Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2008, 16:53   #91
BHPian

this is an awesome restoration....please poet about the progress...pics preferred
Old 5th June 2008, 22:39   #92
DKG
Senior - BHPian

For years whenever someone asked me if I would sell any of my cars I had settled to a decent way of turning away people who were'nt too serious. I simply quoted what in my mind would be a price at which I would be inclined to part with a car. In 99% of the cases it worked and they walked away only to come back a few years later to agree on my price only to be told my price point had shifted! Our 39 Packard completes 41 years in the house and the green limo completes 7 years.

Sometime last month a gentleman surfaced with a keen request to part with this Packard I was restoring. I was surprised at his interest and as always I quoted a price which in my mind was a fair price for all the hardwork I had put in and a nice pat on my back if I net it. As expected he didn't say anything and disappeared. I got busy getting a new battery made for the car as I now wanted to finish the paintwork and trim etc and finally get the beauty onroad. The gentleman reappeared in a weeks time expressing a keen intent to buy the car after some negotiation. I told myself if I stick to my price chances are he'll walk away. So I stood my ground and flatly refused to budge a penny. To my surprise he agreed and I found myself in a peculiar situation where on one side was a car I had nurtured like a baby bringing it back to life and on the other was a sum of money that clearly validated all the effort and hardwork that had gone into it. It was a vindication of my belief that I was unlocking real value as I toiled laboriously on the junk.

I always believed I was creating value and here was someone wiling to put his money to my work. I agreed and the car was sold. As I pulled her out and gave it a final wash I couldn't help but admire the car's grandeur even in that unfinished state.

Now she belongs to someone who has the resources to import all that she needs by way of trim and new white wall tyres, glossy paint and uphostery, hopefully to emerge soon as a stunning beauty.

It would be inappropriate on my part to continue with the detailed restoration details as this beauty now belongs to someone else

Here are the pictures of one of my life's most cherished experiences of bringing back to life a magnificent 1938 Packard

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-mvc104f_2.jpg

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-mvc224f_2.jpg

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-mvc222f_2.jpg

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-mvc216f_2.jpg

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-mvc101f.jpg

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-mvc103f_2.jpg

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-mvc218f_2.jpg

The story of the experience of restoring a car does not end.

Just to guage the interest people would have in my Merc I had placed an ad on the net and was flooded by atleast 200 enquiries. So I've decided its safe for me to invest money into doing her up properly as I can always unlock value should I choose to. I've decided to do a ground up restoration of my 1960 Mercedes. I've stripped the car bare and getting it ready for some sandblasting of the innards and floorpan before the body work.

As always I will photograph all the stages and document all work done. Once again it will be a pleasure to share it with all of you.
Old 12th June 2008, 11:38   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Your Feelings - When You Drive Your Restored Classic

I am nearing the end of (as if it can ever end !) restoring my third Fiat, just the way I wanted it. Since the last one week, I am getting some feelings of what I will experience when I will actually drive it (this does not cover test drives or drives to and from the garage which are numerous). How will I press the clutch ? How will I shift gears ? What feeling my hand will get through the gear lever knob ? Will I get the ever evasive "smooth silent surge of power" or will it elude me one more time ? Would a change of axle ratio help ? In short, would I have achieved what I set out to achieve ? Many of you have successfully restored many cars and must have experienced similar feelings. Let's toss our experiences around. I am sure we will have a great time doing this.

Please accept my best personal regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 12th June 2008, 11:46   #94
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Let's toss our experiences around. I am sure we will have a great time doing this.
In my case as I work on the cars myself and know the machine intimately driving the car after working on it is a very special experience as I know exactly how every component is working to make the action possible. Its almost like you merge with the machine making the overall experience as ecstatic as a conductor who gets his orchestra to play right. Its simply music all the way, and the ultimate experience for any automobile enthusiast. I would always recommend one learns to overhaul a car if possible. Its a mindblowing experience when you get it right and drive it.

Last edited by DKG : 12th June 2008 at 11:48.
Old 12th June 2008, 11:54   #95
BHPian

Quote:
I am nearing the end of (as if it can ever end !) restoring my third Fiat, just the way I wanted it. Since the last one week, I am getting some feelings of what I will experience when I will actually drive it (this does not cover test drives or drives to and from the garage which are numerous). How will I press the clutch ? How will I shift gears ? What feeling my hand will get through the gear lever knob ? Will I get the ever evasive "smooth silent surge of power" or will it elude me one more time ? Would a change of axle ratio help ? In short, would I have achieved what I set out to achieve ? Many of you have successfully restored many cars and must have experienced similar feelings. Let's toss our experiences around. I am sure we will have a great time doing this.

Please accept my best personal regards,

Behram Dhabhar

sir
i always feel very proud whenever i drive my Fiat
i got the same feeling when sometime back i had put in Hub caps and new upholestry and paint
the feeling ...cant be explained in words
Old 12th June 2008, 13:14   #96
BHPian

Dont really what I will finally experience once i finally get the car I want and start restoring it the way i want. As of now, collecting parts I may need,and the occasional raised brow from my family members as i pick up parts and bring them home.
Old 12th June 2008, 16:41   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm experiencing pretty much the same kind of feeling putting my '62 Herald back together!
I intend to post a separate thread with all pics. of it........one fine day!
Incidentally the only major challenge I'm facing as of now is getting a remake of the existing dashboard - getting a replacement is impossible! These dashes came only with early Heralds as opposed to the later wood-veneered ones (which can be easily remade) of later ('63 onwards) models.
Old 12th June 2008, 18:15   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Request to moderators - I request the moderators to keep the - YOUR FEELINGS, WHEN YOU DRIVE YOUR RESTORED CLASSIC" thread separate from this one. The experience of restoring a car is an activity. My request is because in the new thread, the feelings that members will feel will come out whereas in this thread it is the experiences which have to come out. Anyway, I leave the final decision to the moderators and will respect it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 18th August 2009, 10:59   #99
BHPian

This thread has been very very educative, not only from the point of view of the banter between Julian and DKG, but also DKG's systematic and detailed recording of the restoration. DKG, I particularly like the way you have described the engine overhaul, along with the photos. I am about to embark on a DIY restoration and plan to do it your way, methodically and systematically. I was somewhat diffident about tackling the engine, but after seeing your thread, I think I'll gained enough confidence to tackle the project on my own.
Old 18th August 2009, 21:54   #100
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
I am about to embark on a DIY restoration
Wonderful. Trust me this will turn out to be one of your finest experiences when it comes to cars.

There's a very simple rule I would recommend you follow, and you will never make any mistakes. All cars are built to a certain set of specifications and tolerances. Just make sure every component you work on falls within the mfg's recommended specs. The end result will be delightful !

Invaluable in your endeavour would be the parts manual and the workshop manual too

Wishing you the very best and as they say "Do it once, do it right!!"
Old 4th December 2009, 14:20   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...YOUR FEELINGS, WHEN YOU DRIVE YOUR RESTORED CLASSIC" thread separate from this one...
Behram & others,

Please do use this existing thread for the above :
Driving a Classic : Your Experience

cya
R
Old 14th January 2010, 22:00   #102
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

1903 Renault - The Journey to Bangalore

After DKG's wonderful story, I hope that this story will be interesting to all. I am writing this more as a witness rather than a restorer hence the story could lack DKG's intensity. This story is about one of the most challenging restorations that I have witnessed till date.

People have written/posted on many occassions the pictures of the 1903 Renault currently at The Manjusha Museum, Dharmasthala. However very few people know the journey of this great car to Bangalore and its condition when it arrived here. So the story goes....

In 1991-92, Mr. Papanna a successful business man had been bitten by the vintage car bug having witnessed the resurrection of his 1947 Riley car by Mr. Sripathy, which incidently won an award in a KVCCC event for restoration. Knowing Mr. Sripathy's knowledge of cars and expertise he placed his confidence in his judgement and mandated him to find more rare cars. They were able to buy the 1934 Kolhapur Sunbeam and the 1937 Holkar Skoda.

Mr. Papanna expressed his desire to own a Veteran car. Hence when Mr. Sripathy went to Delhi to buy the 1937 Buick 8 of Purnea he started to make enquiries for any artillery wheeled vehicle. One of their acquaintances informed them that there was a very old car in Bikaner, a 1903 Renault in dismantled condition and the owner was willing to sell if he got the right price. The owner of this car was a manganese mine owner at Bikaner. So from Delhi Mr. Sripathy went to Bikaner saw the car in completely dismantled condition. It was believed to have been dismantled more than 50 year before. The car was orginally owned by the Maharaja of Bikaner, HRH Ganga Singhji. It was believed that he gifted this car to one of his ministers in the late 1920's after he acquired a period car. We do not know how the car came to the mine owner. Anyways, after he made his offer he returned to Bangalore as they could not settle on an acceptable price. However he left his correspondence address in case the owner changed his mind.

In early Jan 1992 they got a telegram from the owner that he was agreeable for the quoted price if they come and take the car before a certain date in Jan. Mr. Sripathy immediately left for Bikaner from Bangalore and acquired the car.

Since the car was in a completely dismantled condition, it was decided to hire a vehicle in Bikaner and drive through to Bangalore. Hence they hired a Willy's Wagoner and filled its rear with all the loose parts, engine, radiator and wheels! The chassis and bonnet were loaded on the roof!

The first set of photos covers the condtion the car arrived in Jan 1992 at Bangalore. Over the next few days I will post pictures of the restoration of Chassis, engine, the body being built and finally the car itself.

Details of the pictures
  1. The Willy's Wagoner in which the 1903 Renault was transported
  2. The rear of the Wagoner- Note the bonnet and chassis on the roof
  3. All the other parts fitted inside the Wagoner
  4. Some loose parts after they landed in Bangalore
  5. The Chassis
  6. The Differential
  7. The Artillery Wheels
  8. The Mud Guard
  9. Bonnet
  10. Gear Box
  11. Engine - note the exposed crank shaft as the aluminium engine was corroded
  12. The crank shaft and single piston
  13. The corroded engine pieces
Cheers

KPS
Attached Thumbnails
The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-wagoner-front.jpg  

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-wagoner-back.jpg  

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-wagoner-inside.jpg  

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-pieces-car.jpg  

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-chassis.jpg  

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-differntial.jpg  

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-wheels.jpg  

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-mud-guard.jpg  

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-gear-box.jpg  

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-engine.jpg  

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-crank.jpg  

The Experience of Restoring a Vintage/Classic Car or Bike-engine-cover.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 14th January 2010, 22:10   #103
Senior - BHPian

Holy Mother !! This is a project only for those strong in heart, and strong in will !
Just seeing the assortment of parts made me marvel at the man's guts .
A most interesting story - KPS, I'm glued. Please continue as soon as you can..
Old 15th January 2010, 08:51   #104
Senior - BHPian

I echo the sentiments of superselect and am paying a visit to shripati's asap.
Old 15th January 2010, 10:35   #105
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
very few people know the journey of this great car to Bangalore and its condition when it arrived here. So the story goes....
My goodness, that such a heap of parts could eventually find life as a complete car !! Truly amazing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks