Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2010, 23:52   #121
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
A million for a RR DHC PII? I think not!
Of the 278 PII Continentals made only 2 were DHC's. These will be highly desirable cars don't you think?

Only 2 cars on the planet, that too DHC's, that too RR's, that too Continentals
Old 12th May 2010, 23:55   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Of the 278 PII Continentals made only 2 were DHC's. These will be highly desirable cars don't you think?

Its becomeing interesting by each passing minute
Old 13th May 2010, 03:51   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Only too happy to help . Plus, I'm fairly sure they made more than two DHC. I'm not sure I can prove the productions numbers in the time I have available to me at the moment, but I'd take my word for it

I think you'll find I was in the correct ball park. Please have a look at the links.

RM AUCTIONS

To paraphrase the links:

1x 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Continental DHC - $430,000 (2008)

1x 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II Continental DHC - $357,000 (2010)

Very impressed with RM. Almost every model of note has been through their doors in the recent past.
Old 13th May 2010, 03:55   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Here it is. I thought I'd seen almost identical specs somewhere.

RM AUCTIONS

RR, Phantom II, Continental and Gurney Nutting to boot. This the comparator.

$500,000.

Definitely worth putting on the list at 8, 9 or 10 I think, but certainly not in the million dollar league as I said.
Old 13th May 2010, 09:52   #125
Senior - BHPian

There are hardly any cars in India that would actually sell at acuction for a million dollars. Save the Nizams Silver Ghost and maybe one of the 8 Litre Bentleys none of the cars present in India today will even crack 750,000 USD today

This whole exercise will be futile if you keep that as a benchmark.

I thought this was about trying to determin which are the ten most valuable cars in India today.

The Titus Stutz, though definitely not a million dollar car will fetch a decent price anywhere in the world so it needs to be considered as would that Marmon that is mentioned here. Have stil to see it but it would definitely have a good responce at auction as would any of the supercharged "K" Mercs.

BTW lets put up pictures of teh contendors so others can see what cars are being discussed and understand this better.

I really want to see pics of the J Shroff 540K and the Bhogilal 540K

Last edited by wasif : 13th May 2010 at 09:58.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:53   #126
Senior - BHPian

Is this the much discussed ex Ravi Kumar / Jackie Shroff 540K ?
Attached Thumbnails
Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-132.jpg  

Old 13th May 2010, 12:17   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
I really want to see pics of the J Shroff 540K and the Bhogilal 540K
The picture you have posted is indeed the Shroff 540K, reportedly still undergoing restoration.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th May 2010 at 13:16. Reason: pics moved to correct thread.
Old 13th May 2010, 12:22   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The picture you have posted is indeed the Shroff 540K, reportedly still undergoing restoration.
the progress from bits and pieces to the state it is in the last picture in itself is remarkable.

What is the crrent state as of now. Does anyone have any more pictures of it !

BTW the more expensive and sought after 540K's are the Special Roadsters like the Holkar car. This kind might not even hit 600,000 K at auction.
Attached Thumbnails
Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-1.jpg  

Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-2.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th May 2010 at 13:17. Reason: Pics moved to this thread
Old 13th May 2010, 14:42   #129
BHPian

Quote:

This whole exercise will be futile if you keep that as a benchmark.
Hello Wasif.

The purpose of using auction prices was not to establish how much each car would fetch at auction. It was to be used a measure for the relative importance of each example of a particular marque. I am inclined to agree with you that the bulk of the cars in the "million dollar league", would in fact struggle to get to that mark, based on condition, coachwork, etc.

The purpose was to use the figure to broadly establish (in the absence of any other firm criteria) a pecking order of sorts, based on the desiribality of the cars abroad. A rough rule of thumb would appear to be; the more desirable the car, the higher the price at auction.

It is impossible to determine the exact status of each car in India given the lack of information which is detailed enough to allow in depth analysis. However, it is possible to assess its collectibility on the basis of the desirability of a genre of cars (i.e. 540k Mercedes, 8 Litre Bentleys, Silver Ghosts in general) based on prices realised.

Quote:
I thought this was about trying to determin which are the ten most valuable cars in India today.
I can't really agree with that. I'm new here, but the title of the thread is quite clear: "top ten collectible cars in India".

To use your criteria, a Bugatti Veyron (if there was one here, and I'm sure it's a matter of time) is arguably more valuable than a number of the cars on the list, but more collectible when it reaches a ripe old age? I wouldn't think so...
Old 13th May 2010, 18:38   #130
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry, should have been more precise. I meant top ten most valuable vintage / classic collector cars.
Old 15th May 2010, 01:49   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanramesh View Post
I remember reading this article in BSM about this really rare Invicta in the Bogilal collection. if i rememebr correctly this was also coined the "Widow Maker" back in the 30s.
The Invicta you mention is a 1930's Invicta 4.5 Litre S Type. Very rare (only about 70 - 80 made) and a huge leap forward from the older 2.5 litre Invictas that preceded it. These cars have incredible torque and this particular car was well known in Bombay.

Now owned by Mr Bhogilal and currently clothed in a rather unattractive shade of purple, and previously owned by Mr Khan (8 Litre). A superb machine, but not quite in top ten territory.

Not sure I have come across the widow-maker monicker in my travels, a term that is currently adopted (perhaps unfairly) by the 911 (996) GT2.
Old 17th May 2010, 11:11   #132
Senior - BHPian

Invicta

Guys,

we are also forgetting another important car that can be rated in the Top Ten list and that is the Invicta Black Prince in Mumbai

This can be counted for sure as these are rare and very few survive.

Cheers
kasli
Old 17th May 2010, 13:15   #133
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Guys,

we are also forgetting another important car that can be rated in the Top Ten list and that is the Invicta Black Prince in Mumbai

This can be counted for sure as these are rare and very few survive.

Cheers
kasli
Any pictures of this car? The only picture I saw of Bhogilal's car was in an old Indian Auto Journal, I think, which featured his collection. Gorgeous machine for sure.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:20   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any pictures of this car? The only picture I saw of Bhogilal's car was in an old Indian Auto Journal, I think, which featured his collection. Gorgeous machine for sure.
The Black Prince is a sedan if I am not mistaken. Either ways it is not as valuable as the Bhogilal Roadster and since this roadster also has been shot off teh list I dare say the Black Prince would be too
Old 17th May 2010, 15:11   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bhogilal's S Type photos are available in his thread. A fabulous car indeed. The Black Prince was featured some time back in BSMotoring magazine, and more recently in Auto India. It was last restored in Pune in the capable hands of the legendary Aderbad Setna, who unfortunately recently passed away.

Quote:
The Black Prince is a sedan if I am not mistaken. Either ways it is not as valuable as the Bhogilal Roadster and since this roadster also has been shot off teh list I dare say the Black Prince would be too
The Black Prince is a cabrio. It is perhaps more boring/conventional than the S1 though it featured technological advancements like hydro kinetic auto gearbox (which never ever worked though) and a powerful DOHC Meadows engine. A dozen odd cars were made, maybe half survive. I believe the Bombay car (in long term ownership) is the only one yet to retain the Meadows engine, though the gearbox was chucked out ages back in favour of a Borg & Warner unit that actually worked. Most survivors today use Jaguar mechanicals Im told.

It is significant in being a very expensive car for its day, plus the last Invicta model sold, plus a very rare survivor. This particular car has great provenance too, being originally Mysore, then Gondal, then present owner. Whether it is top 10 material - I leave to the elders

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks