Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 15:32   #46
BHPian

Topolino Engine rebuild Video!

Hello all!

The engine head has been the Achilles heel of the ' Topolino '. My dad who owned this and many other cars in the 60's and 70's had warned us about the head issue, but we just laughed it off thinking it was probably an issue back in the day and with all the new technology at our disposal, it would really be not an issue now...but Alas :(

PAVAN and I have left no stone unturned. I got a lot of help from a restorer who loves this car and has two of them (both type B and C Topolino) and he has worked extensively on this engine head and has 3 or four of the heads which he has perfected! Sadly,he's not on this forum :(
His close friend VINTAGEMAN on TBHP who also owns a type B 500 Topolino could join this discussion and help us out. The idea is to make this the best restored 500C in the country. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I found this Engine Restoration video on Youtube...this is a 1949 500B type but the Engine is the same on my car. Awesome rebuild, we are aiming to do this to our car...enjoy. Thanks.

-AirbusDriver
Old 10th June 2010, 16:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRBUSDriver View Post
Hello all!

The engine head has been the Achilles heel of the ' Topolino '. My dad who owned this and many other cars in the 60's and 70's had warned us about the head issue, but we just laughed it off thinking it was probably an issue back in the day and with all the new technology at our disposal, it would really be not an issue now...but Alas :(

PAVAN and I have left no stone unturned. I got a lot of help from a restorer who loves this car and has two of them (both type B and C Topolino) and he has worked extensively on this engine head and has 3 or four of the heads which he has perfected! Sadly,he's not on this forum :(
His close friend VINTAGEMAN on TBHP who also owns a type B 500 Topolino could join this discussion and help us out. The idea is to make this the best restored 500C in the country. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I found this Engine Restoration video on Youtube...this is a 1949 500B type but the Engine is the same on my car. Awesome rebuild, we are aiming to do this to our car...enjoy. Thanks.

YouTube - Fiat Topolino 1949

-AirbusDriver
Suggest you look into importing a complete engien from Europe if you intend to drive this car regularly.

Please let me know if you need any help and I will send you the required contacts.

It might be a great idea to become a mamber of teh Fiat 500 club. They will be the best source for any parts that you might need.

Best of luck.
Old 10th June 2010, 18:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all!

-AirbusDriver
I think you are referring to Mr. Akhilesh Agarwal who resides in Lucknow. Well he has quite a few restored fiats,a Milecento & the 2 you mentioned by you. His Fiat 500 B is a daily runner and is seen on the roads frequently. SO he must have some backup parts ready for it. He also happens to be living very close to my house.
I think you must consult Mr. Ashutosh Chauhan (Perak on TBHP), younger brother to Vintageman(Capt. Chauhan) for your problems. If you require his cell no do let me know.

Last edited by samsag12 : 10th June 2010 at 18:08.
Old 10th June 2010, 20:50   #49
BANNED

OMG.

We are in for some trouble. Our T-BHP is such a helpful forum,AIRBUSDriver (JOY) is so much into this restoration, he wants everything right. This builds up lots of expectations and pressure, which i Enjoy

My Banking job has lost its set of challenges presently, but my restorations are suddenly becoming more challenging and interesting, We get a call from Nikhil (Madhus fame) saying he's willing to help source the exact whitewall, cross ply tyres

I take one rim and we test a ordinary radial tyre and 14 inch fits just perfectly. yaaay....!

The rims are in bad shape, few are bent and few are see through. (Aaagh.....)
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-090610_1804.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-090610_1805.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-090610_1817.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-090610_1628.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-090610_1818.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-090610_1819.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-100610_1143.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-090610_1631.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 10th June 2010 at 20:59.
Old 10th June 2010, 21:12   #50
BHPian

Topolino, I can surely describe this vehicle as The God of small things.
The car is so compactly built and the engine inspite of its size, is still 4 cylinders (Volkswagen should learn). The way the radiator fan moves is certainly clever.
My ex-office had a topolino without an engine inside the office, given by our own Kasli. They had planned to make it a Juke box. Hope they have done something about it.
Old 11th June 2010, 09:37   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
The car is so compactly built and the engine inspite of its size, is still 4 cylinders (Volkswagen should learn). The way the radiator fan moves is certainly clever.
My ex-office had a topolino without an engine inside the office, given by our own Kasli. They had planned to make it a Juke box. Hope they have done something about it.
Hmmm.... Buddy, If you must know, even the First engine developed by VW would still be running Stock to this day. But could not help with your comment being a bit rude. Air-cooled VW engines are 4 cylinders and the Best engines ever produced. Absolutely 0 maintenance.

Coming back to the car. Work on the body panels started.

We start work by working on one side of the car, each and evey hinge are removed, new pins being put and the doors from the donor car is set.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p190310_15.56.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p190310_16.09.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p190310_16.13.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p190310_16.14.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p190310_16.20.jpg  

Old 14th June 2010, 10:46   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all!

We own a 1946 FIAT 500 which is in running condition and maintained by my father. My father knows each and every thing about all the variants of this car. Please feel free to write if you have any issues.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:57   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Joy and others - after much delay, here are some useful pages from the 500C manual. You can download them from this link.

Download Manual.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
Old 14th June 2010, 18:13   #54
BANNED

As we started working on the Door, we realised, we are about to replace the floor panels also, and this meant, even a fresh running board and the box also need to be done. We abandon the work on the door and start removing the floor panels and also the running board.

Not that the running board was bad, but it was welded on to the Chassis, and since we are going Full Out to get this car in Concurs condition, we instruct the tinker to replicate the original style for handcrafting the floor pans and also the running board.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p300310_14.58.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p300310_14.58_01.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p300310_15.20.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p300310_15.20_01.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-p300310_15.20_02.jpg  

Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-topolinoleftfloorpan.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 15th June 2010, 23:27   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Joy and others - after much delay, here are some useful pages from the 500C manual. You can download them from this link.

Download Manual.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
Wow! Karlos... this manual is what I've been after!!

I was planning to make the donor Topolino into a Wagon Topolino as seen in the manual. It would be of great help if I could get a clear copy of this entire manual. I'll have it picked up from you and returned promptly after making a color copy. Thanks.
Old 15th June 2010, 23:43   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
We own a 1946 FIAT 500 which is in running condition and maintained by my father. My father knows each and every thing about all the variants of this car. Please feel free to write if you have any issues.
@ Topolino

What we're restoring is a 1950 type C Topolino. Does your dad have any manuals, books or brochures of the type C which we can use? Also, any parts or spares for this model will be greatly appreciated...especially the tail lights and the Dashboard/switches/trim. Please help if you do...my goal is to restore this car back to it's period looks and condition. Thanks.
Old 16th June 2010, 09:00   #57
BHPian

Here is onother topolino in Pune.saw recently inZigwheel rally.
Attached Thumbnails
Pilots & his 1950 Mouse Restoration - Fiat Topolino Delivered-dsc.jpg  

Old 16th June 2010, 09:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Topolino

What we're restoring is a 1950 type C Topolino. Does your dad have any manuals, books or brochures of the type C which we can use? Also, any parts or spares for this model will be greatly appreciated...especially the tail lights and the Dashboard/switches/trim. Please help if you do...my goal is to restore this car back to it's period looks and condition. Thanks.
Dominator on the forum have the same manual (500C) and he happens to be from Bangalore .

Here is the pics he posted of the the same long time ago

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/961495-post48.html

The 500C at the Zigwheels Drive is owned by the man himself (the Editor) and was bought by him in 2000.

Last edited by manishalive : 16th June 2010 at 09:59.
Old 16th June 2010, 21:40   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veldeep View Post
Here is onother topolino in Pune.saw recently inZigwheel rally.
This is by far the finest(original) TOPOLINO 'C' I've seen in the country...yet!

I've seen pics of a decent car somewhere in the North( Delhi plates) and a white car recently seen at a Chennai show...but they lacked a lot of original parts like the wheels/semaphores/ragtop etc.

Karlos did mention about Adil Jharukanwala's Car...but I did not know it was such a fine example. I wish I could talk to Adil about his restoration...can anyone introduce me to Adil ?

@ Karlos, Notice the Semaphore trafficators on this car? It was not a feature on all cars...maybe it was only on the 1949 and 1950 models??
The cars shown in the manual you have does not have it....maybe it was removed from the later models ???
Old 16th June 2010, 21:57   #60
BANNED

Quote:
This is by far the finest(original) TOPOLINO 'C' I've seen in the country...yet!

I've seen pics of a decent car somewhere in the North( Delhi plates) and a white car recently seen at a Chennai show...but they lacked a lot of original parts like the wheels/semaphores/ragtop etc.

Karlos did mention about Adil Jharukanwala's Car...but I did not know it was such a fine example. I wish I could talk to Adil about his restoration...can anyone introduce me to Adil ?

@ Karlos, Notice the Semaphore trafficators on this car? It was not a feature on all cars...maybe it was only on the 1949 and 1950 models??
The cars shown in the manual you have does not have it....maybe it was removed from the later models ???
I agree , Adil's car is by far the best car seen in the country untill now.

Dont you remember me showing you the body holes meant for the Semaphores in your car, sadly they were welded earlier, we shall open it up for you

Kindly make a little effort in putting up the floor pics, since i donot have them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks