Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2008, 12:22   #16

@ awini

thanx for the info man.

You founded which one? Automotive trust of India or Vintage car club of India?
Old 1st April 2008, 12:50   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Control View Post
thanx for the info man.

You founded which one? Automotive trust of India or Vintage car club of India?
im a founder member of HMCI
Old 1st April 2008, 13:04   #18
BANNED

Chennai Clubs.

Thank You Awini & Thank you Cruise Control for your comments on above.

Yes, this is a forum to express one's opinions and not meant to be personal in nature. I stand by what I have said and will be back shortly with more on that, point for point. These are facts from friends of mine who have had the experience mentioned in my note. The judging is appauling, to say the least. The judge talks about movable slats on a Jaguar 1947-Mark 4 radiator? It never had them. Had this argument with him, but he insisted that they had them. Now, is that not lack of knowledge? Yes, the cars that got concours prizes were certainly not worthy.

Funnily, I have also been the founder member of the Dubai Vintage & Classic Car Club, started by me and a friend Ashok Sardana in 1993, and we held atleast 5 events each year, and all major events. Today it is a part of the Dubai Shopping Festival event. I do know what judging is all about. I also know a good bit cars and own some nice cars too.

The so called Club Commitee Members first of all lack much knowledge of cars and some members did not even own a car when club was formed. These are the people judging as to who should be members of the club? How do these commitee members judge the passion of a person wanting to be a member? By the car he owns? or by his personality? Or by the amount of money he has?

What events have the two clubs in Chennai held in the last year? Nohing to talk about really.

There are a number of nice cars in Chennai, but most owners do not bring them out to the rallies, as it is a time where a lot of egos clash.

The fact is that, the second club was formed out of a clash of egos.

I have stated facts and have no problem saying it publicly. I am sure that a number of other people will also voice their opinions in time.

Mr. Ananth has stated and confirmed that the proposed member has to have approval, and seconded. What does that mean.??? It confirms what I have stated.

We all have a right to state our opinion. If incorrect, state your comment. Let the readers make their own judgement.
Old 1st April 2008, 13:10   #19
BANNED

Delhi & Kanpur Clubs.

Hi Cruise Control. In response to the name of the three clubs, here is the info.

1. The oldest is the Vintage & Classic Car Club of India-This has a lot of members, but do not know numbers. It is run along with help from the people at Statesman Newspaper.

2. The second is the HMSCI.

3. The newest being the Heritage Foundation. The main patron I believe is Mr.K.C.Anand. Not sure though.

As for the Kanpur members, none of them on this forum. I can send you a PM, with some contact details. How about that? The Kanpur club is small, but the members are passionate enthusiasts. Met a wonderful gropu of people there.
Old 1st April 2008, 13:11   #20

This is with reference to the exchanges between Xoticar , C S Ananth & Awini. I entirely reciprocate Awini's comments on the matter. This is a forum for frank & free exchanges of ideas thoughts & opinions & as long as basic rules are observed & common courtesy upheld C S Ananth should get off his high horse.
I am also a vintage car owner & modesty forbids my making any claims
but most of Xoticar comments are true. I have seen some deplorable judging at the Chennai events. The screening of members is also true.
The same cars win prizes. All manner of tall claims ( laughable to all but the most naive) re the rarity , history and value of certain cars are made.
Sometimes breakaway clubs have to be formed but in Chennai the other club practises exactly what lead to the break.
But then we Indians are a politicking lot so while I participate in the events of both the clubs for fellowship & to give the general public
a decent show , I would never allow my car to be judged
Old 1st April 2008, 13:12   #21
BANNED

Delhi Clubs.

Hi Awini, thanks, you just confirmed my note to Cruise Control.
Old 1st April 2008, 13:29   #22

@ awini

I have heard, that Delhi has got a host of big Vintage & Classic Car collectors like Mr. K T Tulsi, Mr. Titus, Mr. SB Jatti and seeing your garage i believe you are also one of these big guys.

According to you, how many vintage cars would be there in Delhi?

How do i contact, the 3 clubs, you have mentioned- HMCI, Vintage Car Club of India and Automotive Heritage Trust? any phone nos. or email ids?

Note from Mod : Please take the time to type out your posts in full words as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid the use of SMS language (r = are, u = you, etc), and please take the time to re-read your post for typos before submitting.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd April 2008 at 01:47. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 1st April 2008, 13:38   #23
BANNED

Chennai Clubs.

Thank You Harry Weslake for confirming my comments made on this forum.

This is a hobby for God's sake. Lets keep egos out of this and enjoy the hobby. Will not have my cars judged either. Willing to show my cars for enthusiasts to enjoy and to enjoy motoring history.

There should be one platform where EVERYONE can bring their cars, no matter what the car.

In Dubai it is against the law to collect money to run a club. We have run the club with memebers and some hotels sponsoring events. It has run beautifully for so many years without a single buck in the bank.

Out here, members use the club for their own benefit. Where does the membership money go? There were claims of the second club getting a waiver on tax for old cars. What happned to that? Lots of tall claims, but nothing to talk about.

You cannot judge a book by its cover.

I know a lot of people who are passionate about their cars. The club commitee cannot be the judge. This is a form of Apartheid. Being choosy of members is WRONG.

Have heard some unacceptable comments made by senior commitee members. Such a club would be detrimental to this wonderful hobby.
Old 1st April 2008, 13:38   #24
BHPian

Criuse Control !! I know it for a fact that we have 247 members.I am on the committee of the club along with Doc.Apart from Mallya & Doc, the Khodays have a collection of close to 200 cars.

We have not had a major National event for years now.We regularly have the runs in town, with a participation of 60/70 cars everytime and about 6/10 motorbikes.
Old 1st April 2008, 14:34   #25

@ xoticar

kindly PM me as u have mentioned.
Old 1st April 2008, 15:20   #26
BANNED

Kanpur Club.

Cruise Control, I have sent you PM.
Old 1st April 2008, 15:21   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Gentlemen, let us refrain from digging up unnecessary dirt on Indian clubs. It is a well established fact that massaging egos is a huge deal in most of the Indian club circles, its been happening in every club I know, however big or small. No point denying the fact that the problem exists. Many large collectors wouldnt bring their cars unless certain demands were met, and if they werent, invariably the turn out at an event would be nothing impressive, making the event itself less appealing. Its a vicious circle. Judging too is a shaky topic, moreso because of minor variations in the production cycle of a car which might not have been documented, besides ofcourse the judges personal opinion. I do agree it is always beneficial to have a completely neutral judge, for example when FIVA officials and the 2 Pakistani gentlemen oversaw the Bombay event a few years back. Finally the judge too is a human being, and capable of error. He might genuinely believe that 47 Jags had moving slats or whatever, and hence he thinks he is doing his job. Just like a cricketing Umpire sometimes gives an incorrect decison.

Either ways, the most important bit at an event is showing up in large numbers, completing the whole course so that the towns people can enjoy the rare sight of scores of classics proudly rumbling along city streets together. The events also act as motivation to get the cars ready in time, which is true in many cases. I appeal to everyone to leave the "my way or the highway" attitude off the forum, please? Remember why we are on the forum in the first place.
Old 1st April 2008, 16:18   #28

@ karlosdeville

very aptly said. I second you.
Old 1st April 2008, 18:50   #29
BHPian

In every club right of admission is reserved. The person who is posting this was invited & he chose not to become a member. well that was his decision & nobody can question it. But why continue to make unnecessary damaging comments. Is this necessary? Can we not put an end to this?

OK xoticar; only you know about cars and clubs . The others are ignorant owners.Does this satisfy you? Let us stop this arguement. I am not for it any more.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st April 2008 at 19:18.
Old 1st April 2008, 19:09   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Gentlemen, lets leave it at this, theres no point dragging it on. Please!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks