Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 14:47   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Great ! Now at the very least we're on the same page on this one eh ?
Just you and me mate! Let's see if it ever gets to poll stage! Agree with your point about the other 540K as well.

Quote:
In my opinion had that 275 GTB/C that was with Dr. Rossi in Bombay been still around it would definitely be on this list too being one of six aluminium bodied conpetition model that it was.
That was a superb car and without doubt right up there. It had the left side of it's body completely written off as the result of a race down South, but an excellent piece of metal working ensured that it was fine going forward. Sold to a buyer in Japan during the boom period.Amongst others, Rossi had two other lovely cars, an Alfa (Guilletta - can't recall?)and a Lancia Flaminia Zagato.

Both superb cars, with the Lancia being the rarer and more valuable (it's got particular Indian history, being the current Bombay - Pune record holder - the road is now changed, so that record will stand forever!) but neither can quite make it into the top ten.
Old 19th May 2010, 14:50   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
That was a superb car and without doubt right up there. It had the left side of it's body completely written off as the result of a race down South, but an excellent piece of metal working ensured that it was fine going forward. Sold to a buyer in Japan during the boom period.Amongst others, Rossi had two other lovely cars, an Alfa (Guilletta - can't recall?)and a Lancia Flaminia Zagato.

Both superb cars, with the Lancia being the rarer and more valuable (it's got particular Indian history, being the current Bombay - Pune record holder - the road is now changed, so that record will stand forever!) but neither can quite make it into the top ten.
Off topic, but Faster you seem to have 'been there done that' - would you have some old photos of these cars to share for academic interest? Not necessarily limited to these 3...
Old 19th May 2010, 17:12   #153
Senior - BHPian

Yes it would be a treat t see any old pics that you might want to share and even stories about the cars that you have observed or even owned.
Old 19th May 2010, 17:16   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Off topic, but Faster you seem to have 'been there done that' - would you have some old photos of these cars to share for academic interest? Not necessarily limited to these 3...
I have a small collection, but these aren't in digital format unfortunately. I'll get around to it someday I guess.
Old 19th May 2010, 18:02   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it would be a treat t see any old pics that you might want to share and even stories about the cars that you have observed or even owned.
Thank you for the interest Wasif, as I get to know people better I might volunteer a little about myself.

Last edited by Faster789 : 19th May 2010 at 18:13.
Old 21st May 2010, 13:00   #156
DKG
Senior - BHPian

A Bugatti 57SC traded at $30 million. Its one of three. I think the Nizam's RR will trade at $50 million, its the only one made !! I better run for cover, I hear gun shots !

BTW I once read this entire Bugatti's body was made in strips of metal. I believe that was needed to get the wild shapes and contours

Last edited by DKG : 21st May 2010 at 13:01.
Old 21st May 2010, 14:11   #157
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
this entire Bugatti's body
errata: Bugatti's entire body
Old 21st May 2010, 15:21   #158
BHPian

Quote:
I think the Nizam's RR will trade at $50 million.
Hi DKG, I suspect you have an affiliation with the family or the collection. Do you?

Last edited by Faster789 : 21st May 2010 at 15:29.
Old 21st May 2010, 15:26   #159
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi DKG, I suspect you have an affiliation with the family or the collection. Do you?
Perceptive !!

Yes we know the owner and I had the pleasure of shifting the cars to their present home
Old 21st May 2010, 15:57   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Perceptive !!

Yes we know the owner and I had the pleasure of shifting the cars to their present home
Something had to explain the very rose tints on your glasses!
Old 21st May 2010, 16:04   #161
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Something had to explain the very rose tints on your glasses!
well I do sincerely believe that is one heck of a wild Rolls Royce !! Its so over the top that it featured in a news item in the NY Times (if I recall correctly) in 1912 when the car was completed and shipped to India. It has only 356 miles on it !!

This is how it looked when it left Barker (btw did you see the thread on his cars?)

Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-nizam2520maharaja2520rr2520autocar.jpg

Last edited by DKG : 21st May 2010 at 16:06.
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:12   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A Bugatti 57SC traded at $30 million. Its one of three. I think the Nizam's RR will trade at $50 million, its the only one made !! I better run for cover, I hear gun shots !

BTW I once read this entire Bugatti's body was made in strips of metal. I believe that was needed to get the wild shapes and contours

DKG... The Nizam's RR is definitely going to be a great hit if ever was to hit the international market.

It is not entirely due to the fact that it is the only one made but do to a combination of that and the low mileage it has on it and the state it is in now.

Though it now is in the need for a complete restoration what is actually on that car is totally original and many lessons can be learned about how things were done in those days by looking at the car.

This car in my opinion should never be restored but maybe put in working order and preserved as is whith an eye to stop futher deterioration.
Old 23rd May 2010, 15:31   #163
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This car in my opinion should never be restored but maybe put in working order and preserved as is whith an eye to stop futher deterioration.
Apart from a senior restorer you are the only person who seem to understand how precious it is to preserve that car so. I am very glad to hear this. Believe me its just our luck that the restoration figures quoted were astronomical and pure economics have allowed these jewels to remain as is.

You will be pleased to know that the RR can be started. Maybe someday time permitting we'll get the beauty fired up again. Ali Taqi was always called in by the prince and had the car started every once in a while. Its been many years now but I'm sure she'll fire up
Old 23rd May 2010, 21:17   #164
BHPian

DKG, Wasif and Karlosdeville, could you guys get together offline (email I mean) and decide on the top ten please? Once done, please post them up.

Time to get onto stage 2 for what it's worth. Be interesting to see how the bodywork, modficiations, etc play out on the forum and translate into desirability.
Old 24th May 2010, 01:36   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DKG, Wasif and Karlosdeville, could you guys get together offline (email I mean) and decide on the top ten please? Once done, please post them up.

Time to get onto stage 2 for what it's worth. Be interesting to see how the bodywork, modficiations, etc play out on the forum and translate into desirability.

What is the prupose of doing it on the email ? If it is done here then others can see it as well. DKG, Wasif and Karl are not the only members on this forum and i beg to differ but this community is equal for all.

As Karl said in one of his older posts " What is the hurry ?"

No offence ment at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks