Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2009, 13:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Vintage Car Rally (?) Display in Trivandrum - Part 1

Hello Guys,

Recently I was in Trivandrum. Since I was house-bound for almost 10 days, I was going through my papers from the past. One of that was my first and probably only atempt at being a Journalist along with the film negative of the pictures I took of the event I covered.

About 20 summers ago, when I still had the idea of being a Automobile Journalist one day, I covered a Vintage Car Rally in Trivandrum. I covered it for Car & Bike and Indian Autojournal

It was published in IAJ in the March 1990 issue (with only one photo of Chevrolet Master Deluxe 1939). C&B I am not sure when (I still have the letter from C&B asking me to cover the event)

The Photos attached were reprinted from the negative and the negative was not in good condition and hence, the pictures also look rather "aged".
(suits the mood I suppose)

The Article was done at an age when Internet was not there in Trivandrum and hence not well researched. I am sure would have howlers about the vehicles shown there and I am sure you guys can have a good laugh about.

Since there are few pictures I would post them in couple of posts. This being the first set

Pictures attached here are as foolows:
  1. The Assembly
  2. BSA 250cc 1941 (3 pics)
  3. Chevrolet Master Deluxe 1939 (2 pics)
  4. Hanomag 1937
I wonder where these cars are now and if there were any such events in Trivandrum ever since January 1990.

Hope you guys would enjoy this

Take care & Drive safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Car Rally (?) Display in Trivandrum - Part 1-assembly.jpg  

Vintage Car Rally (?) Display in Trivandrum - Part 1-bsa-250-cc-1941.jpg  

Vintage Car Rally (?) Display in Trivandrum - Part 1-bsa-250-cc-1941a.jpg  

Vintage Car Rally (?) Display in Trivandrum - Part 1-bsa-250-cc-1941bjpg.jpg  

Vintage Car Rally (?) Display in Trivandrum - Part 1-chevrolet-1939.jpg  

Vintage Car Rally (?) Display in Trivandrum - Part 1-chevrolet-1939a.jpg  

Vintage Car Rally (?) Display in Trivandrum - Part 1-hanomag-1937.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: doc Oldies Parade.doc (27.5 KB, 671 views)

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 1st September 2009 at 13:40.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2009, 13:48   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

I wonder where these cars are now and if there were any such events in Trivandrum ever since January 1990.

Ram
Indeed amazing !

Right now the situation in trivandrum is such, we dont have enough space to park even new vehicles. lets hope these beauties are well maintained.
Old 1st September 2009, 14:16   #3
BHPian

Excellent Mr. Nair, keep them coming.

As you rightly put it, the photographs look very period and suits the mood and the 3rd para in your .doc which talks about the Mruti,s Ambys and Premiers really do transport us to the days of yore.

Thanks and as said before looking for more.
Old 1st September 2009, 14:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

very nice pictures. I see a Kinetic honda. might have been a premium at that time.
Old 1st September 2009, 15:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

That Hanomag looks pretty retro never knew of the existance of the brand and a car in India to top it!
Old 2nd September 2009, 00:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

First time I heard of and saw pics of a Hanomag in India. Any idea where the car is now and if it is in good shape. Would love to see interior and engine bay pics of this car.
Old 2nd September 2009, 00:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the pix nair sir. pls keep them coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
First time I heard of and saw pics of a Hanomag in India. Any idea where the car is now and if it is in good shape. Would love to see interior and engine bay pics of this car.
The car still survives. It has a different colour scheme now. Or could be another car altogether. Not sure! nair sir, do you know the number of this car?
Old 2nd September 2009, 08:59   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Great to know that such rallies were also held in a big way in the past too, when clubs weren't too common!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
I see a Kinetic honda. might have been a premium at that time.
I see a Lamby 150 (green one in 1st pic.) Might not have been a premium at that time...but nevertheless feels good to see one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
As you rightly put it, the photographs look very period and suits the mood and the 3rd para in your .doc which talks about the Maruti,s Ambys and Premiers really do transport us to the days of yore.
Yes nice article indeed, but I wish Standards also were mentioned; as they too were very much still running around down south atleast, at the time!
Old 2nd September 2009, 10:00   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
actually there are 2(or3) hanomags that still exist in INDIA.
one is in Gujarath.
The dark blue car shown here came as part of CARE(centre for American Relief Everywhere) and it is actually a 1939 car not 1937 .it was in Kerala till 2007 and now it has gone to Tamil nadu if my info is correct.
by the way mr.RRnair,please pm me the reg no of PONTIAC LEMANS And the RENAULT JOUVAQUATRE
Old 2nd September 2009, 10:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Great to know that such rallies were also held in a big way in the past too, when clubs weren't too common!

I see a Lamby 150 (green one in 1st pic.) Might not have been a premium at that time...but nevertheless feels good to see one!

Yes nice article indeed, but I wish Standards also were mentioned; as they too were very much still running around down south atleast, at the time!
Stanher,

By 1990s Standards were a rare thing in Trivandrum. (The last Standard in my family was sold in 1982). They were never too popular in TVM and hence the name did not come to my mind readily while writing the peice.

Have few more photos from this. Will put it up.

Thanks and Best Regards

Ram
Old 2nd September 2009, 10:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
actually there are 2(or3) hanomags that still exist in INDIA.
one is in Gujarath.
The dark blue car shown here came as part of CARE(centre for American Relief Everywhere) and it is actually a 1939 car not 1937 .it was in Kerala till 2007 and now it has gone to Tamil nadu if my info is correct.
by the way mr.RRnair,please pm me the reg no of PONTIAC LEMANS And the RENAULT JOUVAQUATRE
Ajay,

Your info about the TVM Hanomag is wrong. This was never part of CARE. This car has been in TVM since 1942 (before CARE). Last when I saw it it was Black and not dark blue.

The very reason I have removed the numbers from the pics is that the owners do not like to be troubled by all and sundry (Col. Nair was no too happy about you calling him up out of the blue to enquire about Herald KLV 33). So I am sorry and don't expect any PM from me with the number of Lemans and Renault.

Best Regards

Ram
Old 2nd September 2009, 10:26   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Stanher,

By 1990s Standards were a rare thing in Trivandrum. (The last Standard in my family was sold in 1982). They were never too popular in TVM and hence the name did not come to my mind readily while writing the peice.
I would like to know more- what standard was it? If you have any pics. I'd love to see them! You could put them up in the Standard cars thread, thanks.
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I would like to know more- what standard was it? If you have any pics. I'd love to see them! You could put them up in the Standard cars thread, thanks.
Stanher,

The car was a 1968 Herald. Mark II, Two Door. With the three light combo in front. The boot lid was the plain type, with spare tyre in the cradle out side.

It was registered on 7th Feb 1968 (wedding date of my uncle and we took the bride home in that). I will try and look up some of the pictures when I am in India next,

It was steel gray in colour. My dad bout it new from the dealer (Stanes Motors) Trivandrum for INR 16,850.00. It was with him until 1982. He was very careful man and the car was in immaculate condition till he sold it).

The only problem it had (kind of recurring from it was about 4 years old) was the Lock Nuts on the two flange joints of the Right & Left rear axils had a tendency to become loose and break when they were loose enough. I used to get INR 5.00 every week frm my dad to jack up and go under the car to tighten them up. So breakages were minimal in that sense.

When it was sold for INR 13,000.00 (milage at that point was 21,000 KM and sold because dad felt two cars was a luxury when he bought a new Amby MK IV and genuine spares were becoming a problem).

(Another stange coincidence was that with in two months of selling the car Dad was down with cancer and his treatment cost in Tata Memorial Hospita, Bombay, the Bill came to exactly INR 13,000.00, As though the car was paying for my Dad's treatment).

The car was sold to a Army Captain. I knew that he had the car until 2002. I went looking for it recently to see if I could get it back. Alas! I was told that it had been bought by a scrap buyer in 2005.

I will try and get the pictures.

Take care & drive safe

Ram
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ajay,

Your info about the TVM Hanomag is wrong. This was never part of CARE. This car has been in TVM since 1942 (before CARE). Last when I saw it it was Black and not dark blue.

Ram
Ajay thanks for the PM. May be the Hanomag was repainted to Dark Blue since 1990. We are talking about the same car. The manufacturers plate of the car had 1937 on it - I have seen it myself. May be the RTOs wrote 7 as 9 in their records. About the CARE bit I can clarify latter.

Best Regards

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 2nd September 2009 at 11:41.
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ajay thanks for the PM. May be the Hanomag was repainted to Dark Blue since 1990. We are talking about the same car. The manufacturers plate of the car had 1937 on it - I have seen it myself. May be the RTOs wrote 7 as 9 in their records. About the CARE bit I can clarify latter.

Best Regards

Ram
the present colour of the car is not blue but another colour which I have already told you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks