Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 7th January 2020, 07:56   #166
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: History of Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
An interesting newspaper clipping from my dad's files, which he cut out as a young boy in the 1960s.
Little did the author of the article know that:

1. The Ambassador would continue for another 40 years

2. Chevrolet would finally arrive 4 decades later...only to leave eventually!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 11:17   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An interesting newspaper clipping from my dad's files, which he cut out as a young boy in the 1960s.

The plant will assemble 200 cars a month, 150 of which will be exported to the middle east.

Can't help but smile at the scales and numbers of that time.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 16:19   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

In a 1948 newspaper I was going through the classifieds, this Buick advertised caught my eye. Description states that it was assembled in America, and uncreated here. This corroborates earlier speculation that Buicks too had some degree of local assembly by General Motors in Bombay.

Name:  buic02  Copy.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  180.0 KB

Last edited by karlosdeville : 11th March 2020 at 16:20.
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 16:57   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

We don't have an exact date so far for the launch of the Standard Herald in India. I've assumed it to be around 1961/62, here we have a car being advertised in the 1960s, mentioned as a late 1961 registered model. So that narrows it down a bit

History of Cars in India-heral.jpg
Old 11th March 2020, 18:05   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We don't have an exact date so far for the launch of the Standard Herald in India. I've assumed it to be around 1961/62, here we have a car being advertised in the 1960s, mentioned as a late 1961 registered model. So that narrows it down a bit

Attachment 1979028
I have photos of my Uncle's Standard Herald dated 1961 or 1962. It had the red and white combination colour. When I visit my aunt I can take a snap of those old photos.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 10:09   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I have photos of my Uncle's Standard Herald dated 1961 or 1962. It had the red and white combination colour. When I visit my aunt I can take a snap of those old photos.
Please do, looking forward. The two tone options I think went away by 63.

Here's an interesting article on the commercial vehicle manufacturing industry from the 1950s.
History of Cars in India-commer.jpg
Old 31st May 2020, 16:24   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I recently found a 1966 issue of the Illustrated weekly of India, and came across this neat article on the Arvind car (mentioned earlier elsewhere on the forum, though I cannot recall where).
Thanks to Jeevan Thomas for sending this article in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
The story is set in the 1960s. The king of Thiruvithamkoor, Sree Chithira Thirunal, wanted to have a car of his liking. It was 1962, when the Portuguese had been driven out of Goa. A visit to Goa would would help procure elegant European and American cars, the king was informed. The king's private secP V Thampi and a well-known automobile engineer of that time A K Balakrishna Menon set off to Goa. They returned with the concept of Aravind, the first-ever car to be built in Kerala.
History of Cars in India-arvindcar.jpg

Quote:
It was basically an amalgamation of all the features and design elements from the cars that they saw in Goa.
History of Cars in India-arvindcar8.jpg

Quote:
Here is the story of Aravind that ought to find a place in the history of the automobile industry in India, courtesy the report that appeared in the Illustrated Weekly without a by-line.
History of Cars in India-arvindcar9.jpg

Quote:
When they returned to Thiruvananthapuram, Menon prepared a detailed sketch and blueprint and presented before the king. A contract was drawn up, which said that if the king doesn't like the end-product, Menon was to bear all the expenses.
History of Cars in India-arvindcar7.jpg

Quote:
Six blacksmiths at Menon's workshop worked as his assistants on the project. There was no mechanised equipment then, and everything was done by bare hands. Besides, funds were also hard to come by.
Quote:
even the officials of the palace did not have much faith in Menon.
History of Cars in India-arvindcar2.jpg

Quote:
But Menon didn't give up, and in 10 months his baby was born. It was a large car. It was not named Aravind but Palace Special.
History of Cars in India-arvindcar3.jpg

Quote:
The king came out and was surprised to see the car of his dreams parked in front of him. He showered praises on Menon and was ready to get behind the wheels.
History of Cars in India-arvindcar1.jpg

Quote:
Menonís fame reached foreign shores and even the US. Media hailed him; even Automobile International magazine carried stories about him.
History of Cars in India-arvindcar6.jpg

Quote:
The prototype of the car was made using the engine and other mechanicals that were taken from a dumped car (records show that that the engine was Fiat made). It had a 22-gauge steel platform and a box chassis that used 18-gauge steel plates. Doors, fenders, bonnet, dash and steering wheel were built in-house.
History of Cars in India-arvindcar4.jpg

Quote:
The plan was to sell the car for Rs 5,000. For that, work on a manufacturing unit had also started. However, after the death of Menon, it is said that the unit was handed over to a cooperative of his workers. The car, a testament to the ingenuity of the country, was the only thing left behind.
History of Cars in India-arvindcar10.jpg

Source
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed