Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2008, 08:49   #16
BHPian

Might be off topic but might help. This is regarding transfering a 1961 motorcycle from AP to KA. This is my plan: Restore the motorcycle, take it back to AP, get hold of a middle man (makes the job quicker), transfer the bike in my name or a friend's who lives there, get a NOC, insurance, get the bike back to KA, pay the road tax here and ride it. Might sound easy and simple and can be that way if you willing to shell out some money and know the "right" middle men. If this fails, I would just use the number of one my "similar" motorcycles registered here locally and ride it.
Old 14th November 2008, 09:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
I have a 1942 Ford Willys Jeep. Recently I went to the insurance company (United India) to get insurance. They were ready to give me only 3rd party insurance. As per them if I wanted comprehensive insurance, I had to get a certificate from the Vintage club saying that the jeep was a vintage vehicle.

Can anyone tell me the prodedure for getting comprehensive insurance for a vintage vehicle?

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.
You need a surveyor's report along with the valuation report from the surveyor,(At your cost, insurance company will not pay for this.) which you need to submit to insurance company along with the proposal form for insurance.

My advice:- go for only TP insurance as this would not be much time consuming and easy too.
Old 14th November 2008, 13:19   #18
BHPian

What is this thing about getting a certificate from the vintage car club?
Another thing is that if you get Third party insurance, you cant get comprehensive insurance after that. This is what was told to me by the insurance company, I dont understand the reason.
Old 14th November 2008, 15:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is this thing about getting a certificate from the vintage car club?
Another thing is that if you get Third party insurance, you cant get comprehensive insurance after that. This is what was told to me by the insurance company, I dont understand the reason.
I think what they are asking is that you have to produce them the certificate that your car is a member of the Vintage Car Club. (May be but, still get it conformed from them)

TP insurance mean that if your car is damaging any third party (Life or Property only not the car) then the claim is payable to them (Not to you or your car or even other person's car.)

Comprehensive insurance mean that above TP is covered along with that your own car is also covered for losses. Theft is also covered for your car.
Old 19th November 2008, 12:16   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
I think what they are asking is that you have to produce them the certificate that your car is a member of the Vintage Car Club. (May be but, still get it conformed from them)

TP insurance mean that if your car is damaging any third party (Life or Property only not the car) then the claim is payable to them (Not to you or your car or even other person's car.)

Comprehensive insurance mean that above TP is covered along with that your own car is also covered for losses. Theft is also covered for your car.
Thats what they way. They want a certificate saying that the Jeep is a vintage vehicle. Only then can I get comprehensive insurance. I guess the Vintage club can give this certificate, but I'm wondering why will they?
Old 19th November 2008, 12:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats what they way. They want a certificate saying that the Jeep is a vintage vehicle. Only then can I get comprehensive insurance. I guess the Vintage club can give this certificate, but I'm wondering why will they?
Vintage club will give you. You need to ask them to give you. But which club you are talking abt. and they need it from which club you need to ask them as well.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:07   #22
BHPian

I am not sure if any insurance co in India, Pvt or public sector would issue a comprehensive policy for a vintage car. The problem is about valuation. I had faced this problem when I was invited to take my 1930 Austin to participate in an International show in Malaysia. The carnet rules specified a comprehensive insurance.
Old 19th November 2008, 16:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
I am not sure if any insurance co in India, Pvt or public sector would issue a comprehensive policy for a vintage car. The problem is about valuation. I had faced this problem when I was invited to take my 1930 Austin to participate in an International show in Malaysia. The carnet rules specified a comprehensive insurance.
I would like to ask you sir, At that time did you survey the car?
Did any one form insurance company told you for survey of your car?

Because according to my knowledge insurance on our car is done on Insured Declared Value (IDV) if there is a car on which the book value is zero or i would say very less then there are professional surveyor's in the market who can derive at the current market value of that car.

Remember you don't have to reduce the value of the car like we do it in the regular car. but time and again you have to increase the IDV.
Old 20th November 2008, 16:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
So did you opt for TP insurance?
Old 16th August 2009, 04:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I recently purchased a 1960 fiat select in my home state Chhattisgarh. have got the FC, NOC, Transfer in my name and reregistration from MP no to CG no.

I am bringing the car to Bangalore, would I be able to ride the car without changing to Karnataka registration by mere paying the road tax.

Also what would be the road tax like, considering I bought the car for under 50 K.

Further can I also use the original registration (MPT XXXX) here in Bangalore will it be legal.
Old 15th January 2010, 17:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post

Allotting a new number to an old car is a shame since a huge part of its history and past is lost, and also i personally feel, the newer reg series do not suit these old beauties.
You are right JayD
Yes, I saw many Guys at Coimbatore auto Expo, just after seeing my "HONDA CB 125-K3" ( 1971), were discussing things like " Hey..its nothing but a modified Hero Honda,
with TWIN EXHAUST PIPES,.."even if some other guy says something informative,the other one justify s his claim by Showing the ,so called computer number " TN- _ _-AX-_ _ _ _"
This is a kind of misleading, I felt ( though as you aware, I have displayed facts & figures of that machine in the show).
ps: That's why till now I have not re-registered my AP & KL ones
Old 15th January 2010, 18:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Hi,

I recently purchased a 1960 fiat select in my home state Chhattisgarh. have got the FC, NOC, Transfer in my name and reregistration from MP no to CG no.

I am bringing the car to Bangalore, would I be able to ride the car without changing to Karnataka registration by mere paying the road tax.

Also what would be the road tax like, considering I bought the car for under 50 K.

Further can I also use the original registration (MPT XXXX) here in Bangalore will it be legal.

How can you use an MPT plate when you have already got another state number CG-.It is highly illegal, and can be risky also.I dont know why you asked that in the first place
Old 15th January 2010, 20:13   #28
BHPian

If the vehicle is already in your name, then you can just pay the road tax here in Karnataka and use the same old registration but be prepared to be stopped at every check point.
Old 15th January 2010, 20:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
If the vehicle is already in your name, then you can just pay the road tax here in Karnataka and use the same old registration but be prepared to be stopped at every check point.

I don't think they will stop a classic or a vintage car for an issue of the registration.
Old 15th January 2010, 20:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
I don't think they will stop a classic or a vintage car for an issue of the registration.

I dont know how you can so with confidence.
Actually regarding classic/vintage cars, thanks to unscrupulous dealers et.al the authorities have become very cautious these days and check the documents .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks