Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2012, 16:31   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: History of Cars in India

Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't India the 2nd largest market, (after the UK) for Rolls Royce? I.e. During the British regime before Independence?
Old 20th June 2012, 17:28   #62
Senior - BHPian

There are many people all over the country who lost money invested in Sanjay Gandhi's Maruti venture.....a sorry story
Old 21st June 2012, 17:57   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is a full artice that appreared in the Parsi community monthly magazine Parsiana, on the Fort Coach Factory.
This was such a fascinating read! we had such amazing craftsmanship.Where is it gone after independence?

It would be worthwhile to track down the writer and see if she would have come across early motoring history non related to parsi community in the course of her research. Maybe convince her for a dinner date! what say.

Last edited by the mole : 21st June 2012 at 17:58.
Old 3rd July 2012, 15:13   #64
BHPian

Hi Mole, If memory serves me right, a close relative of the parsi coach builder Mr Press is an enthusiast and owns the travancore 1947/48 buick super convertible painted a bright yellow. Kasli restored the car for him so maybe he can get some information on the family which would be interesting. Hopefully they have pictures of all the car/ carriage bodies built by them? maybe even some drawings? Over to Kasli.
Old 20th September 2012, 10:59   #65
BANNED

Hello, I want to share a few pics of the first Maruti car from Illustrated weekly Issues ( May 25 , 1975 & March 1979 ) . I have kept those for all these years.

My Dad used to subscribe the Magazine. I was a kid then, who just loved every & anything Automobile, kept these issues from going to 'raddi walla' ( paper scrap ).
37 years now I still have them in my automobile Library, along with other such things. Till few days back, I didnt realize what importance it has ( or could have ) as an enthusiast. It struck me as ' gosh 37 yrs have passed & I still have this with me '

Apart from all the politics & other things, this was one of the Notable event in the Automobile History of India, which can not be neglected.

Please Note, I am no fan of Sanjay Gandhi, nor this is an effort to give him good light. This is just recalling & sharing 'Auto wise'

All I can say that the time was different & difficult for the family as 'we ' were under surveillance from the state & a warrant was active on Dad's Name ; but beyond that I still adore the images I have with me ( Sharing the whole article ,Including pictures )

Here to share

History of Cars in India-bhp-1.jpg

History of Cars in India-bhp2.jpg

History of Cars in India-bhp3.jpg

History of Cars in India-bhp4.jpg

History of Cars in India-bhp5.jpg

History of Cars in India-bhp6.jpg

History of Cars in India-bhp7.jpg

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 13:27   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Hello, I want to share a few pics of the first Maruti car from Illustrated weekly Issues ( May 25 , 1975 & March 1979 ) ...... Sudarshan
My folks too subscribed to the Illustrated Weekly, sadly they stopped it. The editor for some years was Khushwant Singh, and he was their best!
I too remember these articles, did not save them. That is how I know that maruti was into Road Rollers. Suzuki did not continue with that product.
Very nice post!

Cheers harit
Old 20th September 2012, 23:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

Is there any example of the "Maruti" surviving any where?
Old 21st September 2012, 09:10   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Shreeram says he has found one in Pune. Not a runner at present though.

BTW, anyone has any idea why this car didnt continue production afterall? Was it dropped in favour of the more advanced(?) SS80?
Old 21st September 2012, 11:03   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
There must be also something around in Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
......BTW, anyone has any idea why this car didnt continue production afterall? Was it dropped in favour of the more advanced(?) SS80?
Have a good look at the car, would you have bought it? And it was not really developed to be road worthy, for trials and tests at the Ahmednagar institute they imported engines from BMW(so I had heard). When the company was nationalised, they got a Suzuki partnership and then really took off.

Cheers harit
Old 21st September 2012, 18:35   #70
Senior - BHPian

Wow sudarshan,

This is so nice to see the whole article. Need to read every bit of it. The Maruti Heavy Vehicles was also in limelight then, there was a scam linked to it too. As per an elderly gent they bought all the aeging road rollers from the govt, painted, refurbished and sold them back as new. Subject to correction.

The company went into liquidation in 1977, and then in 1980 Sanjay died. This putting a final end to the chapter. There were some 10 -12 vehicles sold. I think it was the legal issues coupled with the demice of Sanjay lead to a standstill on the program. Suzuki needed a market and Indira Gandhi needed a Technology provider to refuel the project. Thus the deal was inked.
Old 21st September 2012, 19:20   #71
BHPian

I don't know if this would be of interest to anybody as it is a bit of family history and not really relevant to the main theme of this thread.
In 1919 my grandfather led an expedition across the Sahara desert driving a Half Track Citroen. This car was then brought to India and used in Bangalore from around 1920 up to 1940 or so. My dad learned to drive on this vehicle and on a T model ford also owned by my grandfather. I have pics and will upload them in a few days.Grandfather was the Chief PWD engineer in the then Mysore state and used to frequently drive from Bangalore to Mysore while supervising various construction works. Eventually when the half track was beyond repair it was buried on their farm at Kunigal.
Collector is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 20:59   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
I don't know if this would be of interest to anybody as it is a bit of family history and not really relevant to the main theme of this thread.
In 1919 my grandfather led an expedition across the Sahara desert driving a Half Track Citroen. This car was then brought to India and used in Bangalore from around 1920 up to 1940 or so. Eventually when the half track was beyond repair it was buried on their farm at Kunigal.
Interesting history!

The famous J.G. Parry-Thomas Higham Special "Babs" was dug out from under the Pendine Sands after four decades......maybe an expedition to the family farm is worth it ?

Last edited by travancore : 21st September 2012 at 21:12.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 10:40   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
.....In 1919 my grandfather led an expedition across the Sahara desert driving a Half Track Citroen. This car was then brought to India ......buried on their farm at Kunigal.
Very interesting, and very relevant. Would love to see the pics. And yes, do start an expedition to unearth that half track. Maybe it cen even be restored. Recently in Mumbai we unearthed a very rare car, and were surprised to see the condition, even the wheel caps were on! In the meanwhile, check these posts below:

Post 1632 in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-cars-109.html

Post 1674 in http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...india-112.html

Cheers harit
Old 22nd September 2012, 20:22   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
There must be also something around in Delhi.

Have a good look at the car, would you have bought it? And it was not really developed to be road worthy, for trials and tests at the Ahmednagar institute they imported engines from BMW(so I had heard). When the company was nationalised, they got a Suzuki partnership and then really took off.

Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Shreeram says he has found one in Pune. Not a runner at present though.

BTW, anyone has any idea why this car didnt continue production afterall? Was it dropped in favour of the more advanced(?) SS80?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Wow sudarshan,

This is so nice to see the whole article. Need to read every bit of it. The Maruti Heavy Vehicles was also in limelight then, there was a scam linked to it too. As per an elderly gent they bought all the aeging road rollers from the govt, painted, refurbished and sold them back as new. Subject to correction.

The company went into liquidation in 1977, and then in 1980 Sanjay died. This putting a final end to the chapter. There were some 10 -12 vehicles sold. I think it was the legal issues coupled with the demice of Sanjay lead to a standstill on the program. Suzuki needed a market and Indira Gandhi needed a Technology provider to refuel the project. Thus the deal was inked.

Here is a link to a detailed article with info about how the Sanjay Gandhi's Maruti was developed (i will call it a JUGAAD..) Do read the article.

http://www.orissabarta.com/index.php...cles&Itemid=27

See The 2nd Pic posted by Sudarshan Sir, There would have been many examples in Delhi.

Last edited by Shreeram : 22nd September 2012 at 20:32.
Shreeram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:32   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars

Some media matter from the past:

History of Cars in India-picture-074.jpg

price list of automobiles available in India in 1950

History of Cars in India-picture-076.jpg

price list of automobiles available in India in 1960

History of Cars in India-picture-291.jpg

The cover page of Automobile News (1951)

(source Autocar India, 2007)
anjan_c2007 is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks