Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2008, 01:45   #1
BHPian

Procedures to move Vintage/ Classic cars between states in India

I had gathered bits of information from various threads. I am still very unsure of the procedure and thought such a thread may help other people like me.

So here are a few questions.

1) What papers do you look for other than the RC book and NOC.
2) What taxes are to be paid if you move from state to state and how much( for a vintage car, Classic car made in India)
3) What is RTO tax? How does this affect a transfer?
4) Anything else?

5) So, you find a parts car. No papers what so ever. If you want to move this to a different state can you?
6) How much would it cost to transport a car from say Mumbai to Bangalore or Chennai to Bangalore.

I would really appreciate anybody who could fill me in. It would also be useful if people shared their experiences here
Old 26th March 2008, 09:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

The VCCCI (Vintage and Classic Car Club of India) has been lobbying for a while with good results. They have worked out a seperate tax system for vintage cars, as well as insurance. Thats makes it much much cheaper to own and insure. Also, when transferring from one state to another you can retain the original numberplate. You could contact the club or the WIAA for more concrete details.
Old 26th March 2008, 10:10   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The VCCCI (Vintage and Classic Car Club of India) has been lobbying for a while with good results. They have worked out a seperate tax system for vintage cars, as well as insurance. Thats makes it much much cheaper to own and insure. Also, when transferring from one state to another you can retain the original numberplate. You could contact the club or the WIAA for more concrete details.
Wow, thats great news! Although, I guess their idea of "vintage" cars is quite different from ours'! Therefore not sure if this is applicable to our kind of cars....??
Old 26th March 2008, 11:02   #4
BHPian

As far as Tamilnadu is concerned the RTO chaps are least cooperative. They will make a huge fuss for out station cars. For example, I bought a Chrysler 1948 from Madurai, an old TN car (MDU regn). Tax arrears for 12 yrs. I was prepared to pay arrears with penalty. Car is a non runner.RTO is refusing transfer bcos I am not able to present the car for FC & Smog Check.

I have interacted with VCCCI. Their advice is relevant for Maharashtra. Road Tax is a state subject. Hence other states have the option of not accepting VCCCI's advice.Insurance Cos are no better.New Pvt sector Cos do not insure Old cars.If you have the Contact PSU insurance Cos help.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th March 2008 at 07:47.
Old 26th March 2008, 11:43   #5
BHPian

We have to request the CM in every state to help all Vintage Cars collectors to help waive all charges, taxes, etc. if any body wants to move/buy car from one state to another and restore it. After all this will add value to the place wherever this car is kept and it will help promoting
tourism industry as well. It is getting known to all, that India is home to largest collection of Vintage & Classic cars, if above problems were resolved then it will even grow bigger.
Old 26th March 2008, 11:53   #6
BHPian

This is not a priority for any politician. Even life tax, waiver of Smog Check, FC is not being accepted. Those bloaks are just not interested
Old 26th March 2008, 14:57   #7
BHPian

Here is my recent experience moving 68 beetle from BLR to HYD.
1. You need copy of RC/NOC
2. Transport company makes a big fuss about insurance. If the vehicle does not have one, you can buy a transit insurance that will cover the move upto destination. I don't know if there is a rule on how much they can charge but I declared the value as 1L and they were willing to charge me around 500 rupees.
3. Transportation charges for smaller cars like santro & maruti is around 6K.
4. In my case I had to arrange for a wider truck because the bettle wouldn't fit into a regular sized one and it has costed a lot.
Old 26th March 2008, 16:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
This is not a priority for any politician. Even life tax, waiver of Smog Check, FC is not being accepted. Those bloaks are just not interested
Ananthji, there is a minor correction, you should have written" This is not a priority for any bureaucrat " .because these matters are dealt at the official level and not at the Political level.To give an example , in KERALA, very recently folowing Computerisation of Motor Vehicle department, they have started converting all old RC books( which contain the history of the car including previous REGN nos( which may include princely state Nos like TCT( TRAVANCORE COCHIN TRIVANDRUM) and previous Ownership details )) to a Single sheet LAMINATED card which has no mention of any such detail and just states the name of the present owner as FIRST OWNER.They just take the old RC Book and destroy it without knowing its archival value!!!This is an official decision and Politicians have nothing to do with it.
To say the least , they are are at best HELPFUL because they want not to displease the Voters.
Old 12th April 2008, 00:30   #9
BHPian

I found some useful information on the Bangalore RTO's web page. I have cut out information that could help people. For the complete details visit their website (Ugly but helpful)

QUESTIONS RELATING TO MIGRATION OF OTHER STATE VEHICLES INTO KARNATAKA STATE:

What I have to do when I bring an other state vehicle to Karnataka State ?
-Change of address has to be intimated within 30 days before the Jurisdictional Regional Transport office.

If the vehicle is purchased from outside state bearing other state registration mark then Transfer of ownership has to be intimated within 30 days before the Jurisdictional Regional Transport office.

Before using the vehicle in the state of Karnataka you should pay Motor vehicle Tax.To know about this,

The first thing to do is to approach the nearest Regional Transport Office along with the Original Registration Certificate, Insurance and Emission Testing Certificate.

You approach the Help Desk or the Public relation officer, who will guide to the concerned officer/counter.

At the counter you will be guided about the procedure, forms to be filed, tax and fees to be paid.

How the tax is assessed?
-The tax to be paid will be assessed on the basis of the age and cubic capacity of the vehicle as on the date of migration in respect of cars and motorcycles. In respect of light motor vehicles, which are registered subsequent to 01/04/2003, the tax will be assessed on the basis of cost and age of the vehicle at the time of registration. So please remember to produce the invoice of the vehicle before the tax assessing officer.

Where and how can I pay the motor vehicle tax, in respect of the my other state vehicle ?
-You have to fill a form no. kmvt 14 for this purpose and obtain the acceptance of the tax assessing officer and pay it in the cash counter.
If the amount of tax is more than Rs 3000/ - You have to obtain a demand draft in the name of the ‘REGIONAL TRANSPORT OFFICER’ Bangalore (if the place of residence falls under the jurisdiction of Bangalore City ) or the location of the concerned Regional Transport Office.

Whether NOC (NO objection Certificate) is required for payment of Tax ?
-NOC is not a requirement for payment of tax .

Whether NOC (NO objection Certificate) is required for recording change of address in respect of an other state vehicle ?
-NOC is not a requirement for recording change of address in respect of an other state vehicle ?

When an NOC is required in respect of an other state vehicle ?
NOC is required to be produced,

1.When you want to obtain Karnataka Registration Mark

2. When transfer of ownership is to be recorded in the certificate of Registration.

I Could not obtain NOC at the time of shifing of my vehicle, I have paid tax, and obtained change of address in the certificate of registration in Karnataka , Is there a way to obtain NOC from previous registering authority ?
Yes . You fill form CMVR 28 in quadruplicate with pencil print of the chassis no. on all the forms , and send form CMVR 28 in triplicate to the previous registering authority along with original registration certificate, Insurance, emission testing certificate BY RPAD. Keep the acknowledgement from the previous Registering authority for having received your application and the 4 th copy of NOC application safely . You will receive the NOC from the concerned Registering Authority.

When should I obtain Karnataka Registration Mark?

A Vehicle is not permitted to ply with other state registration mark beyond 11 months from the date of migration . So you should apply and obtain the Karnataka Registration mark before that period.

What forms to be filed for Transfer of ownership ?
Form CMVR 29 in duplicate , CMVR 30 , CMVR 27, KMVT 14 are to be filled up One photo has to be affixed on form CMVR 27 .

What is the procedure for obtaining Fitness Certificate for Transport Certificate ? For Transport Vehicle ? Renewal of Fitness Certificate.

All transport vehicles shall carry valid fitness certificate to ply on road. The owner shall apply for issue of fitness certificate in form KMV 20 along with prescribed fee, Registration Certificate, Insurance Certificate, Tax Card, Pollution Under Control Certificate, Permit and produce the vehicle for inspection in a good condition. The Senior /Inspector of motor vehicle will inspect the vehicle particularly on following aspects:

· front axle and steering,

· front spring,

· fuel system,

· electric system,

· engine performance,

· silencer, transmission,

· rear springs

· tyres

· chasiss frame

· body

· brakes

· compulsory equipments

· requisite equipments

· cleanliness

· weighment of vehicle

· any other observations or defects worth mentioning.

The validity of renewal of Fitness certificate is one year at a time.
Old 27th May 2008, 14:22   #10
BHPian

Can I keep the original number ?

When we re-register the original number will be changed to new ....KA01 MC 2456 etc..
Is there any way to retain original number ?
Old 27th May 2008, 15:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
When we re-register the original number will be changed to new ....KA01 MC 2456 etc..
Is there any way to retain original number ?
I don't think so. When u transfer the cars ownership from one state to another, you are usually allotted a new number. But for eg, if you are buying a car from bangalore to cochin, if u have an address to show in bangalore with add proof, i think the car can retain the old number.

Allotting a new number to an old car is a shame since a huge part of its history and past is lost, and also i personally feel, the newer reg series do not suit these old beauties.
Old 4th July 2008, 20:37   #12
BHPian

Paper work difficulties for heritage vehicles

I bought a 1954 model car from out of state, all the papers were ok, but the RTO in Karnataka wants orignal invoice to know the value of the car and accordingly fix life time tax for it. do any of you people faced this problem, Help!

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread merged. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th July 2008 at 20:43. Reason: Search before starting thread
Old 4th July 2008, 23:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Incidentally I have begun to wonder if, legalities aside, an NOC is necessary at all for vintage/classic vehicles, which we use once in a blue moon, that too mainly for shows?
Because one thing is that if we take an NOC, we'll have to get the no. changed once and for all, and I find it a pity especially when the said registration happens to be a historically significant one, eg. the MS/MD regn. of the erstwhile Madras state/presidency!
In any case the fact that you got the RC with the vehicle implies that you acquired it legally and its not a stolen vehicle or anything.

Only you cant get the fitness done after it expires, but again, the occasion to check that for such vehicles also hardly occurs!
There are quite a few prominent collectors who own cars/bikes that remain with out-of-state regn.

Last edited by Stanher : 4th July 2008 at 23:02.
Old 6th July 2008, 11:50   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Incidentally I have begun to wonder if, legalities aside, an NOC is necessary at all for vintage/classic vehicles, which we use once in a blue moon, that too mainly for shows?
Because one thing is that if we take an NOC, we'll have to get the no. changed once and for all, and I find it a pity especially when the said registration happens to be a historically significant one, eg. the MS/MD regn. of the erstwhile Madras state/presidency!
In any case the fact that you got the RC with the vehicle implies that you acquired it legally and its not a stolen vehicle or anything.

Only you cant get the fitness done after it expires, but again, the occasion to check that for such vehicles also hardly occurs!
There are quite a few prominent collectors who own cars/bikes that remain with out-of-state regn.
Rather aptly put, Stanher. Some people are particular that the registration should be in their name. Others don't mind fictitious records! For me, the book should be original (or a genuine duplicate issue) and some documents to show that it's been a legal purchase. If transfer to my name is possible, so much the better.

Incidentally, I keep hearing noises from clubs, and their denizens, that representations to the transport authorities have been, or are being made, to obtain exemptions for heritage vehicles. I hope, if that happens someday, heritage of the 70s and 80s (and sliding...) aren't overlooked!
Old 13th November 2008, 22:34   #15
BHPian

Insurance for vintage vehicles

I have a 1942 Ford Willys Jeep. Recently I went to the insurance company (United India) to get insurance. They were ready to give me only 3rd party insurance. As per them if I wanted comprehensive insurance, I had to get a certificate from the Vintage club saying that the jeep was a vintage vehicle.

Can anyone tell me the prodedure for getting comprehensive insurance for a vintage vehicle?

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th November 2008 at 23:14. Reason: Similar thread exist, use search before opening new topic. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks