1. 540K
2. 500K
3. Bentley 8 Litre (McKenzie)
4. Bentley 8 Litre (stock)
5. Delahaye 135 M
6. Daimler Double Six
7. Rollys Royce Silver Ghost (Nizam)
8).630/680 K Mercedes

Would like to ask you guys once again, if we should consider car number 8 in the above list?

We have to close this end to start stage 2 as asoon as possible.
Old 18th May 2010, 09:35   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
So then till now we have -

1. 540K
2. 500K
3. Bentley 8 Litre (McKenzie)
4. Bentley 8 Litre (stock)
5. Delahaye 135 M
6. Daimler Double Six
7. Rollys Royce Silver Ghost (Nizam)
8).630/680 K Mercedes

Would like to ask you guys once again, if we should consider car number 8 in the above list?

We have to close this end to start stage 2 as asoon as possible.
I think it is silly to have both a 500 and a 540 when a 540 is obviously the superior choice. I would think ditto for the earlier K Type.

And there is no need for anything 'as soon as possible'. There is no hurry.
Old 18th May 2010, 10:14   #138
Senior - BHPian

What about the Marmon and the Stutz

Oh BTW none of the two Bentley 8 Litres are anywhere close to "stock"

I would loof at it this way

1. 540K
2. Bentley 8 Litre - Advocatus
3. Delahaye 135 M
4. Daimler Double Six
5. RR Silver Ghost Throne Car
6 Stutz
7. Marmon
8. Lagonda - Awini

Last edited by wasif : 18th May 2010 at 10:18.
Old 18th May 2010, 14:00   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
What about the Marmon and the Stutz

Oh BTW none of the two Bentley 8 Litres are anywhere close to "stock"

I would loof at it this way

1. 540K
3. Delahaye 135 M
4. Daimler Double Six
6 Stutz
7. Marmon
8. Lagonda - Awini

We should then include bhogilal's Lagonda as earlir stated by DKG to this list.
Old 18th May 2010, 15:23   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
We should then include bhogilal's Lagonda as earlir stated by DKG to this list.
Why ? Is it more valuable than the Roadster with Awini ?
Old 18th May 2010, 15:28   #141
DKG
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion is to stick to the million dollar plus league of cars. That way you get 6-8 cars max. If you widen the scope it will hit 50 cars instantly !!
Old 18th May 2010, 16:37   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
My suggestion is to stick to the million dollar plus league of cars. That way you get 6-8 cars max. If you widen the scope it will hit 50 cars instantly !!
With all due respects DKG none of th cars on that list are anywhere closeto being million dollar cars.

Instead of looking for Million Dollar Cars in Inida, somethin akin to looking for hes teeth in India, this list should be of the top most valuable collector cars in India.

How many 540K's with the coachwork that is on the example on this list have ever gone close to a million ?
Old 18th May 2010, 17:02   #143
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
none of th cars on that list are anywhere closeto being million dollar cars.
The first 5 as per your list are most likely to trade upwards of a million dollars Wasif. In any case this is only a measure that can be applied to good effect to sort the list.

Last edited by DKG : 18th May 2010 at 17:04.
Old 18th May 2010, 20:09   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The first 5 as per your list are most likely to trade upwards of a million dollars Wasif. In any case this is only a measure that can be applied to good effect to sort the list.
DKG, I agree with you.

Wasif, you have to appreciate that even if the "million dollar cars" would not fetch that sum, the fact is that the Indian cars are still examples of the same cars that have already fetched that figure. That is undeniable. However, your example of the 540 k with it's bodywork is correct - it isn't a million dollar car, but will fetch close to the mark.

As I have said before, I don't think there are more than 3/4 cars that are in the genuine 1m+ league. The RR, Bentley, Delahaye are cars I can judge, but the rest I do not know enough about.

Trying to bring in other factors like rarity are of little consequence. Just because something is rare does not make it collectible. You have used the term "most valuable collector's cars in India" - as far as I can see this is what is being collated.

As DKG said, this is only a measure. I have suggested this measure because it is by the far the most empirical of the methods we have tried.

Wasif, why not stick your top ten up in full so that we can discuss it, with your justifications? We are using international auction prices as ours, and the evidence is clear. Why not let us try and understand your reasons?

The list that is being compiled is never going to be a 100% correct, but by using the measure of international valuation it will be as close to correct as we can get.

Last edited by Faster789 : 18th May 2010 at 20:18.
Old 18th May 2010, 21:26   #145
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Regardless of the measure we apply its evident that the top few cars are the ones we have highlighted. Atleast to the best of our knowledge. Now if a special Duesenberg emerges from an old mansion in Calcutta we stand corrected

Actually what would be more fascinating is to compile a list of all the special versions of the RR's and Bentleys surviving in India. And then move onto other marques.

Should be a great eyeopener to many as there are some fabulous cars in India which are not necessarily million dollar cars but extremely impressive or beautiful cars.
Old 18th May 2010, 23:12   #146
Senior - BHPian

A suggested top ten list

Rolls Royce of Nizam or lalji collection Delhi
Bentley 8 litre Mckenzie
540 k Jackie SHROFF
Bugatti mallya's
PACKARD 12 twin six
Stutz
Minerva
INVICTA bhogilal

Will have todo some more research , this is a suggested list only
Old 18th May 2010, 23:18   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Rolls Royce of Nizam or lalji collection Delhi
Bentley 8 litre Mckenzie
540 k Jackie SHROFF
Bugatti mallya's
PACKARD 12 twin six
Stutz
Minerva
INVICTA bhogilal

Will have todo some more research , this is a suggested list only
From all your list I can identify/relate to 4 cars and one defunct movie theater.
I will have to do a lot of research.
Old 19th May 2010, 11:05   #148
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you Faster but what I was saying is that as per the title fo this thread it would be a fun exercise to compile a list a the ten most valuable collectors cars in India.

Now going by your approach to locate ten million dollar cars in India is not possible.

In the million dollar catagory only the five cars listed below would come close and like DFG said if a Duesy emerges or the Caddy V16 it would go on the list but apart from these tell me if you feel there are any more.

1. 540K
3. Delahaye 135 M
4. Daimler Double Six

Now going by the title of this thread a list of top ten collector cars in India today would go as below. This is as per my personal judgment and am open to correction adn sugessions on this.

1. 540K
3. Delahaye 135 M
4. Daimler Double Six
6. Mercedes 500 K Gondol / Bombay
7. Stutz - Titus
8. Marmon
9. Lanchester Coach Alwar
10. RR P II - Jodhpur No 27 94 RF

What do you feel about this !

Also it would be nice if anyone can compile the list with actual pictures of these cars

The lanchester is pictured below along with the Lagonda and the 500K
Attached Thumbnails
Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-lanchesterhs4.jpg  

Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-merc20temp.jpg  

Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-pict8102.jpg  

wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2010, 14:14   #149
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you Faster but what I was saying is that as per the title fo this thread it would be a fun exercise to compile a list a the ten most valuable collectors cars in India.
Cheers Wasif, I follow what you mean now.

Quote:
Now going by your approach to locate ten million dollar cars in India is not possible.
Quote:
In the million dollar catagory only the five cars listed below would come close and like DFG said if a Duesy emerges or the Caddy V16 it would go on the list but apart from these tell me if you feel there are any more.
The list below is spot on I think and what I've been saying all along! Only thing I don't think we see eye to eye on is the matter of the V16. Great car, but at the end of the day not in the same league as a Bentley, etc. Difficult to talk about the Duesenberg without some more details!

[quote=wasif;1893590]Now going by the title of this thread a list of top ten collector cars in India today would go as below. This is as per my personal judgment and am open to correction adn sugessions on this.[/quote}

I think I agree with your list. It's a good blend of cars that have proven their value at auction and a couple of other important Indian cars that (not sure how, but they do!) stand above the other marvellous cars India has. I agree with putting in both 5xx Mercs. Leaving one out just because a 540k is superiour is like like leaving out a 250 SWB because a California Spider is currently flavour of the month. I would attach the same argument to including the second (Bhogilal) Bentley. I saw the car a couple of years ago. Not in great condition, with some very strange gauges, but at the end of the day it is an example of one of a 100, of what is often argued as the greatest car Britain ever produced.

Only car I don't think quite fits is the Lanchester. Not a huge international draw and not quite there. I think the S Type Invicta is a superb car, rare, etc but slightly more valuable than the Lanchester.

My list

1. 540K
3. Delahaye 135 M
4. Daimler Double Six
6. Mercedes 500 K Gondol / Bombay
7. RR P II - Jodhpur No 27 94 RF
8. 8 Litre (Bhogilal)
9. Stutz - Titus
10. Marmon
10. Invicta S Type

The top 5 cars are, I think, without peer in the country at least and to put them in actual order would be very difficult.
Faster789 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2010, 14:36   #150
Senior - BHPian

Great ! Now at the very least we're on the same page on this one eh ?

I agree, that Invicta is a great car so we can definitely add it ot the list. Since nobody has a picture of th V16 Caddy and there is no lead to the existance of a Duesenberg in India they can safely be out of the consideration for now.

The Lanchester is a very unique car but as you say the Bhogilal Bentley will definitely out price it so your list is perfect.

Did you ever see the Bhogilal 540K or the Gondol 500K ? If the criteria is purely value then both the 540K's in India and both teh 500K's would have to be on this list.

The earlier K series Merc in Delhi and the Mallya Merc could also be of merit in this context.

In my opinion had that 275 GTB/C that was with Dr. Rossi in Bombay been still around it would definitely be on this list too being one of six aluminium bodied conpetition model that it was.

Last edited by wasif : 19th May 2010 at 14:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks