Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2009, 13:54   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The owner told me its an Enfield AJS and I did quote here the same
IF he really is the owner, surely he couldn't think of it as such! Unless he wants people to pay less attention to it so he's trying to pass it off as just a local bike by Enfield!
Old 1st March 2009, 20:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
IF he really is the owner, surely he couldn't think of it as such! Unless he wants people to pay less attention to it so he's trying to pass it off as just a local bike by Enfield!
No stanher, most people, who owned Brit bikes like AJS, Matchless & BSA's usaully call it as AJS Bullet, Matchless Bullet, BSA Bullet,......so on..... ( particular For all the rear swing arm model bikes...........Still a very old man denies to accept BSA 350 & RE Bullet 350 with mag-dynamo ignition are from different manufacturers!! )
Even now, many ,who see's my AJS M16 & BSA bb31 ask me, what type of BULLET is this...........
And add salt to the wound, many regional "Automobile Mags", publish some Brit Classic bike pics & furnish all wrong infos, thus misleading the "AVERAGE AUTOMOBILE LOVING PUBLIC:.
For eg: BSA ---- was written as " BRITISH SPORTING ARMS", instead of " BIRMINGHAM SMALL ARMS"
& Tech aspects .....mostly.
Even if we , tell them the mistakes..........they are least bothered to re-publish the facts.
Attached Thumbnails
AJS Motorcycle-001.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-04.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-05.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-02.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st November 2009 at 18:06. Reason: 2smileys max please, and avoid using too many .....s
Old 2nd March 2009, 23:08   #18
BHPian

Mr. MKK: You truely do a very good job. Are those pilot lamps on the nacelle?
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:26   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Are those pilot lamps on the nacelle?
Yup, many AJS had them, maybe Matchless too. They look very classy in person. Very handsome bike, this.
Old 4th March 2009, 16:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Yup, many AJS had them, maybe Matchless too. They look very classy in person. Very handsome bike, this.
Perfect. I was looking at all the brochures from Matchless and then only seen this in one specific year, 1954. Have brochures from 1928 to 1965 for Matchless. These lamps look really cool. Here is a page from the 1954 brochure with the G3L.
Attached Thumbnails
AJS Motorcycle-matchless_1954_brochure_page_7.jpg  

Old 9th March 2009, 19:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Mr. MKK: You truely do a very good job. Are those pilot lamps on the nacelle?
They were called 'CITY LIGHTS", by the Brit Bike freaks in our part of the country( South).
but, Tuffryder, the stuff you see in the bike (AJS) was fabricated at my garage( a B&Q produce!!).
I managed to source a couple of lenses for CL, so no other alternative!!!.went on to make " B&Q CLs "

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th March 2009 at 04:42. Reason: Please do not type in all bold.
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:46   #22

power twin drool no actually drooooooooooooooling man you seem to a wizard where did you find all the parts? and who is your painter and chrome plating guy superb man you are a lucky man and i am a jealous man.
i am almost finalising a deal on a G3L hopefully she will the part when i am finished, where did you get this one done up how much did you spend and how long please please some more information please
more pictures too
Old 21st November 2009, 08:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopsi View Post
power twin drool no actually drooooooooooooooling man you seem to a wizard where did you find all the parts? and who is your painter and chrome plating guy superb man you are a lucky man and i am a jealous man.
i am almost finalising a deal on a G3L hopefully she will the part when i am finished, where did you get this one done up how much did you spend and how long please please some more information please
more pictures too

Lovely bike powertwin, high quality restoration !
Some pictures of my '46 AJS 16M 'Rigid' .
Attached Thumbnails
AJS Motorcycle-ajs-001-r.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-ajs-003-r.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-ajs-004-r.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-ajs-006-r.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-ajs-007-r.jpg  

Old 21st November 2009, 09:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Powertwin and Dussey, Nice bikes there. South India always seemed to have a lot of AJS/Matchless. Atleast from the many photos I have seen on the net and on the ajs groups. An old man living a few houses away had a twin 500 cc jampot when I a was a kid. Another friend in Goa owns a single still. Another friend had/has a single rijid which was raced once at Juhu but the oil pipe to the head which was changed by someone to part plastic melted and came off the banjo.
Regards
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Powertwin and Dussey, Nice bikes there. South India always seemed to have a lot of AJS/Matchless. Atleast from the many photos I have seen on the net and on the ajs groups. An old man living a few houses away had a twin 500 cc jampot when I a was a kid. Another friend in Goa owns a single still. Another friend had/has a single rijid which was raced once at Juhu but the oil pipe to the head which was changed by someone to part plastic melted and came off the banjo.
Regards
Thanks, deutsheafrikar. AJS & Matchless were a unique marque, and their machines were quite advanced for their time. They were extensively used by the army and a lot of them were then sold in surplus auctions. Even in the late sixties, I have seen some interesting Matchless bikes in auctions, including a Matchless scrambler.
You can see some interesting vehicles of mine in ' my garage', which should include a 1942 Triumph 3HW, war model, girder fork 350cc, shortly, which is ready after a rather time consuming restoration besides other bikes which will be posted after completion of their restoration sometime next year.
Old 28th November 2009, 00:34   #26

These bikes are awesome and very rare.One looks like the Royal Enfield RE model also known as the flying flee.The one with fish tail exhaust chamber.It was used during the second world war.The bikes used to land with the parachute.These used to come in an iron cage.They are extremely light weight and max speed is 60kmph.
Old 7th November 2010, 23:16   #27

The AJS was bought off by Matchless in the 1950's to form the AMC. The factory kept churing out 350 solos under both names, Matchless G3LS and AJS.
Old 8th November 2010, 06:48   #28
BHPian

Interestingly, read this article in a Local Newspaper, Actor Kamal Hassan stiill maintains his 1954 Matchless. Courtesy Malayala Manorama Newspaper.
Attached Thumbnails
AJS Motorcycle-tbhp1.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2011, 11:57   #29
BHPian

Re: AJS Motorcycle

Got a chance to photograph a 1955 AJS with my 2002 Bullet.
Both Brits look magnificient, believe me, the pictures don't do any justice.
ENJOY >>
Attached Thumbnails
AJS Motorcycle-dsc01110.jpg  

AJS Motorcycle-dsc01115.jpg  

Old 11th July 2011, 23:06   #30
BHPian

Re: AJS Motorcycle

Unfortunately 2002 Royal Enfield Bullet ain't no Brit. It is 100% Desi!!!

Last edited by Leepower : 11th July 2011 at 23:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks