black back then).

I didn't know Karl's was a 350. I found these chaps who'll do you an good-as-new Goldie for 13,500 GBP...oops, but years ago had found another UK-based engineer who'd manufacture out a brand new Manx or Goldie or indeed whatever Brit iron took your fancy, from old drawings but using modern materials for 20,000 GBP (can't recall his name or the magazine in which I spied the article) which brings us to the quandary that the Mona Lisa done in Photoshop might look better, smile better, but subliminally one would know she wasn't the original?

If I had the monies, I would opt for the brand new Goldie.

Len Haggis Classic Motorcycles, We have over 20 years experience of buying, selling and restoring BSA Goldstars. We are one of the largest mail order suppliers of Goldstar parts. We also buy and sell other makes of Classic Bikes. See our bikes for sa

Wonder what Karl did with his desmo? engine mounted on a test-bed in his garden (Norton crank if I remember right, with the top half designed and machined by him)...I offered to test it on my bike 25 years ago.
Old 7th November 2008, 10:42   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
You bet, it belonged to my neighbour. I have pictures somewhere too. We were looking for a Triumph around that time but couldn't afford it then so we bought a Tiger. Big mistake leaving this one. It was owned earlier by one Mr Bandrawalla in Bombay, who is trying to trace it down since some time. Is it with you?
Sold 3 years ago. The bike is in Coimbatore, part of a New Growing Collection.
Old 7th November 2008, 10:55   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
dominator: Thank-you, Sir, for clarifying and for the gorgeous pics. Those are wonderful people, machines and memories (for me). The fibre lower cowling is familiar. In those days when a faired-bike was unheard of and unseen, the Velo with the cowl stood out (I think it was black back then).

I didn't know Karl's was a 350. I found these chaps who'll do you an good-as-new Goldie for 13,500 GBP...oops, but years ago had found another UK-based engineer who'd manufacture out a brand new Manx or Goldie or indeed whatever Brit iron took your fancy, from old drawings but using modern materials for 20,000 GBP (can't recall his name or the magazine in which I spied the article) which brings us to the quandary that the Mona Lisa done in Photoshop might look better, smile better, but subliminally one would know she wasn't the original?

If I had the monies, I would opt for the brand new Goldie.

Len Haggis Classic Motorcycles, We have over 20 years experience of buying, selling and restoring BSA Goldstars. We are one of the largest mail order suppliers of Goldstar parts. We also buy and sell other makes of Classic Bikes. See our bikes for sa

Wonder what Karl did with his desmo? engine mounted on a test-bed in his garden (Norton crank if I remember right, with the top half designed and machined by him)...I offered to test it on my bike 25 years ago.
The Black Velo is Reubins,missing the Clubman trims.
Oh yes, Len Haggis, the man for all seasons. Have been regularly shopping with him for parts,the Goldie parts are frightfully expensive,most are replicas.

He still has some remains of the Desmo,has shifted to Hennur from his old place and at 70 +, still rides the Unicorn for fun. Still craves for a Goldie.
Old 7th November 2008, 11:15   #98
BHPian

Quote:
The Black Velo is Reubins,missing the Clubman trims.
Oh yes, Len Haggis, the man for all seasons. Have been regularly shopping with him for parts,the Goldie parts are frightfully expensive,most are replicas.

He still has some remains of the Desmo,has shifted to Hennur from his old place and at 70 +, still rides the Unicorn for fun. Still craves for a Goldie.
dominator: Ah, Karl-a thorough gentleman- had brake fluid for blood. His sons and I rode his (then ex) Shooting Star a lot and frightened the general public including the poor denizens of the IISc.

Karl once introduced me to a Jewish gent named Mr Reuben (hope I got the name correct) who ran a PG/guest house type of gig at the elbow of Dispensary Rd diagonally opposite where the petrol bunk used to be. Story is he used to own a Vincent and repeatedly turned down Karl's request for a ride- citing such flimsy excuses as the clutch was slipping etc. Karl finally prevailed and recounted how he hit 60 MPH in first gear.
Old 9th November 2008, 21:49   #99
BHPian

BLP 8 ( Triumph 21 ) pictured in 1999. Still in the same condition even today. Would this be a Pune/Mumbai registration ?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Motorcycles in India-50.jpg  

Old 9th November 2008, 21:54   #100
BHPian

Anil Bhingade's immaculately restored '57 Tiger at the Pune rally ( 2002 ? ).
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Motorcycles in India-51.jpg  

Last edited by dominator : 9th November 2008 at 22:00.
Old 9th November 2008, 22:06   #101
BHPian

My BSA A 10 Golden Flash 1956. Sold a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Motorcycles in India-48.jpg  

Old 9th November 2008, 22:12   #102
BHPian

Sunbeam S 7's in Hyderabad. The red bike participated in the Pune rally ( 2002 ? ). Both bikes still remain in Hyderabad.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Motorcycles in India-45.jpg  

Classic Motorcycles in India-47.jpg  

Old 9th November 2008, 22:13   #103
Senior - BHPian

nice collections.please update.dear all.
Old 13th November 2008, 20:41   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Sunbeam S 7's in Hyderabad. The red bike participated in the Pune rally ( 2002 ? ). Both bikes still remain in Hyderabad.

Spic and span and quite rare. I once rode a similar- if older perhaps- Sunbeam years ago and it was shod with Ambassador car tyres, so you can begin to imagine how hideously she cornered. The bike wasn't anywhere near concours, but the engine seemed sound. Sadly, it was on its way to being sold.

The 'bathtub' might have been aerodynamic, but the '57 Tiger oozed sex appeal, at least in my eyes. Hats off to Bhingade, Esq.

Last edited by netchef : 13th November 2008 at 20:47. Reason: Scrolled backwards after I'd posted
Old 5th December 2008, 18:27   #105
Team-BHP Support

Crosslinking to this thread :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...le-v-twin.html

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks